Australian Pension Scheme in dire straits

Maybe the sale of canned cat food will go up when pension is cut back.

Last edited:
No need for that, we have plenty of kangaroos and koalas in the backyard if we're desparate:D
Throw another yabby on the barbie. ;)

One of the comments mentioned the real reason for this comment by the Minister. Loss of tax revenue.

Here in the good old USA, we have the same problem. And now we've started raising income taxes again. That's going to work against incentives to keep working. ER will look better all the time.

I see in the article the Australian Minister, was born in 1970. The same as Paul Ryan. Seems to be a mindset among this age group. I hope I'm taking a dirt nap before they gain widespread power. It won't be a good time to be elderly.

. I hope I'm taking a dirt nap before they gain widespread power. It won't be a good time to be elderly.

Agree. If they need more taxpayers, there is every chance they may disincentivise RE's by direct taxation on income or wealth.
If that happens, it may be time to look for greener pastures.

This topic is interesting, so lets try to avoid partisan comments and views. :)

When "those in power" (pick your country, party, and cultural name for politician) start talking like this, then these are the fears that well up:

• Net worth tax
  • "Passive income" tax increase. Not necessarily the USA IRS definition, but rather income gained from means other than a direct or implied employment contract between you and an employer.
  • Net worth means testing for medical and retirement
  • Retirement fund aggregation. Hey, let's take all that money you earned and are managing and pool it together so the gvmt can take good care of it for you.
  • Increasing eligibility ages
They would all hit ERs hard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom