Join Early Retirement Today

Hey Queen Martha
Old 03-30-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey Queen Martha

The lowly throne-polishing boy (AKA Greg) must be thrilled with the action in gold and silver lately.

Note to the throne-polisher: its not too soon to take some profits and let the Queen retire. Maybe she will upgrade you to serf.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hey Queen Martha
Old 03-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
The lowly throne-polishing boy (AKA Greg) must be thrilled with the action in gold and silver lately.

Note to the throne-polisher: its not too soon to take some profits and let the Queen retire. Maybe she will upgrade you to serf.
The self proclamed Prince of Snides says you're wrong. About what, I don't know.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

brewer,
my precious metals funds done well. Any idea if now is a good time to take some profit?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Dunno, since we are in uncharted territory. But nobody ever went broke paying cap gains taxes, if you know what I mean.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Yep, a lot of people get rich by selling too soon.

I dumped all of my precious metals a few months ago. I see nothing to support these prices.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

I sold mine in the 80's and early 90's - does that count?

Oops! - still have 10% interest in a patented mining claim in CO and some gold, platinum and silver coins in the safety deposit box - keep em cause they look purty.

heh?
Old 04-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Hmmm

I sold mine in the 80's and early 90's - does that count?

Oops! - still have 10% interest in a patented mining claim in CO and some* gold, platinum and silver coins in the safety deposit box - keep em cause they look purty.

heh?
UM, I sometimes idly wonder what the hell we will do with all the "commemorative" coins dad has when he is gone (hopefully many years hence). He hasn't done anything with them since he bought them many moons ago, and they just sit in the garage. They are purty, though.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #8

CFB,
we a printing a lot of paper and I feel a bit queezy about that so I might keep my metals a bit longer but you point is well taken.

A few cap gains might be in order.

Yeah, I'm gonna buy a few Freddy Krugers one of these days.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
UM, I sometimes idly wonder what the hell we will do with all the "commemorative" coins dad has when he is gone (hopefully many years hence).* He hasn't done anything with them since he bought them many moons ago, and they just sit in the garage.* They are purty, though.
Hey, I'm keeping all my bicentennial collectibles to sell on eBay just before the tricentennial...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
CFB,
we a printing a lot of paper and I feel a bit queezy about that so I might keep my metals a bit longer but you point is well taken.

A few cap gains might be in order.

Yeah, I'm gonna buy a few Freddy Krugers one of these days.
I hear the arguments where paper money flies apart and metal is your coinage.

My thinking is if the stuff happens that makes that true, some lumps of gold will be worth a lot less than a gun and a dog.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I hear the arguments where paper money flies apart and metal is your coinage.

My thinking is if the stuff happens that makes that true, some lumps of gold will be worth a lot less than a gun and a dog.
Yeah, I don't think gold will be all that useful in a real disaster. can't eat, drink it, or use it to wipe your ass, what good is it?

But if we see the USD drop 20 to 50% in a couple of years, hard assets will look pretty good. Likelihood? THERE'S the tough part to figure out.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Like I often say...I dont think the value of cash or how much gold we have will be our biggest issue if the US economy hits that big of a hole.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #13

CFB,no need for a gun or dog. Just get this guy.

WARNING: Do not watch the end of this. I'm serious. They show the guys eye and it is ruptured. DO NOT WATCH COMPLETE VIDEO.

http://www.vsocial.com/video/?d=728
Old 04-02-2006, 03:12 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But nobody ever went broke paying cap gains taxes, if you know what I mean.
This is for sure true. Still, commodity bull markets can be huge, and IMO if you get in early and thus have some early profit cushion, it may pay to keep at least some part in the position. I have no mystical feeliings about gold. But I think that when I bought gold equities back in '99 and 2000, it would have taken a lot of bad luck for me not to have made money. I did get smacked in '97 when I got onboard too soon.

It was hard to buy gold when all the news was how much was this or that central bank going to sell in the next gold sale. Still, though you can never say why, you can almost always say that when a market gets this bearish that it will likely turn, at least for a while. Monetary gold may or may not be a "barbarous relic", but it sure makes nice jewelry. There are 3 billion women n this world, and more born every day. Most of them look very pretty with a gold choker.

And this bull market may not have gone very far yet. Letís chop the old $800+ high down to $600. That was a wild time, and that spike high may not be valid. Then adjust that $600 for CPI inflation. We wind up with an adjusted high of about $1400. Our current price is still less than $600. Meanwhile, other hard assets such as houses have increased much faster than CPI inflation over this same time, especially over the past 7 or 8 years.

So letís not be premature sellers; much of the fun may lie in the future.

Ha
Old 04-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Folks & you too Brewer:

http://www.safehaven.com/article-4898.htm

This guy is a bit kinky, but I like his numbers and charts.

You guys may not understand what a conservative money-play gold is. Some keep squawking about how it has reached its peak and can only go down. Gold peaked near $650-$850 during the last inflationary times of the late seventies-early eighties. Actual CPI inflation since that time has doubled. For gold to just reach its old high would require $1300-$1700 AU. Hummm! I think we're in a commodities bull run right now too, just like the last inflationary period. I haven't fully invested in it, the commodities bull run, because I think a recession is in the near future :. If it happens, the gov't will pump like there's no tomorrow. Business and buying may slow down, but when gold gets wind of more pumping and loose money, look out. To the moon, Alice. It is, pure and simple, a play against the dollar and, to a lesser extent, a play against all the other craziness now occuring in the world.

Of course, if you think things are just normal and everything going on in the world is just peachie-keeno,especially regarding financial events, then I wish you luck, especially if you think the gov't is going to stop printing money and reform itself soon.

Silver is doing especially well . But that's so volatile I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'm waiting for another dip to reload trading shares.

--Greg, the fellow who just hates any part of a fat bell curve.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Greg

Romance - that's the problem - clouds my judgement. Growing up out West - physical gold, silver, platinum, semi precious stones - feed part of my subconscious -?whatever.

Hence - will probably always own some - try to treat it as a hobby and my balanced index ER portfolio as real or 'working money earning my living".

Take the same view toward my small timberland holdings.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:21 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I don't necessarily disagree that we may be early on in a commoditoes bull, but I'd rather have diversified commodities exposure than a narrow bet on gold. But I don't think I will be able to convince the goldbugs, especially with the mon waxing.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #18

UncleMick: I found this old article for you.

http://www.financialinsights.org/Art...cle03-1105.asp

Brewer: I still think a gold or precious metals exposure of 5%-10% is prudent. My conservative play is mostly raw metal such as GLD which decreases the chance of unmanagable swings in price so one isn't shaken out. Plus, the returns seem to be much better than US (AAA) bonds--lately . I see this as continuing for as long as people think every this is wunnerful, wunnerful--or much longer. The new silver etf that's on its way is interesting. Pimp my silver. .

--Greg
Old 04-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Greg!!!

Quit posting that STUFF!!!! I have already got a coin book from the library.

Looks like I've been bit again. Now to recapture the old romance.

Sigh! - What's next? A few mining stocks in my brokage account??

heh heh heh heh heh

P.S. I only cracked once on the cruise - a faceted unmounted fire opal.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Romance - that's the problem - clouds my judgement. .
Unclemick: I think I understand your problem:

It was a dark and stormy night. Gweneth rose and daintily stepped toward the bed. She bent forward slightly at the hips, and reached down toward the the piping at the edge. Her fingers gently caressed the silken gold and silver embroidery that surrounded it . . . . Rothbard approached from behind.

Oops, wrong forum. I'm waiting for Novagold to dip below $12, maybe $10, sometime this summer.

--Sir Apocalypse . . . um . . . (maybe or maybe not) Soon.