best cd rates

Credit unions (Navy Federal, Pen Fed, etc...) as well as online banks (ING, USAA, etc...) are good places to find higher CD rates.

Few months ago I did an Ally at 1.99 % for a year. Stuff changes all the time look around.

I think fatwallet.com forums have a permathread on this topic. You'll get good info there.

Pentagon Federal (PenFed) is always a good one to check out. Anyone can join but you may have to pay a one time $20.00 fee.

Lately I've found my best money market and CD rates at local credit unions.
I had an interesting thing happen recently. I called my credit union that was attached to my job before retiring, to close the account. The clerk started the speech about if I closed it I could never get in again because it was strictly a "Municipal employee" credit union. So I tell her I don't have much money in it and don't really want or use the account for anything, so send me my $700 please. Then she says if I had at least $75K in the account I could be getting 3% interest. I told her I tried to put larger sums of money in years ago and you turned me down. There were limits of only accepting $3000 per quarter at the time, which I never put in. Anyway, the lady tells me if I will bring $75K she will allow it now and pay me 3%. So I offer $100K and she says no all I can take is $75k. Strange way to do things but I put the money in the following business day and I'm getting 3%, a pretty good rate I think right now. Seems they were making a lot of employee loans and needed the cash. I've had dealings with this Lady and the credit union since 1996 so I know them pretty well. She always told me, I don't want extra money laying around but if I can loan it out and make money then things work like they are supposed to. Credit Unions must have to balance what comes in (deposits) and what goes out in loans very closely.
Post got longer than I meant for it to.
So whats a few extra words among friends, right ? :whistle:
Steve
PS. I'm getting 3% at another local credit union also. They accepted more money but did limit the amount on me too.

Back
Top Bottom