Grocery Money - Food Only

If I could afford it both financially and waist-line speaking, I'd eat my main meal out everyday. "Out" food usually tastes better to me than "in" food, plus someone else cooks, cleans, and serves. What's not to like?

I am fortunate to be in a location where within 4 or 5 miles of home I can find the following stores: Fry's, Safeway, Whole Foods, Fresh-n-Easy, Sprouts, Trader Joe's, Bashas, Costco, Food City, and of course Walmart. It takes 20 mi to get to a couple of Oriental stores for some exotic stuff, but we do not do that too often.

My wife does not have to clip coupons. She just watches the store specials and makes a grocery run to score all the good deals. Recently, we get raspberries and blackberries for $0.88/6oz. We routinely get 3 lbs of fruit for $1, 4 or 5 small avocados for $1, 3 heads of lettuce for $1, 4 mangos for $1, 4 cucumbers for $1, etc... I can just go on and on.

Anyway, I just remember that I have not been to AJ Fine Foods in years. It's also within 4 miles. This is a local high-end store, perhaps more expensive than Whole Foods. If one looks for exotic import food stuff, this would be the place to go before trying to order on the Web. I will make a run there for bomba rice soon.

Last edited:
I see several problems with "eating healthy'. One, we don't really know what healthy is.

Ha

I guess I have to disagree with this, at least to some extent. I think there is enough evidence now that eating highly processed foods is not as healthy as eating what I will call "real food". Some examples of what I consider to be "real food" are grass-fed meats, wild-caught fish (such as Alaskan salmon), organic or at least locally-grown vegetables, healthy fats (pastured butter, olive oil, coconut oil), berries (without added sugar). Examples of what I would consider to be generally unhealthy foods would be: fast food in general, anything cooked with trans fats or industrial seed oils, sugary beverages, doughnuts, cookies, crackers (and other foods made with highly processed grains). That is not to say that everyone who eats real food and avoids junk food will live longer than those of us that try to eat mostly real foods (genetics still counts for something). But I think you can tip the odds in your favor by eating the healthy foods I've mentioned above, and minimizing the junk food. My opinion, anyway.

This has been a really interesting thread.

I have no idea what our actual food cost is, but the "grocery" category includes everything bought at the supermarket plus beer. We eat out very seldom, and that is captured in another budget category.

On average, we spend about $500 a month in this category (two people, one cat), so I think we're in the lower portion of the posters hers.

I guess I have to disagree with this, at least to some extent. I think there is enough evidence now that eating highly processed foods is not as healthy as eating what I will call "real food". Some examples of what I consider to be "real food" are grass-fed meats, wild-caught fish (such as Alaskan salmon), organic or at least locally-grown vegetables, healthy fats (pastured butter, olive oil, coconut oil), berries (without added sugar). Examples of what I would consider to be generally unhealthy foods would be: fast food in general, anything cooked with trans fats or industrial seed oils, sugary beverages, doughnuts, cookies, crackers (and other foods made with highly processed grains). That is not to say that everyone who eats real food and avoids junk food will live longer than those of us that try to eat mostly real foods (genetics still counts for something). But I think you can tip the odds in your favor by eating the healthy foods I've mentioned above, and minimizing the junk food. My opinion, anyway.
I don't disagree with you, but as you know there are many doctors who might argue with your meat, and many studies which purport to show how dangerous red meat is. So even your apparently safe list would be challenged by many authorities. I am not saying they would be correct, but when there is this much disagreement, even when we might individually take a stance, I think it is a stretch to say that we know what is healthy.

Of course not many people are recommending donuts and Twinkies, but plenty people are eating them!

Ha

"Hey, Mom! Where's the food?!"

Reminds me of that scene in "Repo Man" when the son comes home to his hippy parents house and asks a similar question and is directed to the fridge. Inside he sees that old '80s style generic can with "Food" printed in black on the pure white label.

"Hey, Mom! Where's the food?!"

Reminds me of that scene in "Repo Man" when the son comes home to his hippy parents house and asks a similar question and is directed to the fridge. Inside he sees that old '80s style generic can with "Food" printed in black on the pure white label.

"You want to heat that up son? No Mom, it doesn't get any better than this". What a great movie!

For my ole man's birthday this year I think he banked like 7free meals he said. A lot of restaurants offer these freebies on your birthday, some even in your birthday WEEK or MONTH creating even more freebie opportunities.

We do that, too. We buy one meal and get one free birthday meal at least once a week for two months out of the year.

A few words from the planet ZED
Confession... BMI was 31, in two weeks, 29.
Refigured food-only grocery @$325
As to eating out...
Hmmm... here on ZED, we have the Master Fry...small town, very elegant Chinese/Mongolian stir fry. Only the local residents know about. Secret, except for the folks who drive 95 miles from Chi-town...
Clean, mostly fresh (as in shuck beans, fold rangoon crab, and stuff clams) and always full and hot... 100+ entree selections.
Fresh Salmon always ready, six kinds of shrimp, 7 kinds of chicken, large beef ribs, fried frog legs, and 25 desserts plus home made ice cream. 16 dish salad selection. Stuffed mushrooms to die for, and spring rolls made all thru the day.
Sushi... OMG... I didn't usta like sushi, but the owner makes it fresh all day long, and many people come, just for the sushi. Always 20 different selections... I'm into the eel and the shrimp/lobster combination.
All in an upgraded beautiful restaurant, with elegant furnishings and soft oriental music.

Price has gone up after recent total remodel... by $.50 per person. With senior discount, we now pay $12.56 for the two of us (including tax).

Nicest part is... because of so many different items, we can create our own variations each time we visit... and never get bored. Some day, will get up enough courage to try the mongolian stir fry... another 40 different selections.

BTW.. because we appreciate what we have, the tip is always 50%+... They love us, we love them... Brought the entire family (14 people) for our 55th anniversary .... total bill $94 including tax. :dance:

I guess I have to disagree with this, at least to some extent. I think there is enough evidence now that eating highly processed foods is not as healthy as eating what I will call "real food". Some examples of what I consider to be "real food" are grass-fed meats, wild-caught fish (such as Alaskan salmon), organic or at least locally-grown vegetables, healthy fats (pastured butter, olive oil, coconut oil), berries (without added sugar). Examples of what I would consider to be generally unhealthy foods would be: fast food in general, anything cooked with trans fats or industrial seed oils, sugary beverages, doughnuts, cookies, crackers (and other foods made with highly processed grains).

I think I will challenge it, at least to some extent. Some processed foods may indeed not be as healthy as some "real" food, even most processed foods. And, yet, saying something is "real" doesn't make it healthy any more than saying that that something is "natural" makes it safe.

You can eat a very high sugar, high fat diet that is not at all balanced nutrition eating all "real" food.

Here is an article that talks about this (among other things):

How Junk Food Can End Obesity - David H. Freedman - The Atlantic

I do agree, in general, that eating processed foods that are high in sugar and that use non-whole grains are not as healthy as eating foods that are less high in sugar and which do use whole grains (if grains are involved). I'm don't think this means that all processed foods are unhealthy. That is, I'm not sure that most processed foods are all that unhealthy if they aren't high in sugar, don't use transfat, and use mostly whole grains (if there are any grains in it).

What is frustrating for me is that sometimes I do seem to read so much conflicting advice. Eat more fish! OK, I like fish so great. But, then you hear. Don't eat too much salmon (yes, the store I can buy the wild caught - assuming the labels are accurate, but who knows about restaurants?). Don't eat tuna or certain other fish too often (mercury). So your left with being told to eat more fish, but then worrying about are you eating too much fish.

Fruit is good. Eat more! No, fruit is bad. Too much carbohydrates, just fancy sugar!

Fat in food is bad! No, fat is good. Just saturated fat is bad! No, saturated fat is fine! Eat 20% fat. No, eat 30%. No, anything is basically fine. No, eat 25%.

Eat whole grains! Eat whole grain bread! No, bread is bad for you. Banish bread. Eat brown rice! No, all grains are bad for you.

Last edited:
I think I will challenge it, at least to some extent. Some processed foods may indeed not be as healthy as some "real" food, even most processed foods. And, yet, saying something is "real" doesn't make it healthy any more than saying that that something is "natural" makes it safe.

You can eat a very high sugar, high fat diet that is not at all balanced nutrition eating all "real" food.

Here is an article that talks about this (among other things):

How Junk Food Can End Obesity - David H. Freedman - The Atlantic

I do agree, in general, that eating processed foods that are high in sugar and that use non-whole grains are not as healthy as eating foods that are less high in sugar and which do use whole grains (if grains are involved). I'm don't think this means that all processed foods are unhealthy. That is, I'm not sure that most processed foods are all that unhealthy if they aren't high in sugar, don't use transfat, and use mostly whole grains (if there are any grains in it).

What is frustrating for me is that I sometimes I do seem to read so much conflicting advice. Eat more fish! OK, I like fish so great. But, then you hear. Don't eat too much salmon (yes, the store I can buy the wild caught - assuming the labels are accurate, but who knows about restaurants?). Don't eat tuna or certain other fish too often (mercury). So your left with being told to eat more fish, but then worrying about are you eating too much fish.

Fruit is good. Eat more! No, fruit is bad. Too much carbohydrates, just fancy sugar!

Fat in food is bad! No, fat is good. Just saturated fat is bad! No, saturated fat is fine! Eat 20% fat. No, eat 30%. No, anything is basically fine. No, eat 25%.

Eat whole grains! Eat whole grain bread! No, bread is bad for you. Banish bread. Eat brown rice! No, all grains are bad for you.
This is exactly what I meant when I said "we don't really know what eating healthy is". Somebody may say that s/he knows, but would not get very much agreement except from other people in the same camp.

Ha

Where?

A few words from the planet ZED
Confession... BMI was 31, in two weeks, 29.
Refigured food-only grocery @$325
As to eating out...
Hmmm... here on ZED, we have the Master Fry...small town, very elegant Chinese/Mongolian stir fry. Only the local residents know about. Secret, except for the folks who drive 95 miles from Chi-town...
Clean, mostly fresh (as in shuck beans, fold rangoon crab, and stuff clams) and always full and hot... 100+ entree selections.
Fresh Salmon always ready, six kinds of shrimp, 7 kinds of chicken, large beef ribs, fried frog legs, and 25 desserts plus home made ice cream. 16 dish salad selection. Stuffed mushrooms to die for, and spring rolls made all thru the day.
Sushi... OMG... I didn't usta like sushi, but the owner makes it fresh all day long, and many people come, just for the sushi. Always 20 different selections... I'm into the eel and the shrimp/lobster combination.
All in an upgraded beautiful restaurant, with elegant furnishings and soft oriental music.

Price has gone up after recent total remodel... by $.50 per person. With senior discount, we now pay $12.56 for the two of us (including tax).

Nicest part is... because of so many different items, we can create our own variations each time we visit... and never get bored. Some day, will get up enough courage to try the mongolian stir fry... another 40 different selections.

BTW.. because we appreciate what we have, the tip is always 50%+... They love us, we love them... Brought the entire family (14 people) for our 55th anniversary .... total bill $94 including tax. :dance:

Where in Illinois is this wonderful restaurant? Sounds like it might be worth a stop next time I'm on a road trip near Chi-town.

I just read the book "Wheat Belly - Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight" by Dr. William Davis. If you believe his theories, you will never tell anyone to eat whole grains again. His book blames wheat for everything from obesity, heart disease, IBS, acid reflux, arthritis, Celiac disease, high blood pressure, and just about every other disease known to man. He claims the FDA got it completely wrong when it encourage eating whole grain food. He blames it on the genetic mutations that have occurred to wheat over the past fifty years due to changes in modern agriculture. The wheat processed today is not digestible by human beings, and has no business going into our bodies. In his book he claims to have healed hundreds of very sick people who were on heavy prescription medications and in terrible shape, and became healthy again by eliminating wheat, and eliminating all of their meds.

So I guess this may be another fad, or fifty years from now, people may look back and say "remember when people used to eat whole grains and thought it was good for them?"

I just read the book "Wheat Belly - Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight" by Dr. William Davis. If you believe his theories, you will never tell anyone to eat whole grains again.

Read carefully. He has two things going on there. First, wheat is Satan's grain, and must be replaced. Second, unless you replace wheat with just the right items from his list, you 'achieve very little'.

What's the diet like with these changes and restrictions? It's a lot like the Atkins diet, only without the cured meats, but in a really scary package. Because wheat causes pancreatic cancer, erectile dysfunction, dementia, and dandruff...

I'll take my sciencing WITH reproducible objective evidence, thanks. (And a side of bacon, please...)

We have not done well this month! We will probably end up a bit under $700, eating in & out combined. This is much higher than I would like, but it had (or will, have, after Thanksgiving) five weekly trips to store, and we had a houseguest for almost a week, and will take inlaws out for T'giving dinner. We also went out for dinner once ourselves plus took the guest out once. :(
Just two adults, normally, but we do eat well. It counts a bit as hobby money, since I love to cook when the time is available.

Back
Top Bottom