Apple Card

The physical card only has a chip. I’m curious to know if it requires or uses a PIN and if it’s a true chip and pin card. If so, then this could be a replacement for the FirstTech CC.

My understanding is that the card is a typical American Mastercard -- not a "true chip and pin card."

The clearer term is PIN-priority card, and yes, US issuers are very few.

The problem with a PIN-priority card is that PIN is required most of the time and users in the US probably don’t want that as it is inconvenient here. If I use my PIN-priority card at checkout I have to enter the PIN. Terminals may not be set up with access for a customer entering their PIN. Unlike in Europe, we don’t have servers bringing card readers to the restaurant table for customers to push in their card and enter their PIN.

If ApplePay is accepted you get completely past all those PIN issues, plus online security is preserved. I would be careful not to give out numbers in a non-ApplePay situation. A chip card reading terminal fine, but not if the checkout person wants the CVC which I occasionally see. What’s with that anyway? Checkout person takes your card and enters the CVC in their terminal! Similar with online purchases that require the entire number, date of expiration, CVC, name and billing address.

Really, we’re so bad about online credit card security in the US. Few places require additional online verification such as MasterCard SecureCode which requires an additional user PIN. I occasionally see Verified by VISA, but it doesn’t require me to enter an additional PIN. It’s really not clear how Verified by VISA can identify the person using the card credentials.

Last edited:
I see a news item saying that the card is being rolled out for people who expressed early interest.

I’m coming around to the idea but have a lot to learn about setting it up. I have the Wallet app (opened but never used) on my phone and have added PayPal as a payment method but that’s about it!

If you don't have any other cards in there, you may have an item named "Apple Pay". If so, try tapping that and you should get the option to add a card.

If you don't have any other cards in there, you may have an item named "Apple Pay". If so, try tapping that and you should get the option to add a card.

Still no go. I just spent phone time with Discover, the card I’d like to use (and have, with iTunes and the Apple Store) as my default payment.

They were thorough and pleasant but surprised to see no links or request for Apple Pay authorization (apparently normal practice). So the issue is still unresolved but I’ll take a step back and return to it later. Eventually things get fixed. I don’t want to drift this thread off topic so will let it be. Unless I find the magic sequence.

Thanks!

I’m done poking around and the answer is simple: my mobile devices don’t support Apple Pay either due to age or type.

This comes from two sources: Apple’s support pages and a phone call to Apple support.

So... no soup for steely. For now. [emoji4]

[ADDED] That doesn’t lock me out of Apple Card I don’t think. I’d just need the physical card.

Last edited:
I received an invite email this morning for an Apple Card.

I’ll probably go ahead and get the card, but I suspect I’ll only use it at the Apple store and maybe for international travel. I am curious to see how well it provides data outside of Apples ecosystem. In other words, if I can’t somehow export transactions, it’s really going to limit my usage of this card.

if I can’t somehow export transactions, it’s really going to limit my usage of this card.

And here's the answer, just released:
In a support document on how the Apple Card works, Apple says exporting data from Apple Card is not a feature offered at this time. From the document: "Exporting data from Apple Card to a financial app like Mint is not currently supported."

As financial apps like Mint and software like Quicken are popular with many people, it's possible that Apple will add support for exporting data in the future. Right now, Apple Card data and transactions can be viewed and managed only on the iPhone and the iPad, with no web support available.

No downloadable transactions makes my life harder, not easier.

With the Fidelity card, I get 2% back that is automatically deposited to my brokerage account, which yields ~2%.

With the Apple Card, I’d have to move money around. The only benefit is 3% at the Apple store and 2% cash back for international purchases, and neither are that exceptional (you can do better elsewhere).

I decided to take a pass for now. But hopefully if someone on the forum gets the card, they’ll give us a review.

The Apple Card has only rolled out to "select" customers. It will open up to everybody in late August. I use Apple Pay with my iPhone 5S and Apple Watch and love it. I never have to pull out my wallet at Trader Joe's, Costco (tied to my Amazon Prime Visa card), and other places. Paying use the watch is ultra slick and secure. I will apply for the new Apple Card as soon as it's made available to me.

Last edited:
The Apple Card has only rolled out to "select" customers. It will open up to everybody in late August. I use Apple Pay with my iPhone 5S and Apple Watch and love it. I never have to pull out my wallet at Trader Joe's, Costco (tied to my Amazon Prime Visa card), and other places. Paying use the watch is ultra slick and secure. I will apply for the new Apple Card as soon as it's made available to me.

Same here. I'm looking forward to the invitation for the card, but I've been happily using Apple Pay with my watch or phone for years and I love it. AFAIK it's about the most secure way to buy something.

I love Apple Pay but around here when I try to use it anywhere but a large grocery chain or department store, I still usually get a blank stare from a cashier when I ask if it's taken. One or two stores can take it but they insist on keeping the card reader behind the counter where they have to take your physical card and swipe or insert it. The cashiers are totally clueless and are given zero training. When I educate one, the next time I'm there I see a new face and it starts all over again. Maybe one day ...

But if I can't export my transactions to Quicken, that's the deal killer.

I have to pull out my card at Costco because they require the Costco Membership ID at checkout, and it happens to be my credit card.

Same here. I'm looking forward to the invitation for the card, but I've been happily using Apple Pay with my watch or phone for years and I love it. AFAIK it's about the most secure way to buy something.

Yep!

+1 for Apple Pay.

I use it all of the time with a number of different credit cards. It works especially well when traveling internationally. Lots of countries support Apple Pay and you avoid the hassle of having to sign a receipt.

I have to pull out my card at Costco because they require the Costco Membership ID at checkout, and it happens to be my credit card.

We got a little flyer at our Costco visit last week about downloading its app so you can just use your phone, no membership ID card needed at checkout--I guess a new feature. The reviews at the app store are terrible and it doesn't sound like the app has a payment feature within it anyway. Too bad, I was intrigued.

We got a little flyer at our Costco visit last week about downloading its app so you can just use your phone, no membership ID card needed at checkout--I guess a new feature. The reviews at the app store are terrible and it doesn't sound like the app has a payment feature within it anyway. Too bad, I was intrigued.

The Costco app has always worked well enough for me, although I seldom use it.
The new thing is that now it will display your card. That could come in handy because I keep all those membership cards in my car and I sometimes forget to take it with me when I go into the store.

OK, I’ll look at that.

The Costco app has always worked well enough for me, although I seldom use it.
The new thing is that now it will display your card. That could come in handy because I keep all those membership cards in my car and I sometimes forget to take it with me when I go into the store.

Good to know—I’ll see if it will work for me. I use my Costco Visa all the time so will still carry it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom