Ch-ch-ch-changes

I can think of nothing else but Churchill's speech to the Harrow School in 1941. Among other things, he said

Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

I know that you will fight as hard as you are able. And I will be cheering you on the whole way.

Keep fighting and stay positive, God Bless.

kyoung1956,

My mother-in-law had breast cancer in the 70's and again in the 90's, each treated with a mastectomy. Recently she had a scan for another reason and they found a lump on her liver. A biopsy showed that one of the breast cancers had metastasized to there. Here she is either 20 or 40 years after the initial metastasis and the tumor is the size of a walnut. Her doctor says that if the growth of the liver spot has taken this long to get to that size, it is likely that old age will overtake her before the cancer does (she's 75 now). It has been over a year since they found the tumor and multiple scans have shown essentially no change.

Here's hoping that you look back on this 20 years from now as a scary bump in the road of life. All the best.

That is wonderful news. KYoung1956 --- I want to read that this is YOUR story in 20 (and 30 !) years :) We're all here for you. The body has a wonderful ability to heal. Picture those spots shrinking and picture your body gulping down and throwing out any other little bad cells that are floating around.

More well-wishes here.
All the best for many more enjoyable years of ER.

Another source of Churchill-style fighting spirit-
LIVESTRONG.org

It's scary to imagine what going through this ordeal is like, though I'm certain many of us will get a chance to face the Big C at some point in the future, if we haven't already.

But I'm reminded of Apollo 13, both the mission and the movie. I forget which astronaut it was (Lovell, I think), but his comment was something on the order of "no use in panicking, because after bouncing off the walls for a while, they would still be in the same situation" (paraphrase, of course)...

Likely very difficult to be positive under the circumstances, but focus on your treatment, and getting better, and let your support group - family, friends, medical team - do much of the heavy lifting. You deserve some pampering!

Best wishes for a good, no, great, outcome.

kyounge1956, I'm sorry to hear about your health issue but glad it was caught early. I agree with W2R and am glad you have this forum as both an outlet and for information. Healthy thoughts to you......

One more virtual hug!

LIVESTRONG has been a great resource for several people I know fighting cancer so I highly recommend checking it out (regardless of what you think about Lance Armstrong, this organization does great work)

I'm sure this isn't the start to retirement that you envisioned. But in truth, none of us are guaranteed to be here tomorrow, so living each day with gratitude is what really matters.

All the best to you.

kyoung1956,

Like everyone else, I wish I could give you a big hug. I wish I could think of something to say to take your stress away. Please know that I am thinking of you and sending warm thoughts your way.

-helen

+1 I hope that it is so slow moving, that you have decades to enjoy your new house and retirement. Congrats on your retirement.

I'll add my good wishes to what others have said. I am so sorry your ordeal is not over. I do applaud your brave idea of taking on the whole home renovation at once! Why wait any longer than necessary to see the results.

Let us know what you and your Doctors decide regarding having the liver lesions removed, etc. I am sure there are many more considerations than the ones you have so cogently outlined for us.

Amethyst

Quick update, prompted by Hiredgun's recent thread. My oncologist continued to appeal the PET scan denial, and the third time was a charm. The scan was done in May and showed "no abnormal uptake of glucose, consistent with treated tumor", but a CT scan the week after showed at least one liver lesion had gotten slightly larger, so my oncologist changed my meds a bit starting in June. I had another CT after the first month of the new cocktail, and the mets are stable!

Liver surgery turned out not to be an option after all. The report on my first abdominal CT scan mentioned only two liver lesions. When the PET scan report mentioned only one of them, I asked my oncologist to review the PET, and the CT which was done the week after that, with the radiologist. Radiologist #2 saw additional liver lesions, plus numerous small spots in my lungs, too tiny to biopsy but "suspicious for metastases". He showed these to my oncologist, both on the May scan and on the original CT from February. They were there all along, but for whatever reason, the first radiologist didn't mention them in the report. Since then, I've found out I can ask for the same radiologist to read my scans, and I'm thinking of doing so. The upshot of it all is that I'm no longer a candidate for surgical removal of the two large liver growths. I was pretty upset about it at the time, because if I'd proceeded based on the first radiologist's report, I could have put myself through major surgery with very little chance of benefiting from it since it would have left many metastases untouched in my liver, and done nothing at all for my lungs (assuming the suspicions of Radiologist #2 are justified). However, in the large view, I'm better off now than I was in February when I thought there were only two growths. In February, they were still progressing, and now, even though there are more than I knew about when I was first diagnosed as stage IV, they aren't growing. That's a good thing.

Meanwhile, my motto continues to be "it isn't denial if I just decide to think about something other than cancer most of the time". So recently I have been thinking about my remodel, which is now underway--I decided to go ahead with the whole project, rather than the minimal "repairs only" I had originally planned, and about how I will get my cat and my mom's cat, which has developed some habits unsuited to life in a brand new, fully carpeted, retirement community, to coexist in a 750 square foot house without WW3 starting.

Meanwhile, my motto continues to be "it isn't denial if I just decide to think about something other than cancer most of the time".

Great idea ! I would also suggest a support group . There is something great about talking with people who have been there . Good Luck ! I am rooting for you !

OMG. You are one brave woman. That is something I would not want to take on in a fully healthy state! :flowers: I hope the unsuitable habits don't include thinking outside the box! :LOL:

Amethyst

I will get my cat and my mom's cat, which has developed some habits unsuited to life in a brand new, fully carpeted, retirement community, to coexist in a 750 square foot house without WW3 starting.

I was on travel last year when you started this thread, so did not know till recently.

Yes, while undergoing treatment, it is good to do something else to take your mind of it. And I'd like to wish you well.

I was on travel last year when you started this thread, so did not know till recently.

Yes, while undergoing treatment, it is good to do something else to take your mind of it. And I'd like to wish you well.
I will have plenty of opportunity to practice. At Stage IV, I will be getting some form of treatment for the rest of my life!

Thanks for the update. I'm guessing you'll have your hands full with the cats. Our hearts are with you.

Glad to see your update, but sorry about the latest news.

My dad is a survivor of Stage IV, Part B colon cancer. I know he surely worried, but he just kept on going on (when he felt like it) like nothing had ever happened. Your attitude reminds me of him...though you are much more in tune with what is going on. I remember my dad saying, They tell me it was in my lymph nodes. I don't know what that means....:confused:

Anyway, it's over 20 years later and he is fine.

I just said a prayer for you to continue to get better and that the meds keep everything at bay. You sound good and strong and inspiring. Please continue to update on the remodeling, the cats, your healing, all of it.

....I had another CT after the first month of the new cocktail, and the mets are stable!
.... they aren't growing. That's a good thing.

A very good thing. A big hug for you.

Now about those cats--a dog would give them something to bond over, you know.

Hope your progress continues to be steady and positive with the new treatment. Also, I think its good to have a project to focus your attention and I hope that turns out to your liking.

You are so strong and inspiring - keep it up, my thoughts are with you. Remodeling will certainly give you something to think about ! Post photos as you go along - I'd love to see the progress.

Hope your progress continues to be steady and positive with the new treatment. Also, I think its good to have a project to focus your attention and I hope that turns out to your liking.

no, no, with metastatic cancer, the less "progress" the better. "No progression" (as on my latest scan) means the treatment is keeping the cancer in check. :)

Thanks for your good wishes! I think I got the kitchen color scheme--cabinets, countertop and floor--nailed down yesterday. And I have a backup color scheme in case the first choice gives me sticker shock.

(snip) ...get my cat and my mom's cat, which has developed some habits unsuited to life in a brand new, fully carpeted, retirement community, to coexist in a 750 square foot house without WW3 starting.
(snip)
Now about those cats--a dog would give them something to bond over, you know.

:hide::hide::eek::eek::eek::hide::hide: A dog would probably start WW4!!

Various kinfolks were here recently to help mom empty out her house (by taking large quantities of her stuff home with them), and one granddaughter brought a dog with her. It's a very gentle dog, but mom's cat came two steps up the stairs from her lair in the basement and would come no further. We had to take her meals down to her, because (she told us telepathically) no way was she coming up while the dog was here! My cat is such a Caspar Milquetoast that he might faint dead away if he ever actually came face to face with a dog.

OMG. You are one brave woman. That is something I would not want to take on in a fully healthy state! :flowers: I hope the unsuitable habits don't include thinking outside the box! :LOL:

Amethyst
If she had contented herself with just thinking, all would be well, but unfortunately her extra-curricular activities didn't stop there. I think matters are more or less under control for the moment, on the "if the mountain will not come to Mohammed..." model, i.e. if the cat will not go in the box, put another box where the cat has been going. I think she has only misbehaved once since the extra boxes appeared, and that was while the dog was here, so I will put it down to stress and let her off with a warning this time.

What will happen after the move is another question. I may have to pave my living quarters with litter boxes, at least for a short time. Then, v----e----r----y............... g----r----a----d----u----a----l----l----y reduce the number of boxes to a few and eventually, I hope, only one. I have an automated box which my cat has used in the past, but I don't know if my mom's cat will ever be willing to. She's 17 and may be too set in her ways, and/or unwilling to share. We'll just have to see when we get there!

You are so strong and inspiring - keep it up, my thoughts are with you. Remodeling will certainly give you something to think about ! Post photos as you go along - I'd love to see the progress.

I have just found the cable for my mom's digital camera, which I thought I had accidentally packed in one of the boxes that went off to Southern CA with my sister. Since I am once again able to connect the camera to the computer, pictures are possible.

Back
Top Bottom