Cable Company Bait and Switch

OP here reporting back. I've probably spent a total of 5 hours on the phone to Centurylink over the last week. After much insistence and arguing, I convinced the "escalation" team to have their supervisor call me. To my surprise, after waiting 3 days, she did--and I was actually free at the time to take the call. Although I did not "win" in terms of her getting the cost down to the original quote (she, like everyone else, said she was sure it was not a 'bait and switch' but a poorly trained sales rep) she did lower the outrageous and erroneous first bill by nearly $100.00, and she gave me a slightly lower priced package than any of those I spoke to before her ($91.00 + tax per month for internet, phone, and mid-tier TV; 3 year price lock on the internet and phone). I decided that it was worth it to me to take that offer, essentially $15.00 higher per month than the original quote, rather than go through the considerable hassle of dropping the services and starting all over with Comcast. Finally, this escalation supervisor was the only one out of the many people I spoke with who asked for the sales rep's name and put in an order for another supervisor to listen to the recorded call I had with him back in July, then call me with an explanation and what disciplinary or retraining measures will be taken with him. I am to expect a call within 48 hours. No, I'm not holding my breath.
Meanwhile, I think I've determined on this and another forum I participate in that 91.00/month plus taxes is not a bad deal for what I'm getting. So it is not that issue--ie the issue of cost--that still makes my blood boil but the bait and switch. Once I get some energy back I will try to take some measures to address this issue with the Attorney General.
Thanks for all your responses on this enlightening thread. Something is SO broke with these cable companies. They are just sorry that I probably am one of the few who won't just pay an erroneous bill but dog them until it is corrected and at least some reasonable compromise is made. But it sure takes a lot out of me.

Until this Spring, I paid the local telco about $$73 for 30/5 internet and basic TV under a promotional rate. The internet was never actually that fast, only about 80% the advertised speed. The TV was poor, constantly freezing and sometimes just unavailable. This was for a "fiber" connection, although the last half mile to the house was still copper. We moved right about the time that promotional rate was due to increase, so it would have gone up.

When we moved, that service was not available in our new place, so my only real option was Time Warner cable. I now have 30/5 internet and I actually get that speed (often higher). I pay about $55 for it.

I'm using Roku/Hulu/Amazon for TV, and it's great. I pay $11.99 for the commercial-free Hulu, and of course the $99 per year for Amazon Prime.

So, bottom line, my internet and TV cost is about $2 a month more ($75) than the promotional rate with the telco, and the level of service is an order of magnitude better. In both places, we have just used Ooma for telephone, so that's an additional $4 a month.

I'm a very happy camper here, and much to my surprise, all my interactions with Time Warner cable (even with hard-to-understand customer service reps in India) have been pleasant, professional, and hassle-free.

I decided that it was worth it to me to take that offer, essentially $15.00 higher per month than the original quote, rather than go through the considerable hassle of dropping the services and starting all over with Comcast.
A good decision, given that I just posted a reply in a Comcast-related thread on another forum, within which several people are spinning themselves up with anger because they feel they're owed better terms than they're getting.

Finally, this escalation supervisor was the only one out of the many people I spoke with who asked for the sales rep's name and put in an order for another supervisor to listen to the recorded call I had with him back in July, then call me with an explanation and what disciplinary or retraining measures will be taken with him. I am to expect a call within 48 hours. No, I'm not holding my breath.
However, I hope you have made note of the supervisor's name and contact information, someplace where you can find it months or even years from now. In our society-wide environment of poor customer service, future problems are bound to occur. You'll benefit greatly from the ability to, judiciously, use contacts you've already established in prosecuting your future concerns.

Just as a tag on anecdote - I quit ATT on August 15 and went to WOW (Wide Open West). Last week WOW tried to nail me $4 a month for a TV guide I didn't order and have no use for and two days ago ATT tried to re-bill be for July even though I had autopay with them and they were paid, which I confirmed.

I was able to straighten both out, but the cynical part of me wonders if this is just part of the business model, nickel and diming customers with BS charges that frequently don't get challenged. :mad:

But streaming and a phone call at the same time can be problematic, it can get choppy on our end. In fact, today I'm installing a switch between the router and the VOIP adapter, so I can just switch off the rest of the internet to the house if I'm on a phone call and having drop-outs.

-ERD50

There are number service that perform poorly or not at all over satellite internet. VPN is the main one and VOIP also. The latency is much higher and it is not a solid connection. It's not so much the bandwith but the delay time going up to space and back.

I read a couple of other threads this evening on the topic of cutting cable. One still needs internet service. I see that internet service alone, for some users, can be upwards of $75.00/month or so! Bear in mind that I do not have a smart/cell phone nor want one. Therefore I am wondering whether $99.00 plus tax for the three services--landline phone, mid-tier TV, and internet--is worth it.
If anyone cares to answer: all told, how much do you pay per month for: internet, TV (or streaming services, etc if you use them), and phone (whether landline or cell)?
Sorry to belabor this topic. I guess that's what I am doing. I remain upset about this matter--angry. I despise being backed into a corner, cheated, taken for a fool, "used." That's how I feel.

Marita40, your $99 sounds pretty reasonable to me as long as you're comfortable with a bundle. We go ala carte these days to have a bit more control. We pay $49 for DSL Internet (south metro), $37 for a modest Dish plan, and rounded out by Netflix streaming and OTA. So just a few dollars less than your $99 and that's with no landline, having dropped our $10/mo Vonage plan awhile back.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

If anyone cares to answer: all told, how much do you pay per month for: internet, TV (or streaming services, etc if you use them), and phone (whether landline or cell)?

Landline phone (cell coverage is not universal here): $64.99 includes unlimited long distance in the continental U.S.

Internet: $24.99, that's a normal DSL line.

Assorted other fees and taxes bring the total to $108.31.

We have two TracFones so that is $20 a month, approximately.

Cable is $89.88 with taxes and fees. It isn't quite the basic one but a step or two up. I'd drop it but there'd be h*ll to pay from DW so I suffer in silence. Ah, the things we do for love.:smitten:

I get my service from a very small rural co-op phone company. In 1976 they sent out a survey asking customers if we would support fiber optic service and the majority saaid yes. They finished the complete upgrade a few years ago. My service for telephone including long distance calling and 30Mbps internet service costs $90 per month. I just ran a speed test on the system and here are the results:

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

I just ran a speed test on the system and here are the results:

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

28 up and down are better than mine. I get 25 down and 10 up. But, I am locked into a very good price and any change means lots more $$'s. I will wait until the locked-in price changes and then probably go for more speed. Nothing is as fast as it used to be, or so it seems. ;)

We have "Extreme 150" service and get 81 down and 20 up.

Back
Top Bottom