Amazon Prime Day

Been wanting a Kindle fire to replace my Nexus 7 (that was ruined by the latest upgrade). Got it for $79 but shipping is the middle of Sept? Oh well I'll watch the prices and may just cancel it.

Yeah, I put one in my cart but then saw the ship date. Thanks but no thanks.

I also agree that it's a ploy to gain new Prime members as well as clean shelves for the ACTUAL items that they will want to sell in a few short months when Christmas 'deals' start in earnest. I was able to pick up a Fire stick on sale...not a great deal, but cheaper than they normally sell and I did need one.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

I logged on to amazon, saw it was all hype and garbage, then logged on to my trading account and bought 10 puts on the stock.

I will probably spend my profits on amazon though. :dance:

I might spring for a multi-pack gift card and get $10 credit on a future purchase.

Realize that the $10 credit must be used by the end of August 2015 I believe or else it will turn into a pumpkin. I am not a fan of expiring deals like this.

Also, the specific 3-pack of cards for $45 that I ordered had all sorts of negative reviews related to fraud -- ie they tried to use the cards and were told that they had already been redeemed.

Given these two items, I went ahead and cancelled the order before it shipped.

-gauss

Looking at the Echo, which a friend got for $99, the price is $129 during this sale, but Amazon is not taking any more people on the wait list (and I'm a Prime Member?).

What a waste of time this has been.

Calling BS
Crucial SSD on sale was old model, new model was available at a cheaper price.

Really?

Man I'm a little annoyed. The hype around Prime day got me curious.

I go on the site and see some Bose headphones, definitely not something I need or will probably use a lot but nice to have and 40% off a good deal. Put it in my cart.

Spend another 20 minutes browsing didn't find anything else I really want and go to buy the headphones and the sale had ended and they are back to full price..

Much ado about nothing. I had expected to find items I had searched for, or put on my wish list, or related to previous purchases, on sale. Instead there was nothing at all of interest to me.

Walmart is supposed to offer competing deals today as well, but a quick check on their web site revealed the usual flea market crap they normally sell there. Nothing special.

I'm not a Prime member, so I checked the WalMart site, as they were supposedly competing. I even did a little research ahead of time on a product, so I could pull the trigger if tempted.

I didn't spend much time there, but I'll guess they got the message that they didn't really have to do much to compete with Amazon. Not tempted on anything.

Amazon seems to be getting pretty soundly trashed that this did not live up to expectations. That's a little surprising for Amazon. Just a swing and a miss, or does it indicate they are off their game?

-ERD50

I didn't get anything. For one, I don't like being rushed to buy with a countdown clock ticking. Two, the closest thing I want is a tablet, but there were too many choices (pros/cons) that I decided to choose paralysis by analysis :LOL:.

I've made 3 Amazon.com purchases this week, none of them today "Prime Day". I just buy what I need/want whenever I need/want it. All were smaller, inexpensive items. Replacement shaver blades, spray lube/cleaner for my Remington shaver, and a replacement ballast for the kitchen flourescent light. We are Prime members, and take advantage of the free shipping when we can. Also, we get the free video streaming, and my wife's downloads of free & greatly reduced books to her Kindle more than pay for the Prime membership.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Not much there but I did pick up an electric pressure washer.

Sun Joe SPX3000 2030 PSI 1.76 GPM Electric Pressure Washer, 14.5-Amp

$159 vs. $200 regular price.

I've got to clean the house (not too bad) and then paint the siding etc. (no fun at all). Part of the "spruce the house up for sale" pre-retirement activities. Getting a new roof next week...

I took another look at the deals. Just looks like a big garage sale to me. I don't see anything special. They make claims of 90% off, but when you look a bit closer, the normal price was 87% off, so it's really only a 3% discount. And it's just a hodge podge of junk. I'm really surprised that Amazon couldn't come up with something a bit more exciting after all the advertising they did for this event.

I actually did buy something early this morning before I left for my water aerobics class. It is a Fire HD 7 and is scheduled for July 28th delivery so much for Prime 2 day. The price seems decent and camel shows it was offered at the same price back in April. Clearly an impulse purchase though.

The one item we wanted went to waitlist before we could get it into our cart.

I feel used.

I thought it was great! i bought some nice new ski poles for $20 last night, so I'm happy.

Somehow, I missed all the hype preceding the sale because it was a bit of a surprise. But then I remembered when I saw that S&H was waived. It sounds like Amazon upset a lot of their customers. Too bad.

Well we bought nothing but we didn't waste time looking too hard either. I am already getting email ads for items related to the few things I looked at but didn't buy and the few things I searched to see if there was a PD bargain - none!

I was looking to see what the reaction was elsewhere. I found a page, "The Sh!ttiest Deals of Amazon Day". Browsed through it and saw something I wanted, just a cheap thing. It's actually the same price today so I guess it wasn't a good deal but the price was fine with me. Just thought it was funniest that it made the page of worst deals, yet I wanted it.

Despite the negative reaction, looks like Amazon did do some selling on their "Prime Day"

Amazon sold more units on Prime Day than Black Friday 2014, the biggest Black Friday everWorldwide order growth increased 266% over the same day last year and 18% more than Black Friday 2014More new members tried Prime worldwide than any single day in Amazon historySellers on Amazon that use the Fulfillment by Amazon service enjoyed record-breaking unit sales – growing nearly 300%Customers ordered hundreds of thousands of Amazon devices – making it the largest device sales day ever worldwide.

The breakdown is interesting:

Prime Day highlights from the US:

Members ordered tens of thousands of Fire TV Sticks in one hour, making it the fastest-selling deal on an Amazon device ever
Fire tablet sales on Amazon exceeded sales on Black Friday last year
Members ordered thousands of e-readers and thousands of Echos in just 15 minutes
56,000 Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy sets
47,000 Televisions sold, which was 1300% year-over-year growth
51,000 Bose Headphones, compared to 8 the previous Wednesday
28,000 Rubbermaid 42-Piece Easy Find Lid Food Storage Sets, compared to 428 the previous Wednesday
24,000 Instant Pot 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cookers, compared to 182 the previous Wednesday
14,000 iRobot Roomba 595 Pet Vacuum Cleaning Robots, compared to 1 the previous Wednesday
12,000 Fifty Shades of Grey Unrated Edition on Blu-ray, compared to 121 the previous Wednesday
10,000 Meguiar's X2020 Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels, compared to 244 the previous Wednesday

Well at least they sold a lot of "50 Shades of Grey" on Blu Ray :LOL:

Amazon’s First Ever Prime Day Breaks Global Records, Sales Exceed Black Friday - MarketWatch

Despite the negative reaction, looks like Amazon did do some selling on their "Prime Day"

The breakdown is interesting:

Well at least they sold a lot of "50 Shades of Grey" on Blu Ray :LOL:

Amazon’s First Ever Prime Day Breaks Global Records, Sales Exceed Black Friday - MarketWatch

56,000 Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy sets

I'll let DH know he was one of 56,000! Assuming that's the Blu-ray edition - it probably wasn't. That many people have Blu-ray players? We hardly ever use it though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom