Join Early Retirement Today

Any deals on Quicken and Turbotax ?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any deals on Quicken and Turbotax ?

Every year I dread trying to re-understand which Turbotax 2009 I need (Basic, Deluxe, Premiere, etc) and also which Quicken 2010.

Then comes the challenge of feeling comfortable I got a good deal at the right time... and understand rebates....

Think I bought the two combined at Costco last year.

Anybody find any deals / have strategies ?

Thanks !

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Looks like you missed this thread: Tax Cut SW for 2009

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looks like you missed this thread: Tax Cut SW for 2009
I searched first and did see/read that thread - it is primarily TaxCut - I'm interested in Turbotax / Quicken
Old 01-31-2010, 08:22 AM   #4

troweprice.com offers a 25% discount on Turbotax. Not sure if you need to be a customer to get that.

I bought 2010 Quicken from Amamzon.com in Dec and found the best price there.- about $15 cheaper than elsewhere at the time,
Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Everybody sells for about the same price. I also downloaded from Amazon in December. It was the same discounted price as that found at Vanguard, TRowePrice, and other brokers. Check your own broker's web site.

As for which version, I buy the minimum that gives me a state tax return. I usually do not e-file, but they bundle e-file since last year to make more money. I cannot imagine needing Premiere and Basic has everything. I think Deluxe comes with a state return. You can always buy Basic and upgrade online if you think you need it.

What is even more clever for Intuit is that the stores around here (a no-income-tax state) are filled with Deluxe which comes with a state return. I bet that at least 80% of folks buy that and never use the state return.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I've seen the ads for free turbotax for basic fed. returns. Is the basic not adequate? I understand there is a cost for the state return.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
I've seen the ads for free turbotax for basic fed. returns. Is the basic not adequate? I understand there is a cost for the state return.
The only free TT Basic that I've seen, is for the 'online' version only.....a.k.a. not installable software version.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #8

I downloaded both from Amazon at prices less than I paid for physical versions at Costco last year.

You could buy the cheapest version and upgrade later if you need to. It's easy enough through the help menu, but you're paying full price for the difference. TurboTax® Tax Preparation Software, FREE Tax Filing, Efile Taxes, Income Tax Returns has TT comparisons, Compare Quicken® 2010 Personal Finance Software Products has the Quicken comparisons.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've been on the autorenewal program for TurboTax Premier since 2003, when I was the sole proprietor of a home based small business. The business was closed out as of 2006.

I did not know that VG had a discount program available. Thanks to you folks, I do now.

I will remove myself from the direct renewal program with Intuit and access the downloadable TurboTax through VG for 2010.

FYI: Price paid for installable (not online) software, NY state return included, TurboTax Premier in Intuit's direct renewal program, was $89.95 plus sales tax of $7.87 for a total of $97.82, per my receipt dated 11/07/09. Shipping of installation CD was included in $89.95 price.

VG's price for exact same product is $67.46 per VG's site, as of today. I am assuming this is downloadable, i.e. no CD media will be shipped. Sales tax status unknown.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
The only free TT Basic that I've seen, is for the 'online' version only.....a.k.a. not installable software version.
Is it necessary to have the installable software version? What is wrong with using the online version?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

The online versions are available for about half the download price. So unless you're doing more than one return you could save some by using the online premier TT for $32.45 or even deluxe for $19.45. BofA is giving the 35% discount too <see their homepage might even be able to link if you don't have account>. Some financial institutions have 25% and a few have the 35% discounts. Sooo, pays to check until you find one.
There are a number of free services out there and you can always double check them with TT or TC, if you start TT/TC for free as they suggest and then just don't finish filing with them. Our state has a free filing for their income tax I've used for several years. They are fairly quick and easy. But, I make sure their numbers match the unfiled numbers I get from TT/TC.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is it necessary to have the installable software version? What is wrong with using the online version?
Good question. Here's some more for any existing online users...

Where is your data stored for the online tax prep program sites?

How many times can a person return online to do the taxes in successive sessions as tax documents arrive by snail mail? Or is it necessary to do the entire return in a single online session?

Any responses are greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

You don't have to do it in one session. You set up user name and password - start - stop - finish when you wish, if you get a new tax doc just go back in and add it. NO limit I'm aware of. E-file when you're done - download copies (pdf) to store/back-up and print hard copies as desired. If you owe even wait to file, until last minute if you want.

Been doing it for myself and two of my kids for years. Haven't paid a nickle for tax prep or SW for several years now. ymmv
Old 01-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I need to use TurboTax to do a bunch of "What if?" scenarios throughout the year, so I want it on my computer instead of only online.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I did my taxes today online using Tax Act . It went pretty quickly but I am finding out that each year in retirement my taxes have been different . I'm sure this has to do with selling stock so I have to figure out how to level it . Should I also take my dividends from my IRA instead of having them be reinvested so I can avoid selling stock ? Currently I am only taking the dividends from my taxable account .
Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Should I also take my dividends from my IRA instead of having them be reinvested so I can avoid selling stock ? Currently I am only taking the dividends from my taxable account .
Do you mean selling stocks from taxable versus withdrawing money from IRA?

I would investigate this more closely with the calculator at Optimal Retirement Calculator and Retirement Decision Support System
Old 01-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #17

Quote:
I've used both the installed software versions as well as the 'online' versions in the past. I didn't notice much, if any, difference between them. (TT as well as others also)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I need to use TurboTax to do a bunch of "What if?" scenarios throughout the year, so I want it on my computer instead of only online.
Like LOL!, that's one reason I preferred the 'installed' version, over the 'online' version. Plus, I have a 'trust' issue with online stuff....as in....I have a hard time trusting online stuff for security reasons. It may all be in my head, a figment of my imagination, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in online security. There have been too many "Oops! Your identity/privacy/etc. has been breached!" cases over the years for my peace of mind. But that's just me, and YMMV.
-----------------------------------
Anymore, my taxes are fairly simple, so the last couple of years I just downloaded the PDF files of the 1040 or 1040A forms and the instruction book from the IRS website, and the appropriate forms from the IL Dept. of Revenue and skip the tax-prep software all together.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Do you mean selling stocks from taxable versus withdrawing money from IRA?

I would investigate this more closely with the calculator at Optimal Retirement Calculator and Retirement Decision Support System

Thanks ,that is exactly what I needed !
Old 01-31-2010, 07:09 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If you're with Vanguard, you might qualify for the desktop version of TurboTax Basic or Deluxe for FREE and more advanced versions for a substantial discount. I got TT Deluxe 2009 for free, free is good.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If you're with Vanguard, you might qualify for the desktop version of TurboTax Basic or Deluxe for FREE and more advanced versions for a substantial discount. I got TT Deluxe 2009 for free, free is good.
I just finished working on our taxes through Vanguard's site with TT Deluxe (yes, free is very good ), all done online through the TT site. I'm choosing not to worry about security issues--focusing instead on why I had a bit too much withheld last year ($9,000 refund--oops).