Apple Card

CNBC published this article describing the Apple Card at a high level, a view from 30K feet. It doesn’t mention things important to some people like transaction downloads but good with the basics.

As someone currently unable to use Apple Pay I’d get only a 1% cashback on purchases with the physical card so it’s not compelling for that reason but I still may apply, anticipating a hardware purchase from Apple later this year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/05/everything-to-know-about-the-new-apple-credit-card.html

I got mine today. I’ll keep using my Costco visa for many things, but 2% for all Apple Pay transactions is nice and especially 3% for my next iPhone is very nice.

Got a substantial credit limit so I can buy that pricey new Mac Pro ... or maybe I won’t.

The lack of mint.com integration is disappointing. Hopefully that will come along soon.

Just checked my Apple Wallet again today; hit the + sign, and today Apple Card was there (wasn't there yesterday). Applied and was accepted; Got it in my Apple Wallet now. We'll see how I like it as a card to use!

My iPhone 5S is incompatible, but I'm the one that got the invitation.

***eyes wife's iPhone SE***

Hey honey....

So yeah, all swapped out, applied, approved, set up. We have 2-3 major Apple purchases planned in the next few months - might as well get some extra cash back on that, right? :/

One other comment.

We have all our credit reports frozen. So of course when I applied for the Apple Card it didn't work.

But Apple handled it very well. They simply told me my credit was frozen and that I need to unfreeze it on TransUnion (often it's hard to tell which credit agency you have to unfreeze).

I went to the TransUnion website, logged in and temporarily unfroze it.

Back to Apple Wallet to reapply. Apple remember all the details I had already entered. They checked it and quickly approved the new card. I could use it immediately (using Apple Pay).

So far, they seem to have sweated the details. Well done.

My iPhone 5S is incompatible, but I'm the one that got the invitation.

***eyes wife's iPhone SE***

Hey honey....

So yeah, all swapped out, applied, approved, set up. We have 2-3 major Apple purchases planned in the next few months - might as well get some extra cash back on that, right? :/

I’m in the same boat with a 5S. BUT: my AmEx Blue Cash card (no annual fee) gives 3% cash back on supermarkets/groceries, 2% cash back on gas. DiscoverIt’s (no annual fee) current quarterly program gives 5% cash back on restaurants, cafes, fast food, etc. They both give 1% cash back on everything else.

Those will do for now and cover a lot of my expenses. But I’ll apply for an Apple Card whenever they invite.

[ADDED] What I haven’t figured out is if these cash backs are cumulative, that is do you earn both Apple and card-specific cash back rewads if the non-Apple card is linked. Just a rookie. My guess is not and, if so, the Apple Card resembles (but improves) a store loyalty card combined with a credit card.

Last edited:
We got a little flyer at our Costco visit last week about downloading its app so you can just use your phone, no membership ID card needed at checkout--I guess a new feature. The reviews at the app store are terrible and it doesn't sound like the app has a payment feature within it anyway. Too bad, I was intrigued.

Do you still need your Costco card to get in the store?

[ADDED] What I haven’t figured out is if these cash backs are cumulative, that is do you earn both Apple and card-specific cash back rewads if the non-Apple card is linked. Just a rookie. My guess is not and, if so, the Apple Card resembles (but improves) a store loyalty card combined with a credit card.

Cumulative?

Not sure what you mean. The Apple Card is a MasterCard issued by Goldman Sacs. It has some interesting features, but deep down it's just a credit card.

As far as cash back, it's not unlike other credit cards. Its rule is 3% back on Apple purchases; 2% when you buy anything else using Apple Pay; 1% when you use the physical card. Also, the cash comes back at the end of each day - into your Apple Cash card which can be used to purchase other stuff or to pay off you Apple Card. No points and no delays.

Do you still need your Costco card to get in the store?
No - I used my app today!

I showed my ID on the app at the door. They scanned my Costco ID on the phone at the register. And I never had to take out any credit card!

I'm using a Costco cash card at the moment, but when I use that up I'll start using Apple Pay on my watch.

We got a little flyer at our Costco visit last week about downloading its app so you can just use your phone, no membership ID card needed at checkout--I guess a new feature. The reviews at the app store are terrible and it doesn't sound like the app has a payment feature within it anyway. Too bad, I was intrigued.
YES!!!

I did this today. Downloaded the Costco app and logged in. It now shows my Costco Photo ID with QCode in the app on my iPhone. Showed it at the door to get in. They scanned it on my iPhone at the register. Nice!

Thanks very much for reducing my hassle!

I noticed a big sign about this right as we walked in the door, LOL! I probably would have figured it out then.

Cumulative?

Not sure what you mean. The Apple Card is a MasterCard issued by Goldman Sacs. It has some interesting features, but deep down it's just a credit card.

As far as cash back, it's not unlike other credit cards. Its rule is 3% back on Apple purchases; 2% when you buy anything else using Apple Pay; 1% when you use the physical card. Also, the cash comes back at the end of each day - into your Apple Cash card which can be used to purchase other stuff or to pay off you Apple Card. No points and no delays.

So it is Goldman Sachs who is not providing downloadable transaction data? Usually the issuer supplies that stuff.

So it is Goldman Sachs who is not providing downloadable transaction data? Usually the issuer supplies that stuff.

I suspect that's the case. From what I read, this is Goldman Sachs first credit card offering. Apple approached other financial institutions who already provide credit cards and they weren't interested. Goldman Sachs took them up on the offer since it opens up a new market for them. But the downside is that there are probably a lot of features that they don't (can't) support because they don't have the infrastructure.

I'm guessing we'll only get downloadable transactions if Apple decides that it's something they want to support.

Last edited:
No downloadable transactions makes my life harder, not easier.

With the Fidelity card, I get 2% back that is automatically deposited to my brokerage account, which yields ~2%.

With the Apple Card, I’d have to move money around. The only benefit is 3% at the Apple store and 2% cash back for international purchases, and neither are that exceptional (you can do better elsewhere).

I decided to take a pass for now. But hopefully if someone on the forum gets the card, they’ll give us a review.

Well, I lied. I added the virtual card to my wallet. I passed on the physical card.

I realized two things:

1. I need to buy a laptop for DD who goes off to college in a couple of weeks. She wants a Mac and I can get a 3% discount.

2. I don't have to move money around. I'll set it up to autopay from a bank account and I'll immediately apply the cash back to the balance, giving me mostly a 3% discount since I'll probably only use it for Apple purchases.

The downloadable transactions are a bummer, but since my use of this card will be limited to Apple, I can deal with entering the transactions into Moneydance manually.

Now I need to install the Costco app (thanks for the tip btw). :)

Cumulative?

This reflects my ignorance of Apple Pay, I think. But I see a specific FAQ on Discover’s website that says purchases made with Apple Pay do receive the Discover cash back reward:

http://discover.com/ApplePay

Last edited:
Apple Pay and the Apple Card are two different things.

Apple Pay is a link between a credit card and your phone/watch so that other card gets used when you use Apple Pay.

The Apple Card is (as the name suggests) an actual credit card, unrelated to any other.

Apple Pay and the Apple Card are two different things.

Apple Pay is a link between a credit card and your phone/watch so that other card gets used when you use Apple Pay.

The Apple Card is (as the name suggests) an actual credit card, unrelated to any other.

Right, this is sinking in. The card is open to me (or will be), Apple Pay will come with a more recent device.

[ADDED] In the meantime I’ll pay more attention to noting what merchants in my area accept Apple Pay.

Last edited:
I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my other cards in the Apple Wallet (added my bank debit card and another credit card) also get the benefit of ‘fake’ numbers when using them online. In other words, a virtual card number linked to the real one. Probably applies to ApplePay as well.

The main ‘bad’ news is that for some reason there is almost *no* Apple Pay in Mexico :(

But I can always circumvent that for a lot of things, making purchases online with store pickup, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my other cards in the Apple Wallet (added my bank debit card and another credit card) also get the benefit of ‘fake’ numbers when using them online. In other words, a virtual card number linked to the real one. Probably applies to ApplePay as well.

Well yes, that’s the whole point of ApplePay.

I had a chance to use my Apple Card over the weekend. Summary: works as expected.

I used it at the Apple Store on Saturday. I didn't get the daily cash back until Monday. Once the cash showed up as Apple Cash, I applied it to the Apple Card balance. Overall, pretty easy.

I find myself using the Wallet app a lot more: credit cards, loyalty programs, and tickets/boarding passes. Makes my life easier. It's a smart move by Apple.

There were two articles about the Apple Card published on CNBC. This one focuses on its role in keeping iPhone users who might otherwise consider Android devices. Key points:

Apple’s new credit card will help Apple retain current iPhone users.

The interface for the card is an iPhone app, and users can’t even pay their balance from a web browser or Android phone.

If it can keep Apple fans loyal, Apple Card could end up being a smashing success even if it doesn’t contribute a meaningful amount to the company’s services revenue or end up being Apple’s beachhead in the financial industry.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/13/apple-card-promotes-iphone-steers-users-from-android.html

Last edited:
I have not found much to beat my combo of credit cards for cash rewards.

Amazon card for Amazon purchases
Costco Visa for gasoline, travel and restaurants
Discover card for their rotating 5% cash back offers
Fidelity 2% for most other stuff

Apple card seems useless to me. I don't buy enough Apple equipment to make having it worthwhile.

Yep, I was going to pass on the Apple Card too. But that extra 1% earned me $18, so why not?

I have had my apple card for a few days, I am liking it so far!

I also have the Costco card on the app and love it!

Back
Top Bottom