Prime Day disappointment

Just bought a SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab A8 10.5” 128GB Android Tablet for $179.00 through Amazon Prime offer. It has been $279.00 on Amazon and BestBuy.

Was this a targeted offer?

It does not appear to be a targeted offer. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Long...8gb+android+tablet,prime-day,3150&sr=1-1&th=1
On my screen it shows as an 'Amazon's Choice' and 'Prime Day Deal' at $179.99.

----

I also see that Amazon is offering $200 Amazon gift card for opening an Amazon Prime Visa credit card. (I'd post a link, but I just applied for, and was approved for the card, so the offer no longer shows on my computer.)

I MAY just order that Samsung Galaxy Tablet, along with a protective cover, for myself. :D

omni

We found a number of items on our wish list that were discounted a fair amount for Prime Day, as opposed to the nearly daily price changes.

We grabbed them (for free) using our Amazon Store card bonus sign-up offer ($100).

Yes "Prime Day" has lost it's novelty, but for us Prime itself usually leads to substantial savings over local sources, and we don't have to risk our lives running around from store to store.

_B

And, as if by magic, an Amazon Prime ad just showed up in my e-mail. Who would have thought it?

I received an email from Amazon telling me the batteries in my Firestick remote control needed to be changed. I ignored it and a within a week, the remote didn't work. I changed the batteries. :LOL:
No, I'm not starting a conspiracy theory!

I have myQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Wireless control for my garage doors. It took me 2 years to work on my son that I should get him one and finally he agreed that I will help him install when I visit him again. It is on Prime Day offer today and I just bought it and saved me about $10 from when I had placed in my cart 3 months ago.

Last edited:
I didn't really see anything I needed, but later I went on looking for a specific size and type of SD card. Turns out they had the one I need as a prime day deal. So, I guess I'm officially a prime day shopper now.

Found a good deal on Reidel Drink Specific Neat Glasses at 39% off. I have two and use them for Sazerac cocktails and sometimes sipping whiskey. Ordered 2 more at this price. Riedel glasses are great, but at $15-$20 per glass are definitely BTD territory. Especially because between wine glasses that we've had for years and my more recent cocktail glass purchases we have about 30!

https://www.amazon.com/Drink-Specif...s=riedel+drink+specific+glassware&sr=8-3&th=1

Last edited:
Inspired by this thread, I just went to Amazon and started scrolling through the Prime Day deals.

It all looks like future landfill to me. Maybe that's a sign that yes, I really AM growing older. Anyway, I didn't want anything when I went there, and still didn't want anything after spending a while looking at deals offered.

On the bright side, it's nice to know that I already have everything I want. :D

OK, I was wrong! I changed my mind and actually DID buy a few things today on Prime Day. These were snack foods that I planned to buy anyway and already had on my list.

Ritz crackers
Clif bars
Quest protein bars

I saved about $20, give or take a few bucks.

OK, I was wrong! I changed my mind and actually DID buy a few things today on Prime Day. These were snack foods that I planned to buy anyway and already had on my list.

Ritz crackers
Clif bars
Quest protein bars

I saved about $20, give or take a few bucks.

Difficult to not give into temptation.

I almost bought an AeroGarden indoor garden. Something I was not looking into at all. Until I looked on youtube and that still looks like a lot of work to tend. I did not buy.

But the Prime deal was about 70% off :LOL:.

I have seen a few comments on other sites from heavy Amazon users that many things they see on the Prime Day page they have bought in the past at the same price, except Amazon raised the price before Prime Day so they could say it was lowered.

So they bought a $70 item 4 months ago, Prime Day has it for $72, discounted 35% from $110.

I almost bought an AeroGarden indoor garden. Something I was not looking into at all. Until I looked on youtube and that still looks like a lot of work to tend. I did not buy.

Wow, that's quite a discount! :) I probably would have preferred to pass it up like you did, though, for the same reason.

They wanted to bundle 4 items for shipment on a particular day. No thanks, we'll spread the joy over 3 days. And everything goes in a box to protect the contents.

I recently discovered that Amazon has some nice casual clothing under the Amazon brand. I bought a really nice Amazon men’s golf polo shirt for $19 a few months back. Today they were selling for $13 so I bought 4. Also got some cargo shorts for $12.

I have seen a few comments on other sites from heavy Amazon users that many things they see on the Prime Day page they have bought in the past at the same price, except Amazon raised the price before Prime Day so they could say it was lowered.

So they bought a $70 item 4 months ago, Prime Day has it for $72, discounted 35% from $110.
Yes, you really have to be on your toes to shop at Amazon, especially on Prime Day. :) It helps that I record the exact price to the penny of everything that I buy, in my spreadsheet, so I can just look back and see what I paid for it previously. I also shop around a bit at other stores or websites first as well, in case they have lowered their prices.

They sent me a $10 coupon code, but there is nothing that grabs me in the offers. Lame.

When did you get your $10 coupon? I've received them in the past, but not this year. I wonder why.

I may take advantage of the Audible 3 months free offer. I don’t know if it’s a targeted offer. I don’t listen to audiobooks except on very long road trips. It’s been a couple years now and I have a long road trip coming up. I find choosing the books challenging.

I find it difficult to choose the audiobooks as well. I've realized that I prefer non-fiction books on Audible. Also, some of the free with Audible content is pretty good. I am planning on canceling my subscription soon because I have more books than I know what to do with, but I'm listening to free content right now while I have it. Also, I like listening to books and podcasts on Audible at night because you can set a timer so the book or podcast doesn't go to the end while you are asleep.

I was given an IDOO hydroponic garden for Christmas a couple of years ago. Similar cheap Aerogarden knockoff. Basil grows ridiculously well this way. I started my broccoli indoors hydroponically. Other plants as well.

Much work? Hardly. I add water as needed and change the water every 2-3 weeks. I buy Aerogarden liquid nutrients and add when I change the water.

It resides under a corner counter. Having fresh herbs right in my kitchen is a blessing.

Prime day is an Amazon marketing scheme to get people to spend money they don't have for stuff they don't need. Just my two cents.

Exactly. If something is 30% off. You didn't save 30%, you lost 70%. That is unless you were going to buy it anyway and it's something you actually need.

I did buy a new Kindle reader today. Mine was 6 years old and in fine shape, but the current model has a bigger screen and other worthwhile upgrades. Got the Prime Day sale price plus 20% off for trading my old one in ($28.00), plus $30.00 for my trade in. Of course free shipping. With sales tax added on It is costing me $36.00 and change for the new Kindle. I feel like It was a good deal. Did not see anything else of interest today.

I was given an IDOO hydroponic garden for Christmas a couple of years ago. Similar cheap Aerogarden knockoff. Basil grows ridiculously well this way. I started my broccoli indoors hydroponically. Other plants as well.

Much work? Hardly. I add water as needed and change the water every 2-3 weeks. I buy Aerogarden liquid nutrients and add when I change the water.

It resides under a corner counter. Having fresh herbs right in my kitchen is a blessing.

The water doesn't get all yucky with all the roots?

Was tempting but I don't have a spare room to leave the light on all the time. Though the thought fresh herbs is tempting. Especially at 70% off.

The water doesn't get all yucky with all the roots?

Was tempting but I don't have a spare room to leave the light on all the time. Though the thought fresh herbs is tempting. Especially at 70% off.

It only gets yucky when it gets root rot. They don't get yucky because Aerogarden has a pump which circulates the water. Also, never fill above the fill line as the top of the roots need air to breathe. If you top off above the fill line, it will also increase the likelihood of root rot.

I have 16 Aerogardens, include the the Farm XL (biggest Aerogarden). It was a COVID hobby. I gave 4 away, 2 Bounty Elites and 2 Harvest Elites, together with several Aerovoirs. I still have the rest of the Aerogardens and another 12 Aerovoirs or so. I store them in the casita guest room because I got bored with it. But I grew tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplants, herbs, lots of lettuces, bak choy, lots of flowers. I think I have grown all seeds that are packaged by Aerogarden and I also bought seeds from other suppliers.

Hinterlands or not - Amazon makes sense, at least for me and my family.

Personally, Amazon/Prime gives me the ability to do things I would never do and save thousands of dollars a year. I've learned how to repair my car and small appliances, in addition to being able to purchase things at significant discount over local stores that we would purchase anyhow. I have access to variety and selection of makes/models/brands of most everything that is simply impossible to have by getting in the car and going around to stores locally. And they deliver it to me usually in 24 to 48 hours.

If I'm not buying from Amazon, then it's Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, or any other local brick and mortar retailer that has real time access to their inventory and ability to purchase online and pick up at the store. There is no need to waste my time walking up and down aisles browsing - that is what creates the impulse purchase. That is why I hate going in to the Harbor Freight location that opened in my neighborhood shopping plaza. I could always find some tools or other things I'd like to have because I could have a need in the future. I go online to purchase what I need when I need it. If I'm not physically in the store, I have no other reason to buy.

I have to agree that being able to easily purchase the right part to fix things has saved me a lot of money.

I wanted additional Ring cameras to use during trips and the ones I wanted were 50% off. That worked for me!

Despite my general lack of interesr in Prime Day, I did get something good out of it. I ordered about $6k worth of equipment for a customer today, and found out when I placed the order that I was getting 6% cash back, instead of the usual 5%. So an extra $60. Not bad.

Also, following Fermion's suggestion I picked up the 2 months of Starz (for Outlander) for $.99.

Back
Top Bottom