2017 YTD investment performance thread

robnplunder

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2017 starts on a positive note, S&P500 closing up 0.85% on the stock trading day. I hope this bodes well for the rest of the year.

As before, this thread is about "investment" performance, as opposed to total asset return, e.g..

This is all about sharing what investment is working YTD, not about anything else. How to calculate the return were discussed in depth in previous YTD threads. See the links below.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/2016-ytd-investment-performance-thread-80216.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/2015-ytd-investment-performance-thread-75654.html

Good luck to us all!

66.73% YTD. Yes, I know all about "annualized" I like this number better.

Got 0.66% for the first trading day of the year.

If I were to "annualize" this number, should I project it over the remaining calendar days of 2017, or do I need to restrict myself to just the number of trading days? :angel:

Got 0.66% for the first trading day of the year.

If I were to "annualize" this number, should I project it over the remaining calendar days of 2017, or do I need to restrict myself to just the number of trading days? :angel:

Because biotech and energy were up today?

OK I'll bite on this on, YTD, today up .54% roughly 60/40. Heavy on the two Wells....but VHCOX was up a nice 0.82% which is my current allocation target to get into Admiral on all the accounts.

Last edited:
I am up .43 on total portfolio but that includes a negative figure for the first month's withdrawal (I auto transfer withdrawals to checking on the first day of the month). I don't try to calculate a figure for investment performance separate from total portfolio.

Total World up .82%, Wellington Admiral up .59%, lots of cash made it .44%.

1.07% taxable 98/2 equities/cash (35% international) my play account 5% of my total invested

ROTH .86% VFINX 2% of investable

TSP .9% C,F funds 72% of investable

401K -1.7% 21% of investable (15% international-took a good hit)

1.2% already.

VHT turned around a bit, surprisingly VDE energy is up for me, and it appears both my Large and Small Cap ETFs are doing well...VUG, VOOG, VB and SCHA. I hope the bull keeps rearing!

Yeah, I don't think I'll report until the end of the month. LOL!

Man, I sure remember how things melted down last Jan and Feb. We actually got a thorough correction out of it. Unfortunately, it didn't do much to improve market valuation - just a very short interval.

With CAPE10 almost 28, and rising interest rates, I am so nervous.

OK - darn it - I just noticed my YTD is up 0.94% for 2017 in just two trading days. That's unbelievable!!!

And I thought I wouldn't be looking!!

(It's because I'm still rebalancing, so I have to run my spreadsheets for the first few days of the year to make sure everything is squared away)

Yeah the lyrics go "What goes up must c...." It's a matter of time now... I was a little nervous, but I already requested this years distribution from my 401K today, so I won't have to seriously worry about it until next January.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I think if the CAPE10 actually meant anything the market would have noticed by now.

Up 0.71% today, despite having 35% AA in cash.

Stocks that comprise 50% of portfolio are up 1.2%. MFs that are 13% of portfolio are up 0.64%. When diluted by the inert cash, the net is the 0.71% above.

Can it last? Who knows? The leaders today are again biotechs, pharmas, and industrial metals.

Last edited:
I think if the CAPE10 actually meant anything the market would have noticed by now.

Market ignores it for long periods. Doesn't mean it doesn't matter. We've been though this game before - 1999, 2007

Up 1.34%.

82/18% mixed stocks and bonds. Little over 5% in individual dividend stocks.

For contrast, my CDs are up a whopping .22%.

Equity side has drifted up a bit. Will wait for March 2017 to rebalance, if necessary.
This year I'll report the weighted performance of all investments, including cash. YTD performance value is pulled from google finance, and spreadsheet assigns weighted performance to each fund/stock.

YTD Wghtd for Equity/Fixed/Cash (55/40/5)
1.199%

As of a few minutes ago, roughly:

• Index -1%
  • Individual -1%
  • Added emerging market tracker: +5%

Excluding dividends. Individual was up for a little while, but then Mattel announced their full year earnings :LOL:

I don't worry about weighing holdings and calculating specific returns. I just compare my EOY holdings to current date holdings (so spending over the course of the year increases the negative). I am currently at 1.49% for the year. Pretty heavy in equities since I haven't re-balanced recently.

Back
Top Bottom