Join Early Retirement Today

Genworth LTC rates increasing steeply on 8/1
Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Genworth LTC rates increasing steeply on 8/1

LTC is somewhat frequently discussed here, so this seems like something people here would want to know. If you are on the fence about buying LTC insurance, now is the time to buy it. As of 8/1, Genworth (the leading LTC insurer by far) is reducing their couples discount from 40% to 20% and removing their 10% preferred health discount altogether. A preferred health couple that would pay $3000/year for a policy today will pay $4800/year for the exact same policy in one month. Their policies for couples are currently "underpriced" compared to the rest of the market and will likely never be this low again.

Note - this is not a rate increase, just a discount decrease. A single person in standard health will pay the same rates after the changes go into effect.

Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

So... next month an industry's flawed product, whose sellers may not be able to meet their commitments, will get more expensive.

I guess the good news is that the industry is beginning to realize that they're not squeezing enough profit out of the revenue.

After a year of talking with John Hancock about my father's LTC claim, I think there's enough waste inefficiency in the system for the companies to fix their own actuarial liabilities without charging higher premiums.
Geriatric financial management update | Military Retirement & Financial Independence

Genworth's courteous advance notification still makes me skeptical that now is the time to rush out and buy. Luckily I'm only 51 years old.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Note - this is not a rate increase, just a discount decrease.
Semantics, IMO. It still walks, talks and quacks like a rate increase.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am shocked, shocked I tell you...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Semantics, IMO. It still walks, talks and quacks like a rate increase.
I agree, and agents are also getting screwed with a 15% commission reduction, but it is what it is...for the next 30 days their LTC policies for couples in good health are still priced ~20-50% below the rest of the market. This still won't change anything for standard risk/single people though, so it's not a true rate increase. They made a few other changes such as eliminating the short-pay options and lifetime benefits.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

But will Genworth be around to perform? Weren't they on the ropes a few years ago?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
But will Genworth be around to perform? Weren't they on the ropes a few years ago?
Yeah, but boy are they cheap! For another 31 days, anyhow.

I guess it depends what your definition of "leading" is...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As I understand these products, you pay the premium annually. So if you "beat" a big increase, your "savings" is only on the first year payment and you will end up paying the larger amounts, plus any additional increases, for the life of the contract. Which means you KNOW you are in for a 50% rate increase for next year, and who knows how much after that.