Join Early Retirement Today

Applied for SS- now what?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Applied for SS- now what?

DH applied for SS this morning, but when does he get confirmation that it is all approved? He can see status as pending. Also, when does he get confirmation of the amount? Or does this align with the projections online (he has been retired since 2011 so no new money that would change the projections online)

bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I signed up online last October and received a phone call from SS a few weeks after and they confirmed the amount I would receive starting this month.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

IIRC, my 'pending' status ended a few days after I got my letter explaining the details of my SS payment.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I signed up online last October and received a phone call from SS a few weeks after and they confirmed the amount I would receive starting this month.
Surprised they called- did they need to verify any info or did they call just to tell you about your benefit?
Old 01-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #5

DW got a call yesterday explaining her entire benefit, when she would receive the deposit and when we should stop paying Medicare premiums. They said they would also follow up with a written response. No verification was necessary. We did ask them to withhold for Fed Taxes. I'm not sure if that was on the application or not. I didn't apply for her.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #6

He should get a written notification of the application mailed and it will state the amount of the benefit. In my case anyway the online estimate was spot on since I hadn't worked for several years before applying either.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #7

Thanks all- this has been helpful
Old 01-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
Surprised they called- did they need to verify any info or did they call just to tell you about your benefit?
They called to see whether DW wanted to start her SS at the same time. I asked them to verify my amount which they gave to me over the phone. I also asked them about withholding for fed tax, and they said I would need to fill out a form and send to my local office, although they did mail me that form a few days after the call.

I just received a written confirmation from them yesterday that reflected the numbers given to me over the phone, but it indicated first payment would not come until 3 rd week in February.