Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So if I just take 4% and adjust it up or down according to the year I'll be fine .Right ?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
So if I just take 4% and adjust it up or down according to the year I'll be fine .Right ?
Probably, but just remember, according to Firecalc, a 4% WR for a 30-year retirement path failed approximately 5% of the time. The example I gave in an earlier post on this thread was for the case where one was continuously resetting for an additional 30 years. Some have argued that when you reset, it is no different from a person just retiring in that year, and I agree. However, that person still has a 5% chance of failure (as do you if you reset). If you don't reset and your portfolio has grown, your withdrawal rate will be less than 4%, so your Firecalc success rate will have increased, perhaps even to 100%.

Saying it another way - imagine 20 people, one of whom will retire each year for the next 20 years using a 4% WR. According to Firecalc (and assuming the future will be no worse than the past), one of those 20 would be expected to fail. The math I used above would apply to this situation. When you reset, you are essentially starting your retirement over (assuming you still keep the 30-year horizon). It's like having an urn with 19 red balls and 1 white ball. The red balls are successes, and the white ball is failure. Each drawing from the urn (with replacement) represents a 30-year retirement path. Although on each drawing, the probability of drawing a white ball is only 5%, if at the outset you plan to make 13 drawings, there will be nearly a 50% chance of drawing a white ball (a failed retirement path).

Granted, as you age, your retirement path will shorten. An 80 year-old may choose to run Firecalc with a 15-year horizon. In this case, Firecalc gives a 100% success ratio with a 5.3% WR.

IMO, a safer plan would be: after a significant portfolio increase, reset to a WR which Firecalc says is 100% safe using the then (possibly shorter) retirement horizon.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you only take 4% out of your portfolio every year (up and down), you will never run out of money, therefore, by definition you will have 100% success.

Your portfolio may shrink considerably, but it can never go to 0.

Audrey
Old 08-03-2007, 07:50 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post

IMO, a safer plan would be: after a significant portfolio increase, reset to a WR which Firecalc says is 100% safe using the then (possibly shorter) retirement horizon.
That's a three-dinger!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

This sounds like some might benefit by reviewing statistics and the idea of independent events. Fired@51's red ball analogy is spot on. The old saw about past results are not predictors of future returns cuts both ways, in this case, it's good news for y'all retirees.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

The results of successive trials of flipping a coin, choosing from a mix of red and white balls, and playing Russian roulette are presumably independent.

I don't know that anybody has yet shown (somebody may have, but I don't know about it) that market results are independent from year to year.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
The results of successive trials of flipping a coin, choosing from a mix of red and white balls, and playing Russian roulette are presumably independent.

I don't know that anybody has yet shown (somebody may have, but I don't know about it) that market results are independent from year to year.
But the economy is not a random sequence of events, sure occasionally an
terrorist attack, oil crisis, etc affect it, but overall it ebbs and flows like the
tide. Not up one year, down the next as you would expect with random
results. 95-99 were up, 00-02 were down, 03-06 were up, 07?
TJ