Hey Queen Martha

brewer12345 said:
I don't necessarily disagree that we may be early on in a commoditoes bull, but I'd rather have diversified commodities exposure than a narrow bet on gold.  But I don't think I will be able to convince the goldbugs, especially with the mon waxing.

Woah hoah, "mon waxing" :D Seriously, precious metals have really fluffed up my nest a bit. What other commodities are movers?

OldAgePensioner said:
Woah hoah, "mon waxing"  :D   Seriously, precious metals have really fluffed up my nest a bit.  What other commodities are movers?

Pick an industrial metal, any industrial metal. Sugar has blown the doors off lately. Coffee was way up last year. Most of the grains haven't done much, but it wouldn't shock me if corn shoots the moon on ethanol demand.

OldAgePensioner said:
Woah hoah, "mon waxing"  :D   Seriously, precious metals have really fluffed up my nest a bit.  What other commodities are movers?

He is referring to "mons waxing". As in Brazilian Strip. Attractive part time job.

Ha

HaHa said:
He is referring to "mons waxing". As in Brazilian Strip. Attractive part time job.

Ha

Boy, I've never seen anyone get so excited by my lousy typing before...

brewer12345 said:
Pick an industrial metal, any industrial metal. Sugar has blown the doors off lately. Coffee was way up last year. Most of the grains haven't done much, but it wouldn't shock me if corn shoots the moon on ethanol demand.

Brewer: I should agree with you about the importance of owning a general commodity fund. But I view things slightly differently: Of course, some of the price rises in the commodities you mentioned are probably due to poor harvests or higher demand (in China?), but my guess is that a fair proportion of that rise may be due to oil price increases--the additional costs of fertilizers and bringing product to market. That's why my preference is to stick with oil and gas companies that have decent reserves, especially domestic reserves. Oil will push the price of corn and sugar higher, but I'd rather own the source of the push rather than catch the consequences on the other end. I mostly watch gold, oil & gas--and bonds :D. I limit my diversity, but tend to the eggs a little more carefully. Works pretty well--sometimes. I still see oil in a bubble that is just resting a while for the summer. Ag commodities will always respond to fuel costs and money pumping and wages and politics and . . . .demand too. Because of that I don't like playing agriculture commodity stocks such as BG. NEM, the gold mining stock, was in a bit of a pinch last year because rising oil prices increased their cost of mining gold. Owning oil (or in my case, natural gas stocks) hedges a bit of that risk.

As always I hope all goes well.

--Greg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom