Documentary "Broken Eggs"

Recycles dryer sheets
Home - Broken Eggs Film | Broken Eggs Film

Forgive me if this has previously been posted here, but I read about this film on Yahoo today. It's about the current retirement crisis from the perspective of various generations. I'm going to watch it tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I watched the trailer. I'll watch the whole thing later. I suspect it will be a liberal "woe is me" piece about how ill prepared my generation is for retirement seeking to blame others for the fact that they failed to plan and save and pissed away their money on Mcmansions and keeping up with the Joneses. It's like the need to save for retirement has been a deep, dark secret that the haves have kept from the have nots when it was pretty apparent to anyone paying attention. Typical Sally Saver vs Susie Spender balderdash I suspect.

That was... something...

While I can understand the pensions getting cut feeling like the rug getting pulled out from under you portion of the film, so many people were almost proud of the fact they weren't saving s**t for retirement and then complaining that social security wasn't enough to save them. Seriously... you know you're going to get old and not wanting to work someday, this isn't some big secret

I'm watching it now. Very enjoyable...a little humor, a little heartbreaking, but some good lessons. Give it a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Last edited:
I probably won't watch it as it is 80 minutes long and I have MADD (movie attention deficit disorder) :)

I see that the film was made by the CEO of Retirement Plans for You and Your Business | The Online 401(k) which can create and manage an IRA or 401k plan for individuals as well as small businesses for a fee.

They are using the film to build an email list. Big email lists can be used for marketing purposes as well as sold for a tidy profit.

I guess everyone need to make a buck, but the mandatory sign in gave off self promotion vibes under the guise of social commentary, so I won't be watching it either.

They are using the film to build an email list. Big email lists can be used for marketing purposes as well as sold for a tidy profit.

I guess everyone need to make a buck, but the mandatory sign in gave off self promotion vibes under the guise of social commentary, so I won't be watching it either.

Yeah, I signed in with the name "hjadskhfkjashfjaskdhkasjhdjaskhdjkashdas" and email address "sskjasfhdahsdfhsakdfhklsjdfhskljdhflksdhf@aol.com", and it let me in. I watched the first part, found it boring, and skimmed to the end. It was clear they're selling something.

+1. Despite being retired and having the time to view the woes of others who are not ready for reitirement, I'm going to pass on this one. Spending 4 minutes to watch the trailer was plenty for me.

Oooh, and I thought I was the only one with this disorder! I hate committing to watching a movie, unless it is a really short one. :D

I could do it if it were a comedy or had shirtless men with six pack abs, maybe. I wonder if we could dub in new dialog to make "Broken Eggs" a comedy. Perhaps a character could squawk or cackle like a chicken at inappropriate times. And an egg fight could be funny too.

I just watched it. It was OK, but sometimes these documentaries make me feel too judgmental. Especially the older couple who bought a large house in the Bay Area with a huge mortgage in their late 50's/early 60's. What were they thinking?

I could do it if it were a comedy or had shirtless men with six pack abs, maybe. I wonder if we could dub in new dialog to make "Broken Eggs" a comedy. Perhaps a character could squawk or cackle like a chicken at inappropriate times. And an egg fight could be funny too.

Come to think of it...I didn't have any trouble paying attention to Magic Mike!:D:D

May I then recommend "Outlander," on Starz, and the follow up photo recaps provided by fans??

Shirtless hunky man, one-hour episodes to alleviate MADD, and plenty of comedy in the fans' captions of photos and in the Outmander blog. 😀

May I then recommend "Outlander," on Starz, and the follow up photo recaps provided by fans??

Shirtless hunky man, one-hour episodes to alleviate MADD, and plenty of comedy in the fans' captions of photos and in the Outmander blog. 😀

You had me at shirtless hunky man.

How about shirtless with a six-pack...

"social security is bankrupt" and "social security got started without anyone thinking about who would pay the bills" - Laurence Kotlikoff, Professor of Economics, Boston University. They sort of lost me there. Yeah, SS has some issues, but it is neither bankrupt nor funded by some mysterious smoke and mirrors.

Agree 100% that those who plan to retire on SS alone are in for a rude awakening (or lunch by Purina). The idea that one needs SS, a Pension and some savings would be quite awesome if pensions were currently prevalent. So, since I don't have a pension (nor did I ever realistically have the ability to have one), I just have to make up the difference with personal savings.

What's with the bondage tape across the face of the little cartoon boy at the beginning of the trailer? Is this gonna be one of *those* kinds of cartoons? :cool:

You had me at shirtless hunky man.

How about shirtless with a six-pack...

Hear, hear, it's about time we had a little reverse sexism on these boards!

(Please don't be offended gentlemen, but it is nice to have a change in posting tone for once. :D )

I just watched it. It was OK, but sometimes these documentaries make me feel too judgmental. Especially the older couple who bought a large house in the Bay Area with a huge mortgage in their late 50's/early 60's. What were they thinking?

My sentiment exactly. I was casing the place in my mind to see how I can save more - they had nice furniture they could sell (have you noticed a harb behind the couch also?) I would have made sausage Paella instead of shrimp Paella. I would have gotten room mates way before the relatives showed up, etc, etc. And the wine? (It's OK if it was TJ's for special occasions.) They sure weren't acting like they were short of money. I don't know when that particular segment was filmed (I didn't watch the whole thing.) but the prices in the bay area has come back strong already so it is certainly not 50% down from the top of the market. They might have already sold the place for a very good price by now.

Maybe they couldn't sell this documentary because at least for me, it didn't provoke any sympathy or thoughts except that they should have prepared better.

I just watched it. First thing that jumped out at me was how everybody seemed to have a paper cup of starbuck's coffee. That'd be the first thing to go if I needed to improve my financial situation!

Back
Top Bottom