Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2024 - Please post updates here

I still don't get why people keep chasing high % CD's which most have been lower than some savings accounts online? When you have online bank accounts offering 5.32% APY interest rate at 5.17% for money market accounts which is the same as a high breed savings account or on another bank online is offering for its savings account 5.10% APY interest rate at 4.97%. I came out very well with these accounts last year. and both only need $100 dollars to open and your money isn't tied up?

Many of those have to pay a higher rate for a reason, that is, they are not in good financial standing. I would not want my money tied up at one of those places hoping for a gov't bailout.

Hi. I posted this on 1-25 and I'm still seeking some feedback.

I think this is a High Yield Savings Account from an online bank, but the interest rates are more in line with MM or CDs. The rate listed is 5.25% APY. Whereas Ally is currently 4.25% APY. So, I'm what am I missing? Here's a link to their website: https://www.ufbdirect.com/savingsac...arxEzkzJTpZ_hjhMaTSh0EZZXn9i571MaAkwTEALw_wcB

Here's a summary:
Features

• Earn up to 5.25% APY.*
  • No monthly maintenance fees.
  • No minimum deposit required to open an account.
  • Access your funds 24/7 with easy-to-use digital banking tools.
  • Enjoy peace of mind with FDIC insurance up to the maximum allowance limit ® Certificate #35546.
View attachment 49051

Thank You

I read the link and didn't see any red flags. I'm just getting away from multiple financial institutions chasing yield when my Schwab MM account yields 5.17% and I can have almost everything under one roof.

Many of those have to pay a higher rate for a reason, that is, they are not in good financial standing. I would not want my money tied up at one of those places hoping for a gov't bailout.

Hey Gray I don't think thats why they give higher rates its because they don't have all the brick and mortar buildings they keep their overhead low not like the big banks that crashed in the last 2 and it doesn't matter what back you have your money at if they go belly up you will still fight to get your money back as long as they are FDIC Insured there no different and a lot of online banks are actually tied to a lot larger bank if you research each of them.

Last edited:
Hi. I posted this on 1-25 and I'm still seeking some feedback.

I think this is a High Yield Savings Account from an online bank, but the interest rates are more in line with MM or CDs. The rate listed is 5.25% APY. Whereas Ally is currently 4.25% APY. So, I'm what am I missing? Here's a link to their website: https://www.ufbdirect.com/savingsac...arxEzkzJTpZ_hjhMaTSh0EZZXn9i571MaAkwTEALw_wcB

Here's a summary:
Features

• Earn up to 5.25% APY.*
  • No monthly maintenance fees.
  • No minimum deposit required to open an account.
  • Access your funds 24/7 with easy-to-use digital banking tools.
  • Enjoy peace of mind with FDIC insurance up to the maximum allowance limit ® Certificate #35546.
View attachment 49051

Thank You

Hey Jack this looks good to me and I do use this website to look at how the bank is rated here (https://www.bauerfinancial.com/cd-rate-watch) and I try to only use a couple of different types of online banks and as soon as I can find 1 that has both I will switch to it. That means no fees checking and savings or minimum balances either.

No, financial standing isn't it at all.

As long as you keep your balance within the FDIC insurance limits a "government bailout" is automatic, no need to hope, so just go with the highest yield.

As long as you keep your balance within the FDIC insurance limits a "government bailout" is automatic, no need to hope, so just go with the highest yield.
Agree 100% but I still check out a banks rating (link below) before I buy. It may save me from having to wait for my money (probably not long) and/or reinvesting somewhere else.

https://www.bauerfinancial.com/star-ratings/

pb I agree 100% with you as I've been doing online banking for over 5 years now and I wish I would of known about them sooner but all the big banks try to keep it out of the media and just think if everyone pulled their money out of all these big glass palaces, they call banks and moved it to online I think you would see so big names going belly up.

I read the link and didn't see any red flags. I'm just getting away from multiple financial institutions chasing yield when my Schwab MM account yields 5.17% and I can have almost everything under one roof.

+1

I also keep my cash at the brokerage, earn ~ 5.2% on any amount, and the bonus is that almost half of the interest is non-taxable by my State (IL) an effective boost in interest of approximately .12%
Money is available immediately with a transfer to bank delay of a few days..

+1

I also keep my cash at the brokerage, earn ~ 5.2% on any amount, and the bonus is that almost half of the interest is non-taxable by my State (IL) an effective boost in interest of approximately .12%
Money is available immediately with a transfer to bank delay of a few days..

Ok Sunset but what brokerage you at? And I have not hit the no penalty age of 59 1/2 then I will probably switch to Schwab where I see they are offering a checking account now but thru your brokerage account and I'm not willing to give anything more away than I have to bad enough with the interest I make from online banking

Hi yield savings at CFG bank continuing to do the job at 5.31%. Have not seen CDs that make a lot of sense to me--yet.

I'm hopeful this spike will.

Nationwide is offering a five-year fixed annuity at 5.75%.

Where? It is not on Blueprint income.

Sounds like a MYGA (multi-year guaranteed annuity). You look around on other sites? I used Stantheannuityman.com to buy three MYGAs a couple months ago as rungs on my bond ladder. Saw 5.6% with A-grade company there for a six year over the weekend.

FYI - if the primary owner of the annuity is not going to be over 59-1/2 when it matures, or takes withdrawals out during the MYGA term under that age you will be subject to some pretty harsh IRS penalties.

Haven't seen many talk about 10 & 20 yr treasuries. They're @ 4.6 & 4.86% on Fidelity. If 5 yr is good, why not longer? My 5 yr ladder is fully stocked & have new funds for something different. Any thoughts?

18 Month CD 5.92% Montana HIGH Peaks CU

Sharing from deposit accounts.com

High Rates On Three Cds In SW Montana

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/high-peaks-cu.html#promo57344

18 Month Share Certificate, 5.92% APY ($50k), 5.71% APY ($25k)
24 Month Share Certificate, 5.81% APY ($50k)
12 Month Share Certificate, 5.71% APY ($50k), 5.39% APY ($25k)

Small credit union with a FOM that includes three SW Montana counties, although immediate family members of a current High Peaks member are eligible to join.

Current best non-callable brokered CD rates at Schwab (04/12/24):

12 mo - 5.15%
18 mo - 5.05%
24 mo - 4.95%
36 mo - 4.80%
48 mo - 4.60%
60 mo - 4.50%

Brokered CD yields are trying to catch up to treasuries. They are getting close but still lagging a wee bit. Another 5-10 basis points across the board would put them at parity with treasuries, for the most part.

Current best non-callable brokered CD rates at Schwab (04/12/24):

12 mo - 5.15%
18 mo - 5.05%
24 mo - 4.95%
36 mo - 4.80%
48 mo - 4.60%
60 mo - 4.50%

Brokered CD yields are trying to catch up to treasuries. They are getting close but still lagging a wee bit. Another 5-10 basis points across the board would put them at parity with treasuries, for the most part.

True only in those states with no state income tax.

American Express drops rate on high yield savings from 4.30 to 4.25 effective 4/25. Their 11-month CD is 4.5% the highest of all offerings.

^^^^^^

Yep, Schwab rates have been slowing creeping upward the past few weeks. Most everything is 5% for 2 yr CD's and even better rates for shorter terms. I have two more maturing in early May so timing "seems" good for a re-buy, again...

Current best non-callable brokered CD rates at Schwab (04/26/24):

12 mo - 5.15%
18 mo - 5.05%
24 mo - 5.00%
36 mo - 4.85%
48 mo - 4.65%
60 mo - 4.55%

Rates are 5 basis points higher this week on 24-60 month CDs, unchanged on shorter maturities.

Current best non-callable brokered CD rates at Schwab (04/26/24):

12 mo - 5.15%
18 mo - 5.05%
24 mo - 5.00%
36 mo - 4.85%
48 mo - 4.65%
60 mo - 4.55%

Rates are 5 basis points higher this week on 24-60 month CDs, unchanged on shorter maturities.
Will we hit the magical 5% 5 yr CD's? I hope so, but am not confident.

Back
Top Bottom