Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by SVHoper View Post
I agree with almost all of Cobra9777's view. The only thing I would say is that I personally let the non-income producing assets (home) influence my desired real estate % of my asset allocation. For example, if I didn't have $ sunk in home, I would increase my desired asset allocation percentage for real estate... but then I am tilted more heavily to real estate than most.
SVHoper, I can agree with that. I like real estate as an alternative to stocks and bonds over the next few years. Stocks are at a post-meltdown high with a recession looming, and bonds are poised to drop when interests rates normalize. Real estate is still very affordable by historic standards and starting to rise.

We own a large house that drives a lot of expenses (property tax, utilities, and maintenance). We are considering downsizing at some point in the future, which would reduce expenses and also free up about $200-250K cash to be added to the investment portfolio.

Were it not for the large house, I might be a little heavier weighted in real estate in the current asset allocation. I'm holding it at 20% since there is a reasonably high probability that part of my FUTURE investment portfolio is already exposed to that market. If I considered the captive $200-250K as part of my CURRENT investment portfolio (which I generally do not), my real estate allocation would be over 30%, which is at the high end of my comfort zone.

So, yes, it's a bit subtle, but depending on the personal circumstances and one's appetite for real estate, I can see how personal-use real estate might influence asset allocation. In most cases though, I think it's best to ignore these assets until they are actually converted to cash, especially if the probability of selling is low.

Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

real estate