It's a Depression... Have Fun with It!

Even if a garden and hen house could save us 50% on groceries (unlikely), we'd save only about $2,800 per year.

Even if a garden and hen house could save us 50% on groceries (unlikely), we'd save only about $2,800 per year.

It might not save you a lot of money, but it could save you from starvation if things get bad enough...;)

We've decided that we're going to grow our "victory" garden a little more agressively (read bigger), raise poultry out at my wife's father's farm (where the garden is), and take up quilting.

Garden ? Check.
Quilting ? I already own 2.
Chicken? Check - my investing style. :LOL:

Canning vs freezing? No contest. As long as the electrons keep flowing in the wires, the freezer wins. ;)

Seriously, though, I understand about the small town life and basics.
I live in East Nowhere NY with real dairy farms right close by. There is exactly 1 traffic light within the nearest 6 miles in my township. I'm trying to remember where the second one is.
Life here can get really boring :rolleyes:, but it certainly does not have the problems of more developed areas.
I am not a native. But I'm still here, so something must be working.

I can't even save that. With the heat of a TX summer, the hit/miss rain, and the fact that the zoning laws state that I can't raise chickens in my backyard...well, I'm pretty much screwed. :rant:

Canning vs freezing? No contest. As long as the electrons keep flowing in the wires, the freezer wins. ;)

Freezing is undoubtedly easier. I remember helping my grandmother can fruits, vegetables and jam. That's a lot of work! I could probably do it again (remember to keep everything sterile!), but I don't have all the equipment for canning (though I am sure I could find that pretty easily). My grandfather had a better way of canning fruits: drop the fruits in a jar and cover with 80-proof alcohol. Eat the fruit for dessert and drink the fruit-flavored schnapps to help the digestion.:LOL:

I can't even save that. With the heat of a TX summer, the hit/miss rain, and the fact that the zoning laws state that I can't raise chickens in my backyard...well, I'm pretty much screwed. :rant:

Well, you could save on A/C bills by dressing in skimpy clothing and lolling about lazily all summer and eating food you didn't raise... might not be as consistent with "old time values" but might be a more enjoyable way to save $200/month.

Well, you could save on A/C bills by dressing in skimpy clothing and lolling about lazily all summer and eating food you didn't raise... might not be as consistent with "old time values" but might be a more enjoyable way to save $200/month.
Throw a couple of mint juleps in me and you may just have something there....oh the vapors! :LOL:

here are grapes that thrive in Florida called Muscadines but no great wines yet. We have a large garden, chickens and goats.We also put two or three deer in the freezer each year and can quite a bit. We use a wood stove for heat(here in NW Florida it can get chilly) and have a solar PV system.We chose this lifestyle before the economic downturn.Being retired we have time to maintain our homestead and enjoy it. We get plenty of physical activity and plenty of rest and sleep and eat healthy food.It's not for everyone but we enjoy this lifestyle.

Hey - load up on the Diesel (cheap!) and head to the Pacific NW if you want really good wine!

Now, how many cases can I fit in my basement?

Audrey

Hey, keep in mind that time marches on, so if you can, enjoy, stop worrying whether your money will run out when you're 90, it's a waste of time.

Only if I weren't able to survive would I give something up, otherwise I'm keeping things normal and perhaps enjoying the possible ability to negotiate lower fees for things as the economy goes into the pits.

Jug

Hey, keep in mind that time marches on, so if you can, enjoy, stop worrying whether your money will run out when you're 90, it's a waste of time.

Only if I weren't able to survive would I give something up, otherwise I'm keeping things normal and perhaps enjoying the possible ability to negotiate lower fees for things as the economy goes into the pits.

Jug

Hum, easier said than done. Of course if I had a "pension, and about 20 plus years of cash to supplement it" like you, I'd be pretty mellow too... Oh, and I thought that the whole purpose of this board was to learn/discuss/share how not to run out of money when you're 90.:flowers:

Cracks open another cold one and lights up a smoke...

It's time I take a close look at the budget again. But every time I do, I don't really see too much to cut.

Mostly stuff that is fixed costs, and I really am not going to affect w/o making big changes (property taxes = move), stuff that I feel I need (insurance), or stuff that I just would not want to do w/o. Much of that is small 'luxuries' anyway - I may be LBYM-style, but I'm not a monk.

IOW, I guess things have not really gotten that bad....... yet.

-ERD50

It might not save you a lot of money, but it could save you from starvation if things get bad enough...;)

Living on an island at least 2400 miles from the closest land mass, I'm occasionally concerned about "starvation". I think I read that the islands have less than a 7 day food supply. In the old days (just pre-state hood, I think) I've heard that the unions would routinely threaten to shut down all shipping which would have (literally) led to starvation at some point. Even within the last year, there was a minor threat of such an "embargo" though it passed quickly. Actually, not too worried about such an event, but a natural disaster or 9/11 style event could be a real problem. Having a 2 ft by 2 1/2 foot garden plot does not give much comfort! I do occasionally hear a pig down in the valley behind the house and I know we're surrounded by ocean but I don't have a pole, gun, or a license or any idea of how to fish or hunt locally. Maybe I'll stock up on rice and tuna - yeeech!

Hello Koolau! Your life is wonderful!
grin.gif

Hum, easier said than done. Of course if I had a "pension, and about 20 plus years of cash to supplement it" like you, I'd be pretty mellow too... Oh, and I thought that the whole purpose of this board was to learn/discuss/share how not to run out of money when you're 90.:flowers:

Yes, you do have a point, but I've been down on my ass so many times but didn't let it bother me, each day I was able to eek out what I needed. If I had to down size, I did.

We all have some sort of safety net, some sort of way of eking it out. We don't know what the future is going to bring, we can all be wiped out, even those with very good cash positions. There is no guaranteed security, and this I have in the back of my mind.

The people who should worry some are those with families to take care of if they are older with kids. Younger ones can cut down and recoup.

It's all relative, there are all kinds on this board, we even have people with several millions of dollars in their mid 50's asking if it's safe to retire, it's all relative.

Jug:flowers:

I am just hoping the raspberry bushes I planted last year survive the winter. See them for $5/qt at farm stands.

I am having a lot of fun during this time....not really aware that there is a recession unless I turn on the tv. People here in central NJ are still shopping and eating out just like before. My standard of living was never that high anyway so it hasn't made much of a difference.

I am just hoping the raspberry bushes I planted last year survive the winter. See them for $5/qt at farm stands.

Raspberries are the one thing that I have stuck with - easy, delicious, expensive in the store (and often moldy in a day or two), and the deer don't bother them. We have a patch along the garage, ~ 20' by 3' deep. A little weeding, maybe some watering, fertilize once a year, trim in the fall - that's it. We get a steady crop for 3-4 weeks. Excellent return on the effort, IMO.

I've tried planting s few fall varieties to extend the season further, but they haven't taken.

-ERD50

The deer have no predators, and no one is allowed to hunt because there are other houses. There were 12 ravenous deer in the yard the other day, in broad daylight, right in front of the house, devouring our front plantings.

You said hunting was not allowed, but what about traps?
They are illegal in many places, but in some states you can get a deer trap permit from your state. Just make sure keep kids and pets out of it.
Another possibility is bow hunting - in many jurisdictions it's not considered a firearm so as long as you are on your property you could do it.
More expensive would be tranquilizer shots - would they also be not allowed where you live?

A few mint juleps should take care of any worries.;)

BUy LOTS of rice....it lasts a long time........:)

Back
Top Bottom