Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I don't know y'all work, but resignations need to be in writing.
TJ
I think what others are referring to is "at will employment" in many US states meaning you can get the sack any time your employers chooses just as long as they don't violate any of the discrimination laws. So if I interpret correctly, what brianinsf is saying is they'll take your volunteering as an intention to leave, then turn it around into a dismissal (just in case you're thinking of retracting it). No need to give any reasons. Just "it's over". And that's your job gone.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamtin34 View Post
And that's your job gone.
And my FIL still doesn't get why my generation feels absolutely no affinity to our employers and will willingly switch jobs every few years (he's in his late 50's and been with the same company/union for 25+ years.. longest DW and I have stayed somewhere is 4-5 years... aka, 401k vested).

Old 05-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would not discuss this with your boss unless you have a long standing and trusted personal relationship. If you think that your manager does not value your contribution etc. then let the 'natural' process take it's course. Loose lips sink ships. And in particular...don't comment about it to any of your co workers.

I am one of the lucky ones. I was ready to go-financially and personally. Change in management and downsizing resulted in me being let go a year ago. I was ready for it-to the point where I had done the research to engage appropriate counsel to negotiate on my behalf. The package and benefits were the icing on the cake. I of course never let on to anyone that I was thrilled until such time as my settlement had been negotiated and I had been paid out.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

We were in an "at will" employment state and a written resignation letter wasn't required in normal times. When discussion about the rumors about an impending layoff came up in a staff meeting I made sure to tell my staff not to volunteer. Other managers saw it as an opportunity to get rid of someone they didn't like without any package. Not saying it's right, but in this time period most people didn't think the company would survive and cash was tight. We started out with real nice packages in the first few years, at the end it was down to two weeks pay plus your vacation time. The layoff process was of the main things I hated about being a manager but it almost seemed like a rite of spring.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamtin34 View Post
I think what others are referring to is "at will employment" in many US states meaning you can get the sack any time your employers chooses just as long as they don't violate any of the discrimination laws. So if I interpret correctly, what brianinsf is saying is they'll take your volunteering as an intention to leave, then turn it around into a dismissal (just in case you're thinking of retracting it). No need to give any reasons. Just "it's over". And that's your job gone.
And the employee has the right to leave at any time....