How Many Here Have Umbrella Liability Coverage?

My umbrella Co insisted that I max out all the MV and HO insurance before they would issue. That cost more than the umbrella which is cheap at $300 / 3 million

This is common. The umbrella insurance requires primary insurance be at specified levels before it will cover anything. Umbrella insurance is more affordable because it is taking on less risk... that is it only covers after all underlying insurance has been used up.

We have 2mm which at 600 per yr is more expensive in FLA.
I would guess more folks on this forum have it than not.

I think you are right that umbrellas are more expensive in Florida. I pay $280 for $1 million.

One of the few things I didn't like about FL while living there was the insurance situation.

Anyone else from FLA have an umbrella policy? I am paying 600 yearly for 3 of us for 2M coverage with no one under 55 y.o.
I was told in general that FLA has the highest state rates due to many not having car insurance.
I use Liberty Mutual and their Renters/Car insurance was the lowest of the major players in FLA.

We pay $951 for $2M in FL; we have four cars including our 22 yr old on our policy. We also have a rental. Ours seems higher than many.

We pay $951 for $2M in FL; we have four cars including our 22 yr old on our policy. We also have a rental. Ours seems higher than many.

Yup, seems like FLA is clearly higher than other states. Probably in a few years, when your 22 yr old hits 25/26, your rates should drop conceptually in alignment with a drop in car insurance rates.

$3M, costs a little over $500/year.

In my humble opinion $1M is not enough. Much too easy for the insurance company to not try hard enough when their cost is 'only' $1M and then end up with a judgement well in excess of that. I want them to be willing to invest a lot of time and effort in beating the claim.

Not even sure $3M is enough...

Last month I read an article about umbrella policies and called Amica to bump up to 3M from 1M. I found out I'd been paying too much for the past year because when DD became independent with her own car and own insurance, they only addressed the auto and not umbrella. I'm disappointed in the otherwise excellent customer service that I've come to expect from Amica. But they did credit me with the lower rate for one year when DD was on her own.

One thing not mentioned in the article was retirement assets and primary residence being protected. If I'd known that, and if I learned that was the case in NC, I'm not sure I would have upped the coverage. I think it's around the $500 mark. I'll revisit next renewal, I suppose.

Yes, the above is one reason I decided our kid will not have a vehicle when they head off to university in FL this fall.

IIRC, nearly 90% of the umbrella premium is to cover excess auto liability.

Yes...was $1M and we just upped it to $2M a few months ago. It was reasonable priced
under $400. No way I'm risking everything we've worked for

1M in mi for $250. I'll revisit this in sept as our policy renews.

$3M, costs a little over $500/year.

In my humble opinion $1M is not enough. Much too easy for the insurance company to not try hard enough when their cost is 'only' $1M and then end up with a judgement well in excess of that. I want them to be willing to invest a lot of time and effort in beating the claim.

Not even sure $3M is enough...

Having recently obtained coverage, I found an industry website that said typically the first $1MM tier runs from $150-$300. The second $1MM tier usually runs about $75 and each $1MM tier after that runs about $50. My insurance agent confirmed those figures. As I also found out there is also a factor for the number of drivers on your auto policy. As cheap as the additional tiers are it seems like a no-brainer to have the additional coverage...

Last edited:
As cheap as the additional tiers are it seems like a no-brainer to have the additional coverage...

The only wrinkle is that I have heard from several people that once you get above $2MM it becomes considerably more expensive and more of a hassle to get. No idea if that's a general situation or peculiar to them.

The only wrinkle is that I have heard from several people that once you get above $2MM it becomes considerably more expensive and more of a hassle to get. No idea if that's a general situation or peculiar to them.
When I had umbrella liability from State Farm, they said up to $2M was automatically available, and for any additional coverage the underwriters would need to interview me and a different questionnaire was needed. I changed insurers a few years back and currently I can get up to $5M, but the price after $2M jumps considerably.

Nope!

85% of assets are in uncollectable retirement plans.

My philosophy on insurance, as a BH shareholder, is that similar to Buffett, I would rather sell insurance rather than buy insurance if I can sustain the loss.

Auto insurance is rather pricey in my state, and I have multiple "older" vehicles.

-gauss

Last edited:
Yes, $2 million. Helps me sleep at night because it covers the legal costs, and the umbrella coverage is broader than the underlying (auto, home, rental) for exposures that I hadn’t thought of. Peace of mind.

Back in 2015 I researched liability judgement and jury awards in our county in a high cost of living state. Out of a total of 150 cases, the average award was 750K (inflated due to a 33M award against a gangster for wrongful death and few 5-7M medical malpractice awards). The median award was only 15K. So for most people the probability of getting hit with a judgement in the millions of dollars is very small and if these were not rare the insurance companies would have jacked up their premiums considerably. That's why a 2M policy cost $300 to $400 but for that price why not have it for a peace of mind.

Last edited:
$2 million coverage for $257, in a HCOL area, with State Farm.

I upped it from $1 million after DH died because the inherited spousal IRA is not protected like other retirement accounts, until I assume it/roll it over, and I'm not planning to do that until much closer to 59.5.

Yes, we have it @ $115 a year. We've actually used it. Those lawyers are bulldogs and the case was dismissed with prejudice. I'll be a State Farm customer for life, because they really technically could have denied coverage on this particular incident.

Yes, of course. The correct amount to insure in my judgment is the sum of one’s non-exempt assets. So if you own a house titled correctly with your spouse and your financial assets are all in 401Ks and IRAs, then you might not need this insurance. All others should look into it IMHO.

Personal umbrella policies tend to be a very profitable line of business for insurance companies. In my 35 years of working for insurance companies, I only recall paying a few umbrella claims in my territory and few were for policy limits. The few I recall were just additional amounts over the top of the underlying coverage but not policy limits of the umbrella. I did see a claim where my employer declined to write an umbrella policy for customers that wanted higher limits than we cared to provide. That insured ended up with a major claim. Their grandchild drowned in their swimming pool and their adult children sued them for big $$. I don't believe the grandparents were even home, but cases like that are tough in front of a jury.

Insurance companies make money on umbrella policies by carefully underwriting them. They shy away from bad drivers, high-powered boats and other toys that are more likely to cause large lawsuits. Kids on ATV's going under barbed wire fences, falling off of golf carts, jet skis, etc. are always suspect as are trampolines and swimming pools.

Back
Top Bottom