Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
This is a serious question, not sarcasm.
Do you actually need a permit of some kind to hold a part-time job in the US (other than citizenship, green-card etc)? If so, how do the 'powers that be' decide if you qualify? What does it cover: mowing lawns, babysitting?
Here in the frozen north, there are some restrictions on who businesses can hire on a regular basis but casual work for 'the guy next door' is fine. School attendance is mandatory until grade 8 or age 16, but weekends are yours.
Same child-labor laws here. The work permit probably just covers employers who are required to pay employment/payroll taxes. So her Kumon supervisor can't put her on the payroll without a work permit, although that same supervisor would be free to hire her as an "independent contractor" to mow her lawn or babysit her kids. I guess our kid would have to declare lawn-mowing/babysitting income as self-employed earnings and pay her own employment taxes.

I didn't mean to imply that getting a work permit is the kid's/parent's responsiblity. Her Kumon supervisor took care of that paperwork along with the witholding and other tax paperwork.

Our kid is the top earned-income employee in our household now, and pays more state taxes than we parents...

Our kid's high school has a work-release program for quailifying seniors, with classes up until noon and the rest of the day free. Four courses instead of six. She's far enough ahead on credits that she's applied for it. She'll continue to work at Kumon, perhaps take courses at the local community college, and get cracking on those college applications.

And of course kids are free to drop out anytime for homeschooling/unschooling & GEDs. Ours has had no interest in "Dad's Homeschool", despite my repeated generous offers to devote my time & attention to improving her appreciation of the finer aspects of education & culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I'm coming back next lifetime as a hot chick with X-ray money detectors for eyes.
You're still going to post the pictures here, right?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to have a Very nice Car, it became to much hassel parking it, worrying about it getting Key'd or Dented, People Bumping into it, etc..same for the Corvette.. Sold them both..now just a Lincoln TC and a older Mazda Miata sports car, Took out One of my Old Cars for a Drive qround the lake to have some drunk hit us and ruined that one ( 56 chevy) so keep the other 2 ( a 57' chevy and 72 Olds 442) parked in the Garages , House in Wi. is pretty well Covered up from the street with Evergreen Trees, etc.. and set back 100 yrd long driveway, Security system, etc..and just go were the others like kind go and stay away from inappropitate places that attract the lower mentality & trouble maker types..still no guarantees.. and I Do keep Guns in the House, since I am a Hunter and do Gun Club - trap shooting, etc..Still have my M16 from the Army days..

Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 AM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
We did a survey a few weeks ago. The vast majority of people on this forum declared themselves millionaires. Since only about 8% of the population belongs to that club, I think that millionaires could be described as rich. And if you are 40/50 years old and you can afford to stay in your PJs at home all day, I think that only on ER.org would we question whether or not that qualifies as rich.
Sorry but rich is not the proper word into todays world even with the recent downturn in net worth. Financially secure might be a more suitable term for posters-lurkers here. The truly wealthy-rich will not be hanging out on this site. No offense meant to all the great LBYMr's here but it's a relative world
Old 03-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
The truly wealthy-rich will not be hanging out on this site. No offense meant to all the great LBYMr's here but it's a relative world
What's your definition of the "truly wealthy-rich?" Try to specific with some numbers......
Old 03-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #105
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
What's your definition of the "truly wealthy-rich?" Try to specific with some numbers......
Well, I would have to agree that billionaires like Warren Buffet probably don't participate on this website. I don't think he would have the time to post. On the other hand, that is just a hunch and there is no way to know! Some of our members do seem to be extraordinarily wealthy.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Well, I would have to agree that billionaires like Warren Buffet probably don't participate on this website.
I think he spends most of his online time playing bridge with Bill Gates. Or did, once upon a time.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #107
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think he spends most of his online time playing bridge with Bill Gates. Or did, once upon a time.
That is when they aren't posting on the ER Forum about how old their oldest clothes are, that they would wear outside the house, or what their car value to house value ratios might be...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfp View Post
I should not judge others by what we do..
Excellent advise for everyone here........
Old 03-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Sorry but rich is not the proper word into todays world even with the recent downturn in net worth. Financially secure might be a more suitable term for posters-lurkers here. The truly wealthy-rich will not be hanging out on this site. No offense meant to all the great LBYMr's here but it's a relative world
Again, I don't care whether YOU think you are rich, what I care about is whether other people think you are rich. Yes you are right, it's a relative world. So why compare yourself with the wealthiest 8% of the population (the "millionaires") instead of comparing yourself to the other 92%? And actually, you are comparing yourself to the "truly wealthy"... What's that? The top 1%? The top 0.1%? Bill Gates? It's kinda skewed, don't your think? Again, relative to the vast majority of people, ER.org posters can arguably be considered rich.

Put it another way. Let's say you are driving a Suburban. In your mind it's a rather small car compared to the car of your dreams, the Hummer H1. But would other people who drive compacts, sedans and small SUVs really think that a Suburban is a small car?

I conducted an informal survey among family and friends over the past week. To the question: "would you consider someone with a net worth of $1M+ rich", 95% answered "yes". The lone person who answered "no" happened to be the one millionaire in the bunch...
Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I conducted an informal survey among family and friends over the past week. To the question: "would you consider someone with a net worth of $1M+ rich", 95% answered "yes". The lone person who answered "no" happened to be the one millionaire in the bunch...
So, were all your friends and family jealous of you?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Well, I would have to agree that billionaires like Warren Buffet probably don't participate on this website. I don't think he would have the time to post. On the other hand, that is just a hunch and there is no way to know! Some of our members do seem to be extraordinarily wealthy.
Ok, Warren, the game's up!
Come out, come out wherever you aaaaaaaaarrrrre.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
So, were all your friends and family jealous of you?
No, because they have no idea about how much we make or how much we have. We were talking about executive compensations and the question came up in that context. So they assumed I was asking a purely rhetorical question...
Old 03-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ok, Warren, the game's up!
Come out, come out wherever you aaaaaaaaarrrrre.
And while you're at it, can you give me 10 shiny A shares of Berkshire to match my 10 B shares?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Again, I don't care whether YOU think you are rich, what I care about is whether other people think you are rich. Yes you are right, it's a relative world. So why compare yourself with the wealthiest 8% of the population (the "millionaires") instead of comparing yourself to the other 92%? And actually, you are comparing yourself to the "truly wealthy"... What's that? The top 1%? The top 0.1%? Bill Gates? It's kinda skewed, don't your think? Again, relative to the vast majority of people, ER.org posters can arguably be considered rich.

Put it another way. Let's say you are driving a Suburban. In your mind it's a rather small car compared to the car of your dreams, the Hummer H1. But would other people who drive compacts, sedans and small SUVs really think that a Suburban is a small car?

Why are you so interested in hammering on this?

"Rich" is clearly a word open to any interpretation. It is a judgment, not a statement of fact, or a reliable taxonomic categorization

IMO, it does not include people who spend a lot of time obsessing about small daily expenses. Or trying to define "rich"". How 'bout I help you out of your pain- You, Firedreamer are hereby certified as rich, and let no one challenge this label. You can now go forth with a calm heart.

Ha
Old 03-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

"Rich" is clearly a word open to any interpretation. It is a judgment, not a statement of fact, or a reliable taxonomic categorization

IMO, it does not include people who spend a lot of time obsessing about small daily expenses. Or trying to define "rich"". How 'bout I help you out of your pain- You, Firedreamer are hereby certified as rich, and let no one challenge this label. You can now go forth with a calm heart.

Ha
I was just trying to re-center the debate around my original question. You are right, I don't care either way and I am letting it go. You guys keep talking amongst yourselves.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ah, but it needs to be! If it's not, then how can the gov't tax the heck out of "the rich"? Just consider us trying to define the word as doing what we can for our country, instead of asking what our country is doing to for us.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Again, I don't care whether YOU think you are rich, what I care about is whether other people think you are rich. Yes you are right, it's a relative world. ...
I realize that financially I am better than many people out there. Still, I do not consider myself as rich, because I still have concerns over money, and the market movement still makes me sweat. The truly rich would have expenses way below the 4% SWR, unless they were really stupid, which makes you wonder how they stumbled across that pile of money in the 1st place. But I digress.

Anyway, what worries me is if the guvmint thinks you are rich. Now, that's a scary thought!

I know several friends who made the same or higher salary than I did, back when I was with megacorps. Then, the last 13 years I made even less than they did, due to my leaving the safety net and taking chances with business ventures that crashed and burned. Why is it that my assets are more than theirs? How will I get punished for my LBYM philosophy?

Remember that your neighbors or your cousins do not know what you have. Big brother, on the other hand, knows every dollar you have, and where you stash it.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:14 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

"Money money money
Always sunny
In a rich man's world" - ABBA

It has not yet rained in my world. But it has been pretty cloudy, and the lightning is awesome!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
"Rich" is a state of mind. I am rich because I decide that I am. I have enough to live my life the way I want to until I die.

(I know some people who are worth more than $10 million. I would not trade with them.)
Old 03-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
(I know some people who are worth more than $10 million. I would not trade with them.)
Trade what with them?