Ideas Wanted

Arc

Recycles dryer sheets
One of Slow Twitcher's posts got be fired up again regarding how schools fail to teach kids the basic financial info that could make all the difference for them as it relates to financial security. If we assume, like Nords, that the schools just aren't going to step up, what can we do to fill the void? Volunteering to speak in the High Schools was suggested by Simple Girl. What other suggestions do people have?

I will be on the board of our local Rotary this year and am thinking about recommending offering a program to the youth in our area through that organization.

I look forward to your creative ideas.

I talk to my kids about money and believe that the discussions can take place any and every place we go. It is 1000 + 1 small choices that allow things like FIRE to occur. My kids bring their friends over and we discuss finance in groups at home or in the park or over coffee. Kids friends are trying to open discussions at home and a few are signing up to take "Personal & Family Financial Fitness" class at the local CC.

If we can inspire our children to discuss this topic instead of what Paris Hilton is up to... We are doing once facet of our job.

Can you tell me more about the "Personal and Family Financial Fitness" thing. Is that a defined program?

It is a course offered by the Maricopa Community Colleges in the Phoenix AZ area. I would imagine most larger CC's would have something similar.

Topics covered include:
Buying Insurances and Deductibles for car & home as well as renters
Savings Plans, DBP's, Trad IRA'S & ROTH's
Unit Pricing
Comparison Shopping
Budgets and setting savings goals
And the BIG UGLY Credit Cards and predatory lending

Daughter took and discusses with her brother and says she now knows that Mom is a snmart lady!

Junior Achievement had great programs ... I volunteered years ago in helping two small JA companies form ... essentially mini-businesses formed by high school students. Also, JA helps in teaching basic financial and business topics for elementary classes ... I taught a 4th grade class. Both experiences were rewarding, with many kids getting it, and of course, some had no interest ... same as the adults they would become.

Also, a great book for kids, and beginning adults ... "The Richest Man in Babylon".

Best of luck ... it is rewarding, and you will change lives for the better.

What Charles said about Junior Achievement.

JA is a great way to plant some seeds and provide information about personal finance. I volunteered to teach JA's personal finance curriculum to 7th graders. It was amazing to see the expressions on many of their faces when the real facts of (financial) life were explained to them in terms they could understand and relate to. Definitely a worthwhile program.

My favorite quote from a 7th grader after an exercise trying to make a typical monthly income reach far enough to pay all the bills: "I think I'll just stay home with my momma."

Arc said:
One of Slow Twitcher's posts got be fired up again regarding how schools fail to teach kids the basic financial info that could make all the difference for them as it relates to financial security.

I'm not even sure I agree with the premise that schools, especially for elementary and middle school-aged kids should even try. Schools should stick to the basics like reading, writing, and math..not to mention history, geography and sciences...get kids to master those subjects first.

If they can master those basic subjects, everything you need to know about basic finances can be self taught in about a day or two. If they can't master those basic subjects, its not going to matter a bit how financially sophisticated they are....they'll have no finances to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom