Dropped Cable TV Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
"60 Minutes" got a little flaky last night (the CBSN version on the Roku isn't quite the same and not "live").

So I actually did what you're supposed to do (right there in the directions): take some time to position and experiment with antenna placement (mine's indoors). Result: 15 channels magically becomes 30. Oooh yeah!

Related: I discovered the TitanTV app, seems very nice and matches the broadcast listing/lineup closely.

Last edited:
"60 Minutes" got a little flaky last night (the CBSN version on the Roku isn't quite the same and not "live").

So I actually did what you're supposed to do (right there in the directions): take some time to position and experiment with antenna placement (mine's indoors). Result: 15 channels magically becomes 30. Oooh yeah!

Related: I discovered the TitanTV app, seems very nice and matches the broadcast listing/lineup closely.
My HD antenna instructions also suggest that you re-scan the channels every so often, because "things change."

I believe some of the Roku models have composite video output. We used a 1st gen Roku for Netflix on my mom's old CRT TV. Not sure about free content, though.

Thank you for that suggestion! I investigated it and the Roku 1 is compatible with my old TV. I purchased it on Amazon and eventually got around to installing it this evening. Netflix and YouTube are free (amongst other channels). The lower definition compared to today's devices is very noticeable. But this adds useful life to my old TV for sure.

:dance:

OTA with Streaming, Gotta Watch Playoff Baseball..

Who you gonna call? Sling TV :D (well, actually didn't call but signed up online).

Usually I'm all for OTA only, but I gave in and just have to watch playoff baseball (Go Cubbies) on TV.

I wasn't about to surrender and subscribe for cable, so Sling TV to the rescue.

I signed up for a 7 day free trial (had I done so on my Amazon Prime TV streaming box, I could have gotten 14 day free trial :blush:) on my computer. Among the live channels is TBS which shows the Cubs/Pirates wildcard game tonight.

After the 7 day free trial, there's a $19.99/month charge. But there's no contract, cancel at any time.

So, my plan is IF the Cubs win, the keep the sign up for a month (Cubs vs Cards baby!).

If the Cubs lose (wait til next year :mad:), I can cancel the Sling TV, so in effect watch the game for Free tonight.

Last edited:
I did the same as easysurfer today (Sling) and the thing that tipped the scale was the NL Division Series on TBS.

I think maybe it was Mulligan that brought it up as an option since I'm not really a sports nut.

I do really like TCM so I imagine I'll stay on with Sling for at least a while (I'm 7-day trial and missed a chance for 14 had I signed up on the Roku). Even if I stay, it's still much, much less than I'd been forking over to Comcast every month!

Last edited:
I finally dropped Time Warner's premium package in favor of their basic $45 Internet / TV package. The basic package still has CNBC, ESPN, Discovery, CNN and Nat Geo. That's enough for me. I'm saving $40 a month. All of these other channels have commercials so why was I paying to watch 16 minutes of commercials per hour? No thanks.

Another smart move that I did a few years ago was to drop my landline in favor of Ooma. I save about $22 a month.

I mentioned before that I dropped all cable TV from Cox Cable, saving me $110/month. I still get internet from them. I now get TV OTA, using an antenna that Frank made for me. See below - - it's the wood and wire thing behind the TV on the left hand side. He said the wire didn't cost much; $5 to make 3 of these antennas, I think? He wouldn't let me reimburse him. IIRC the wood was free in that he had it left over from some other project, out in his toolshed.

He built several antenna designs, for fun. This one wasn't the best but it is the one I happen to have hooked up. Tonight I am getting 27 channels on it, including local stations affiliated with ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX, plus a number of other good stations. Just thought I'd post a photo of the antenna since I hadn't done that yet. Remember it has been through a move and so it is probably a little bent up. :D The point is that OTA doesn't have to mean spending a lot of money, depending on how good your reception is.

I also replaced my $35/month landline with.... nothing? I just use my iPhone now.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 38
I did the same as easysurfer today (Sling) and the thing that tipped the scale was the NL Division Series on TBS.

I think maybe it was Mulligan that brought it up as an option since I'm not really a sports nut.

I do really like TCM so I imagine I'll stay on with Sling for at least a while (I'm 7-day trial and missed a chance for 14 had I signed up on the Roku). Even if I stay, it's still much, much less than I'd been forking over to Comcast every month!

I did the same thing by missing out on the 14 day free trial by signing up via computer instead of streaming box. But if the series goes to a game 5, then that'll be past the one week trial anyhow and I'll be getting Sling for a month. Otherwise, though nice and I may do again in the future, I'll be cheap and cancel and go back to pure OTA.

I mentioned before that I dropped all cable TV from Cox Cable, saving me $110/month. I still get internet from them. I now get TV OTA, using an antenna that Frank made for me. See below - - it's the wood and wire thing behind the TV on the left hand side. He said the wire didn't cost much; $5 to make 3 of these antennas, I think? He wouldn't let me reimburse him. IIRC the wood was free in that he had it left over from some other project, out in his toolshed.

He built several antenna designs, for fun. This one wasn't the best but it is the one I happen to have hooked up. Tonight I am getting 27 channels on it, including local stations affiliated with ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX, plus a number of other good stations. Just thought I'd post a photo of the antenna since I hadn't done that yet. Remember it has been through a move and so it is probably a little bent up. :D The point is that OTA doesn't have to mean spending a lot of money, depending on how good your reception is.

I also replaced my $35/month landline with.... nothing? I just use my iPhone now.

Nice antenna. I built a similar coat hanger antenna which had worked great with an old OTA DVR until the DVR had issues so when I replaced the DVR with another brand, the tuner wasn't as strong and I had problems with CBS. Eventually, I found (purchased) an antenna that I'm able to pull in CBS clearly turned at the proper angle. (The antenna is mounted on a pole by my balcony window - see picture). I get about 60 channels but only watch the major ones like CBS, NBC.

I love the home built coat hanger antenna type and still have the ones I built (2 of them). I promised a relative that if he wants to go OTA, he can have one of mine coat hanger antennas.

Attachments

• ota antenna.jpg
    ota antenna.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Who you gonna call? Sling TV :D (well, actually didn't call but signed up online).

Usually I'm all for OTA only, but I gave in and just have to watch playoff baseball (Go Cubbies) on TV.

I wasn't about to surrender and subscribe for cable, so Sling TV to the rescue.

I signed up for a 7 day free trial (had I done so on my Amazon Prime TV streaming box, I could have gotten 14 day free trial :blush:) on my computer. Among the live channels is TBS which shows the Cubs/Pirates wildcard game tonight.

After the 7 day free trial, there's a $19.99/month charge. But there's no contract, cancel at any time.

So, my plan is IF the Cubs win, the keep the sign up for a month (Cubs vs Cards baby!).

If the Cubs lose (wait til next year :mad:), I can cancel the Sling TV, so in effect watch the game for Free tonight.

I just did the same thing for the same reason - 7 day free trial, mainly so I could watch the cubs on tbs. I cut the cord long ago, and get OTA and netflix streaming. Although 'cutting the cord' is a misnomer because I still pay 60 bucks month to charter for 60mbps internet.

Anyway, as far as slingTV, my impressions so far:

(I use a laptop to feed our TV through an HDMI).

Pros:
The picture is excellent.
There's a fair amount of channels to choose from.

Cons:
Viewing problems: Audio and video often go out of sync after 30 minutes, sometimes making show unwatchable. Stuttering video as well. At a feed rate of 60mbps, it's not my connection. There's glitches in the system.

When I tuned in for the cubs/cards game 1 last night, it wasn't working. I had to call their customer service (foreign) and go through an app reinstallation. That worked, but it still had occasional audio/video sync issues.

To me, if it worked flawlessly I would probably add it to my netflix and amazon streaming to compliment OTA TV.
But, in my opinion, it's not quite ready for prime time.

my two cents

(Oh yeah, go cubbies! I'm originally from chicago)

I want to like Sling, and I'd even consider it if you could also timephase your viewing and have more DVR-like capability with it.

Earlier this year, I made a foray into cable alternatives. Bought Apple TV and Firestick, both of which have decent free content. But, was still on the fence of whether to cut the cord.

Well, also earlier this year, TWC "upgraded" the basic cable to digital. I had an old but perfectly capable 13" color set in the bedroom, for watching CNBC and/or the news in the morning while getting ready for w*rk, but I figured it was time to upgrade anyway, so I bought a small LCD set so I'd have digital capability, plus a much larger screen.

Somewhere along the way, TWC scrambled their basic signal, rendering my new TV worthless without their free "converter", which would only be free for a few months before the rental fee kicked in.

That was the straw that broke the $195/mo. camel's back. Dropped everything but internet. My old DLP set was rapidly dying, so replaced it with a 55" LCD set on sale at Costco. Bought an antenna from Amazon for OTR; quicky test reveals I can get all local channels, though I'll eventually crawl into the attic, and mount the antenna there.

Of course, TWC says that since I'm not on a "bundle", I have to pay "retail" for internet, so around $75, one final screwing, but which is still a savings of $120/mo.

Funny, after calling about the basic being scrambled, I got a lot of apologies read from a script, and also got several offers to "temporarily" lower my bill to around $140, but I told them to GF themselves, politely, of course. :LOL:

I intend to make this work, even though I lost many of the channels I actually watched...

I have to pay "retail" for internet, so around $75
That can't be right. I pay $45 / month for TW internet and basic cable. They must have you set up for the lightning fastest Internet available (that you probably don't need). Mine is 50 Mbps download / 5 Mbps upload.

Called Dish to cancel my subscription. Instead, got a $25 discount per month for the next 8 months. a $200 saving. May call again to cancel it for good when I retire before 8 months is up.

Of course, TWC says that since I'm not on a "bundle", I have to pay "retail" for internet, so around $75.

Are you sure?
I have nothing but internet via TWC. The "standard" internet is $34.99 and I have the "extreme" upgrade to 30/5 speed for an additional $20, so $54.99 total. Maybe you have a faster speed than you need?

That can't be right. I pay $45 / month for TW internet and basic cable. They must have you set up for the lightning fastest Internet available (that you probably don't need). Mine is 50 Mbps download / 5 Mbps upload.
Are you sure?
I have nothing but internet via TWC. The "standard" internet is $34.99 and I have the "extreme" upgrade to 30/5 speed for an additional $20, so $54.99 total. Maybe you have a faster speed than you need?

But TW internet is not available at every location in the country. Maybe you two are getting an exceptionally good deal and have the same provider?

I'm getting Cox Cable mid-level internet (up to 50 Mbps download/5Mbps upload also), for $66.99/month. That's not very much less than what HFWR is being charged.

Last edited:
Well, HFWR said he was using TWC for internet, so it seems a fair comparison.

Comcast gives us a $10 break if we bundle with TV, charging only $60 for internet. Plus fees. Of course, there's no alternative in our neighborhood, so they have no incentive to lower the price.

Well, HFWR said he was using TWC for internet, so it seems a fair comparison.

Oh!!! I'm sorry. I didn't notice that. :)
Comcast gives us a $10 break if we bundle with TV, charging only $60 for internet. Plus fees. Of course, there's no alternative in our neighborhood, so they have no incentive to lower the price.

Cable internet from just one cable company has been given a near monopoly in most locations, it seems to me.

Last edited:
So we use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and a small fistful of other channels. For phone we are happy with Ooma, and then for surfing it is the internet provider in La Quinta California or Oregon. No OTA, as our locations are surrounded by hills that block the transmissions. We have matching routers and our home network names and passwords are the same in each location - when we shift from Oregon to California all we do is disconnect our CPUs and move them, leaving all wires and keyboards and mice and printers in place. Idea is to have minimal possibilities for error and seamless transitions. We call ahead by a few days and get service turned on and make our payment at that time.

All that said, Time Warner failed to get us hooked up - again - and wasted about 4 hours of our time on cell phones yesterday and today, with THREE alleged supervisors failing to call back as promised after claiming to escalate our service request. This should have been simple, and yet the mutton headed system seemed to delight in raising my ire, though I was very aware each person I spoke with was only earning a wage and not directly responsible for the failings of the system. When we finally got a tech on site he discovered the tech who disconnected our internet 6 months ago took the lazy route and put a block (removable only with a security tool) at our house rather than disconnecting at the pole. Remove block, instant internet.

Time Warner sux.

Last edited:

I think I could survive on Sling along with finding a way to watch CNBC. I can already get NHL package on internet and I have found a way to get a computer number (I forget the correct term) established in Europe and then you can buy the NFL package through Europe at a cheaper price. Im just a bit lazy and counting Sling and CBS I would only save about $40 a month which isn't quite there yet to force me to learn a new way to learn to watch tv. I am retired and don't have a lot of desire to learn anything new. If my budget ever got crunched enough, my cranial capacity to learn would increase quickly though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you sure?

Nope, it's the 15mb/s... Maybe you got an "introductory" rate, or maybe they're punishing me for having the audacity...

According to their website, I can upgrade to the next level for $10/ mo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom