Car Buying Services - Your Thoughts

LOL, you win. Obviously we should all buy new and never used regardless of the deal.

I guess I can add 'reading comprehension challenged' to 'math challenged'. :facepalm:

How can anyone go from my comment - "If you think the discount is worth the risk for you, fine." to a sarcastic response of "Obviously we should all buy new and never used regardless of the deal."?

Math >> sarcasm.

-ERD50

I'm a USAA Car Buying Service fan...

I recently dealt with USAA's Car Buying Service from overseas, and it was an almost stress-free experience (buying/picking up from the state I flew into and driving it to the state where I live caused some confusion on tags/temporary tags). The interest rate they offered was so good it was not even worth using my "car fund" for the purchase. I was able to get good quotes on a 2-year old car with 17K miles (fully loaded except for dashboard GPS, which I didn't want anyway - AND my favorite color!) literally within minutes from searching on the internet and begin some phone discussions with the dealers. USAA answered all my questions patiently and in detail, and I was able to arrange for a friend in the area to do a test drive and check the car out for me (how fortuitous he was a mechanic!).

Everything was set within the week, and during the test drive a few "extras" were thrown into the deal, the price "somehow" lowered about $1K, and I went straight to the dealership from the airport. The payment was transferred and the car was detailed and ready to go by the time I showed up. Looking at the same car new with the exact same features would have run me $13K more - not worth the "shiny new" moniker.

This was MUCH better than my last "in person" used car buying experience in 2002 - a couple hours lost dealing with someone who could not seem to understand, "I'm paying cash for this car."

I'm very surprised that Fighting Chance New Car Buying Guide - How to get the best deal when you buy or lease a new car. hasn't been mentioned yet. I've used them to buy both my cars (10 & 12 years ago respectively), and I've had friends that have used them recently. Perfect way to have peace of mind and ensuring to the best of your ability that you're not leaving money on the table.

Copy/Paste from their site on how they differ from existing services (truecar, KBB, etc)

HOW DO WE DIFFER FROM TRUECAR, EDMUNDS, KELLEY BLUE BOOK, CARS.COM AND CONSUMER REPORTS?

LIKE THE NIGHT DIFFERS FROM THE DAY. WE TELL YOU THE TRUTH THAT THEY'RE HIDING.

We reveal this crucial fact about new car pricing that they know, but have been hiding from you for over 2 years:

THE DEALER INVOICE PRICE HAS BECOME A BLOATED IMPOSTER THAT HAS
NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY VEHICLE'S REAL COST! (AND THE INDUSTRY HAS MOVED IT FURTHER FROM ANY COST NUMBER EVERY YEAR SINCE 1995.)

We proved it to their senior execs in a 11/27/12 USA TODAY automotive roundtable discussion. To see the "bombshell" exhibit that shocked them, click here

You could have heard a pin drop. No one there knew it! No one disputed it. But the widespread knowledge of the truth is their worst nightmare because it because it exposes their dealer-cost information as totally bogus and shows that their "target price" negotiating advice is built on a house of cards. (Jack Nicholson would bellow at them, "You can't handle the truth!")

If you're looking for that hidden truth that invalidates all the conventional wisdom about the smart way to shop for a new car today, this is the only place you'll find it. Guaranteed!

The inside story of the discovery of that game-changing truth is told in our book, "Letting The Cat Out Of The Bag: How The Auto Industry 'Redesigned' The Dealer invoice Price When The Internet Arrived," available in paperback and Kindle format at Amazon. To read the back cover copy, Preface, Table of Contents and the first four chapters, click here. If you'd like a personalized, author-signed copy ($14.95 including 1st class postage), you can add that to your order for the Fighting Chance information package.

I'm very surprised that Fighting Chance New Car Buying Guide - How to get the best deal when you buy or lease a new car. hasn't been mentioned yet. I've used them to buy both my cars (10 & 12 years ago respectively), and I've had friends that have used them recently. Perfect way to have peace of mind and ensuring to the best of your ability that you're not leaving money on the table.

Copy/Paste from their site on how they differ from existing services (truecar, KBB, etc)

I'll take a look later, but if they think it is some big secret that the 'invoice price' has little meaning, it makes them sound scam-y. That reads like "the 200 mpg carburetor that the oil companies don't want you to know about"!

Anyone else use this service?

-ERD50

I'll take a look later, but if they think it is some big secret that the 'invoice price' has little meaning, it makes them sound scam-y. That reads like "the 200 mpg carburetor that the oil companies don't want you to know about"!

Anyone else use this service?

-ERD50

I know I've only got 3 posts in 3 years, so my board credibility is lacking, but I can assure you it's not scammy at all.

4.5 starts on his amazon book - http://www.amazon.com/Buyers-Leasers-Negotiating-Bible-Edition/product-reviews/0375720677

Also, link to a discussion on boggleheads where it's mentioned. - https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96946

Again, just trying to add a resource...and at $40, it's definitely worth it to me

I know I've only got 3 posts in 3 years, so my board credibility is lacking, but I can assure you it's not scammy at all. ...

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were scamming anyone, just that the write up made the business sound rather scammy. Maybe it's just their marketing style and they are fine. I will check it out later - thanks!

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom