Almost 62, do not plan to receive SS until 70, do I need to do anything now?

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just to make sure I do not miss anything that I may need to do. I am still w*rking, and do not plan to receive SS until 70. In few weeks, I will turn 62.

Once I am 62, do I need to do anything, say, get online to SS website, to issue 'delay till 70', or anything like that? Thanks

While it is good to have online access to SS website so you can verify your numbers, see potential SS payments, etc. there is no requirement to do anything until you are ready to claim your SS - whether at 62, 66, 70 or anytime in between.

Also since you are asking this, you might not be aware, but at age 65 you will need to sign up for medicare if you are not working or there is a penalty (forever).

If you are working at 65, the rules are different, but you will need to check.

I just tried setting up an acct., got a msg. saying "We cannot create an account with that Social Security number". Is this a common bug ...?
Yes, I think it is. Wife & I both had that happen. We went to SS office in person & set ours up. Relatively quick & painless.

Merry Christmas,!

Don’t forget to sign up eventually though. Don’t assume they will automatically start depositing money to your bank account one day. My aunt lost out on several years of SS that way, I recently found out.

Also, when you finally reach 69 and 9 months (in time to sign up for age 70) be aware they may try to talk you into taking a one-time lump sum of money which effectively means you will have begun receiving benefits before age 70. From then on your benefit will be as if you retired at 69 1/2 (or whatever they take you back to). No problem doing this as long as you understand it. They did not explain it to me until I forced them to. It was sort of a "You'll want to do this." I said "Why would I want to do that?" So just be advised.

Don't forget to smell the roses between now and 70!! YMMV

Just to make sure I do not miss anything that I may need to do. I am still w*rking, and do not plan to receive SS until 70. In few weeks, I will turn 62.

Once I am 62, do I need to do anything, say, get online to SS website, to issue 'delay till 70', or anything like that? Thanks

You don't need to do anything at 62.
And you don't need to ever announce your intentions to delay to any age.

You should go in and set up your online SS account now though. Then you can see the estimates of your benefits at 62, FRA, and 70. And you can look at all your past reported earnings, to make sure they are all there and are all correct. If you are married, your spouse should do the same.

But as someone said, you have to set up Medicare at age 64.5 or so. If you don't as I understand it, there is a penalty. Not sure if you can do it online, or have to go into the SS office. Anyone know?

But as someone said, you have to set up Medicare at age 64.5 or so. If you don't as I understand it, there is a penalty. Not sure if you can do it online, or have to go into the SS office. Anyone know?

You can do all the Medicare stuff online. You'll start getting all sorts of mailings from various insurance companies (for Advantage, and Supplemental Plans and Part D) for the 3 months or so before you turn 65, so there will be plenty of reminders. LOL

omni

Can you call them and set up an account over the phone?

Also if you take SS before 65 do you need to sign up for Medicare or is done once you sign up and take SS before age 65?

Back
Top Bottom