Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Just curious--who here pays attention to gas prices?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking more in line with the fact that everything and everybody moves by train, truck or plane. You pop up fuel to $5 a gallon, your produce, meat and almost everything else you buy goes up progressively to match.

I still have a good recollection of what happened when it went up a buck to $3 last year.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
the efficiencies that we are technologically capable of kicked in
... if these "efficiencies" are not viable without a doubling of gas prices, they are likely "inefficiencies".

Old 02-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
I agree. BTW, for the ones that fill up every couple of months or so.........what do you do for fun? I can't imagine staying home all the time. Maybe you are riding a bicycle or something. Just curious.
I spend weekends with Frank (my date). He likes to do the driving, so even though I don't stay home, I don't drive. We go all sorts of places, have a lot of fun and we definitely do not "stay home all the time". I'm not ER'd yet, so my weekdays are typical workdays and also I prepare for the weekends. I am flown across country for work perhaps a dozen times a year for 3-4 weekdays at a time, so when I am in town I enjoy being at my home.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #44

It's mostly an obsession around here. There is a station near me known for having the best price around. People go out of thier way and wait in long lines for 30 minutes or so to save 2 or 3 cents per gallon. The station 3 blocks away is often only 1 cent more. I think they waste more in time and fuel while idling than they save at 50-75 cents for a fillup.........or maybe 90 cents for an suv. I use a 5% rebate card and get back an avg of $12/ month
Old 02-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
... if these "efficiencies" are not viable without a doubling of gas prices, they are likely "inefficiencies".
d, it is not a matter of viability; it is a matter of polictical will and the breaking of a monopoly. The inefficiency we have stangling us and holding us back right now is the stranglehold of the energy and automotive company billions controlling our governement and holding back the inherent power of true capitalism. Shift the petroleum subsidies to the genius, drive and ingenuity of American entrepeneurs and we will be on our way.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lousy rotten blood sucking SOB's.

Bought gas yesterday for my truck, $2.24/gal. Passed the same station on the way home this evening, still $2.24. Went back two hours later to get gas for the snowblower, it was $2.39. Seems to have been a little price increase just before a big snow storm.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

An anecdote:
Back in the '60s one day when it was -20F, my father filled up the tank and drove home a few miles and put his truck into the garage/basement where it was about 60F;
tank overflowed and there was strong smell of gas for a while.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
I agree. BTW, for the ones that fill up every couple of months or so.........what do you do for fun? I can't imagine staying home all the time. Maybe you are riding a bicycle or something. Just curious.
Well, maybe one day I'll be able to say "I plug my Prius into the grid after powering it from our 10 kilowatt array, and I'm worried that the gas went bad in the tank over the last six months".

I drive to the beach a couple times a week (14 miles each way) and surf my butt off. We walk for an hour most evenings. Yardwork. Home improvement. The circle-island tour to Lowe's, a friend's house, an ATM, a gas station, and Thai Kitchen for lunch. Then there's post-lunch activities, afternoon naps, TV, reading, the Internet, and various spreadsheet/document projects.

I guess we'd have to refer back to the "hermit" thread.

I used to ride 2000-3000 miles/year in my working days, but now between surfing & tae kwon do there's nothing left over.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I've averaged around 913 mi/mo the last seven years, so, while I definitely pay attention to gas prices, they aren't a budget killer........yet.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #50

Last night the two stations adjacent to the highway exit/enter ramps were both at $2.15. This morning the one station that was open at the ungodly hour I leave for work was up to $2.19 and I suspect the other will be close to that when I come home.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Ever notice the stations with the digital price signs that alter the price/gallon during particular times of day?

Some up the price during commute hours and other times when demand is high.

Pulled into a costco once, picked up the pump and as I went to press the button to start it, the price went up a few pennies. Looked at my watch...5:00pm
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #52

I've seen the employees at these two stations change the price twice in a day.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #53

I only fill up once a month and I drive a Toyota Camry. I usually buy my gas at Sam's club which is only a few mines from my house. I occasionally buy at Arco if the price is really good and I'm low on gas. The Arcos around here charge a .45 fee to use the ATM for payment.

Mostly I buy at Sam's for convenience.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Ever notice the stations with the digital price signs that alter the price/gallon during particular times of day?
Some up the price during commute hours and other times when demand is high.
Pulled into a costco once, picked up the pump and as I went to press the button to start it, the price went up a few pennies. Looked at my watch...5:00pm
I remember Coke had a similar pricing plan for a "smart" vending machine-- it'd raise the price of a can on extremely hot days or drop the price of a flavor/size that wasn't selling well.

People were outraged at the prospect of price manipulation. But I guess if no one "knows" how much a gallon of gas is supposed to cost then no one cares.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf
I would like to see gas go to 5 dollars a gallon
why leave things in the hands of others when you can control this? move to Kotzebue, Alaska where gas is $5.30/gallon and be happy
Old 02-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

The adjusting coke machines are here in the Excramento area. I've seen a couple at some outdoor walking malls.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #57

I bought a new car that GM was giving away last March and I've put 4500 miles on it to date. I use my motorcycles when the weather is good (8 months) and get 40+ MPG when I tame my right hand.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I own a 2001 toyota camry. But I drive a 2003 Bianchi Pista. I fill up the toyota about once every month and a half.

I used to pay attention to gas prices (part of the reason I movied to a Bianchi) but my Pista gets way better mileage- and it runs on oatmeal and peanut butter!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #59

Interesting how many LBYM folks aren't too concerned with gas prices. Perhaps we each have different ways of expressing how we pay attention.

I have zero problem with the gas stations charging what they will. It's a very liquid market ...
Old 02-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked at a gas station this past summer. It sucked but it was the only job I could find since my family had just moved to the area and I didn't have any "connections". Anyways, we only changed our prices to match the Speedway and Swifty stations down the street. I always though it was funny when no one would buy gas at say 2.80, but drop it down to 2.75 and everyone needed to buy gas at that point in order to save fifty cents.

A little side story to the type of coworker you get when working at a gas station:
The girl that trained me, Lindsay, was 20yo college drop-out. She never understood why I would want to spend 4yrs of my life going to school instead of working. One day when we were working together, I overheard her talking to an IHOP waitress about how going to school was a waste of time of money. She continued ranting about school until she said,
"My mom never went to school and she makes $8/hr at the bakery."