giving notice of retirement date 5 months in advance

retiringat50

Recycles dryer sheets
Theres been friction btwn my immediate boss and myself. So much that I told them I'll be retiring end of June/early July.
Town mgr wants something in writing from me asap. Told him he'll write a letter saying my job is safe.

What exactly should I ask for in his letter?

also told him i'll be having bunion surgery and he okayed

retiringat50. Assuming that your finances work out for you and you can afford to retire at 50 a suggestion on the letter. Simply state that it is your intention to retire on or about June/July _____ 2008. Tell them you've enjoyed your employment even if you want to stuff your boss in a running boiler. No good will come from running down your boss to the city . Its civil service and short of him burning down city hall there is no way your boss can be fired. Set your FIRE date after talking to HR and put up a short timer calendar in your work area.
Then sit down at home and start "the bucket list" :D:D:D

Told him he'll write a letter saying my job is safe.

What exactly should I ask for in his letter?

I don't get it. You want a letter from your boss to verify that your job is safe, notwithstanding the fact that you will shortly leave. Why?

And anyhow, no job is "safe".

I'm confused too. The town manager wants a letter from you confirming your verbal request to retire in five months at the end of June. This would be because he/she can't start the retirement paperwork rolling without a written request from you. That's standard policy for most any employer. Employers just don't start a retirement process based on a verbal request, ever, for obvious reasons.

Now you want a letter from the town manager saying your job is safe? Are you worried they are going to boot you earlier? Why?

If your emotions are flying high due to the riff between yourself and your immediate boss, this would be a good to take a deep breath, calm down and prepare to go through the motions of doing your job for a few months and then retire. Try not to make it into a soap opera. ;)

Was this the same person that questioned riding into retirement on sick leave in the other forum;) If there is a problem with your supervisor, I wouldnt have tipped my hat but no, you dont need no stinking letter saying you are "safe"...if they fire you (unlikely since they know you are retiring), you will get unemployment anyway...

Back
Top Bottom