Votes: 35 25.7%
  • I'm not retired, and wish I was younger

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I'm not retired, and wish I was older

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • I'm not retired, and I'm fine with my current age

Votes: 35 25.7%

• Total voters
Thanks. I already take one a day. A relative of mine is taking two. Well, if it is just fish oil, one cannot overdose on it, can he?

I was thinking that some might suggest a "blue pill", which I do not need. ;)

• I didn't mean younger with the same net worth you have now, unless you'd actually save/invest differently if you were doing it over. And I meant correspondingly higher net worth if you chose older as well. I don't think I have yet worded a poll question exactly as I intended, maybe one of these days...:(
  • I agree that my parents generation got the best deal any generation will ever see, but I don't want to be a generation older.:nonono:
  • My reasons for wanting to be a little older (about 5 years) are:
    • We're already FI at least 33X expenses but 10 years (12 for DW) from MediCare is too long to risk IMO (concerned about health care $ like millions of others), and
    • I am grateful for my job, I've been very fortunate, but I can do it in my sleep now and it's gotten boring for the most part. Before you suggest I just find another job, I can assure you there is no way I could find something more monetarily rewarding. But I will have a second career one day, just not yet.
  • Guess it's good to see that the majority don't want to be younger or older, probably as it should be...

Voted "not yet retired, and wish I was younger" because I need a few do-overs.

I'm retired and I am fine with my age. I still have many years to enjoy my ER, being 46 and retired one year ago.

I agree that my parents generation got the best deal any generation will ever see, but I don't want to be a generation older.:nonono:

We ARE the boomers. Our parents have been through harder times, i.e. WWII if not the Great Depression. Financially, I am not complaining.

My reasons for wanting to be a little older (about 5 years) are:
  • We're already FI at least 33X expenses but 10 years (12 for DW) from MediCare is too long to risk IMO (concerned about health care $ like millions of others), and
  • I am grateful for my job, I've been very fortunate, but I can do it in my sleep now and it's gotten boring for the most part. Before you suggest I just find another job, I can assure you there is no way I could find something more monetarily rewarding. But I will have a second career one day, just not yet.

You are older than I am. I don't know about your and DW's health, but we ourselves have already decided to stop worrying ourselves sick about health care. Sure, I complain about "old age" deterioration from time to time here, but it is just complaining. One can't expect to be like in his 20s. And if it is not a matter of life-and-death, heck, it cannot be that big a deal.

You seem bored with your job, and can't wait to start your ER. Now, that I can't blame you. What did I say in another thread about how younger people coming to this forum would go nuts reading about the "geezers" enjoying themselves? It's torture, I can imagine. But you are there, if you want to take the plunge. So?

Tomorrow is Monday. I am actually looking to get back to work to continue the project I am working on. Yes, it happens! I will enjoy the feeling while it lasts. One day at a time.

I would like to look younger but stay the same age . When I look at pictures of myself twenty years ago I realize I was hot and now those days are over except when I get hot flashes and that is a different kind of hot .
Hey...now wait a minute. You told me a while back we would still be considered hot tamales in Florida when we were in our 80s! :LOL:

I'm retired. I said I'd like to be younger, mostly due to diabetes as well as some fairly significant aches and pains. If I was younger (and knew what I know now) I'd have moderated life just a little bit and maybe avoided some things. Not too much, because I had a blast, but just enough to not be in so much pain. Got a Dr. appointment tomorrow. If they can help with the pain I'll change my vote to satisfied where I am.

Mixed thoughts on it. It would be nice to know what I know now and be 23 again and not make some of the mistakes I made, and take advantage of missed opportunities, but that is not realistic.

"Coulda, woulda, shoulda". I'd wager everyone has that thought.

For now I'm happy with where we are. We have no serious health issues. a comfortable income, and some money in the bank.

I'm happy with my current age. Actually, I've always been happy with my current age. Like some of the other girls, I don't like what gravity is doing to me, but, I'll just not look in the mirror as much as I age.:LOL:

I'm happy with my current age. Actually, I've always been happy with my current age. Like some of the other girls, I don't like what gravity is doing to me, but, I'll just not look in the mirror as much as I age.:LOL:

I guess the failing eyesight is sort of a mixed blessing. :D

I'm one of the "wish I were younger" crowd. Somehow the whole retirement thing made me more cognizant of the sands of time in the hourglass thing. Ugh. I don't want to be old.

As DW's uncles always say at the family get-together every year in December:

"I got me a bad case of furniture's disease.......my chest done fell down into my drawers"..........:)

Being older to be closer to getting MediCare would also mean I'm that much closer to The End. No thanks!!! I could see wishing to be older if it meant I'd also be wiser, but so far I haven't noticed any link between age & wisdom for myself. If I were younger, I probably wouldn't do much different (even though I should), so I'm happy with where I am right now.

Well, as the old saying goes about celebrating another birthday, "it beats the alternative"...

Instead of the alternative, put up with another birthday a few days ago. Officially arrived at geezerdom.:D
Next month will get my first of many gummint checks.;)

What with all the weird things/travels to interesting places never thought I'd live to thirty. This is all gravy!

Instead of the alternative, put up with another birthday a few days ago. Officially arrived at geezerdom.:D
Next month will get my first of many gummint checks.;)
Here's to all of us (the gummint included) being around long enough to collect a boatload of gummit checks. And may we all be around long enough to follow the example of my dad who purchased his "last new car" three times (retired at 62 and made it past his 90th birthday...). :)

Hear hear!

I purchased my last new car in 1972, VW Super beetle. Maybe in in few years will consider 'nother new car.

What's that saying? "too soon old, too late smart"? I wish I were a bit younger and wiser.

But actually there are a few things I would not want to go through again - so where I am now is good.

I'm OK with my current age... just don't want to get any older. I have just enough aches, gray and battle scars to remind me that I'm not immortal. That said, getting older is totally unappealing.

But I guess that beats the heck out of the only other option that seems available.... :)

I have always felt OK about my age, whatever it is. I remember when I turned 40 thinking how odd it seemed - it didn't bother me, but it did seem like it was someone else I was talking about when I said "40 years old". Now, my 50th birthday looms on the horizon, and I feel much the same way. More disbelief than anything.

If I could know what I know now, have the financial security I have now, feel the same degree of self-confidence, and be a younger age, I wouldn't be complaining. :D But assuming that being younger would require that I go back to where I was at that age (including, heaven-forbid, working fulltime), I'd have to say No Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom