Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We had a major downsizing when we moved in together from two estates.
Then we downsized again when we started home swaps.
Finally we downsized to make room for our tenants (sublessees) when we went south for 6 months.

Of course, now we have 2 places to manage and so it takes discipline. In Mexico, we give stuff away to the staff. Up north, we move much on craigslist and used clothing stores.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
What is the additional floor/shelf/storage space worth? What about the time freed up from not having to search thru so much when you want something?
Last year, which was my first retirement year, I cleared out the attic and the basement. This week I am having the house insulated. I did not have this project in mind last year but:

- They need the attic empty: check

- They need the house's original paint to repaint the holes they drill for blowing in the insulation. How convenient that when I cleaned the basement I got rid of all the dried up cans and put the rest in one spot. House paint? No problem. Right here.

Per original thread topic, losing money. I did lose about $2000 on heirloom diamonds taken out of the safety deposit box and consigned with an auction house. At the time, I figured it was nuts to keep paying $60 annually to keep things I was never going to use. Lets see - $2000 divided by 60.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No. life is too short to spend a lot of time trying to get the best price for things you want to get rid of.
Exactly!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Been at this for a while now. Still struggling to clear stuff out. But one item to think of with regards to the OP's post. What is the additional floor/shelf/storage space worth? What about the time freed up from not having to search thru so much when you want something? Not having to clean odds and ends on shelves? Such things are usually worth the small loss of net worth for something you weren't using anyway.
My husband and I are going to add more storage space in the garage for this. Something to do in retirement. But my kids don't want her books to be thrown out. Not yet anyway.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:44 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Unfortunately, I'm still not CRT-free. My first HD 1080x1920 TV was a CRT and I made the mistake of looking on eBay for that one too. Well, apparently there are gamers that still use these monstrosities. If it doesn't find a home, it will be sad to see it join the pile at the dump, even though it works perfectly.
Came back here to report that the 34" Sony SOLD on eBay, and a guy came and picked it up!

So not only am I $150 richer, I also know that it's getting a longer life and staying out of the dump.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #126
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm about to declutter because I think I'll be moving. About fifteen years ago I did something similar and went overboard. I ended up having to buy stuff to replace what I had given away. Since it cost me money and I actually really liked the stuff I gave away, I don't want to repeat that. But the last time I moved I didn't have much time and just moved almost everything. I still have some boxes that I haven't opened since I moved. I'm going to try for a happy medium this time.

For the last year I've had a rule; I don't allow myself to buy a new book unless I give one away. At some point, soon, though, I'll have to give away boxes of books. Books and things that have some kind of personal meaning are the two things I have the hardest time letting go.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #127

NomDeER, I predict you'll have an opening to rid yourself of paper books. It might take a few years, or more than a few, depending on your age. First, your close-up vision needs to deteriorate. Then you need to start reading on a Kindle with large font. Then you need to grab one of your old paper favorites and start reading it. Boom!

You'll be sad to learn that those treasured hard-covers only get you $0.75 on half.com. They cost the buyer $4.75 because shipping is like 85% of the cost.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
NomDeER, I predict you'll have an opening to rid yourself of paper books. It might take a few years, or more than a few, depending on your age. First, your close-up vision needs to deteriorate. Then you need to start reading on a Kindle with large font. Then you need to grab one of your old paper favorites and start reading it. Boom!

You'll be sad to learn that those treasured hard-covers only get you $0.75 on half.com. They cost the buyer $4.75 because shipping is like 85% of the cost.
If you live near a used book store, you can always take your books there, and get paid for them, likley more than online because you provide the shipping by your vehicle.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #129
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
If you live near a used book store, you can always take your books there, and get paid for them, likley more than online because you provide the shipping by your vehicle.

I donate my books to the public library. Feels good to do it and it's a tax deduction.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:00 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I wish I had that luck. I brought a few samples of my hardback and soft cover books, all in good to excellent condition, to a few local used book stores and they had zero interest. I can't remember if I asked if they would take them for free, but they said they would pay me nothing for any of them. I force myself to donate a bag full once in a while to the library but I don't bother with the tax deduction, since I have to donate over $6,XXX per year and then only get a 10% tax break after that. Is there a certain category of books that book stores want?
Old 05-29-2017, 07:54 AM   #131

We used an online service that buys books to see what they would pay for books, and basically have found nothing is valued much, most are worth 50 cents for a book that originally cost $100.

One could always try to list it on Ebay (is it free to list stuff that does not sell ?) and have the buyer pay shipping.
We have not tried this as it seems to be a bunch of work to sell something that probably will sell cheap or not at all.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:04 AM   #132

I just donate, I don't even claim the little amount. Because this is deduction, not a huge amount to get back. I'm not sure it's worth my time to get the correct pricing for tax purpose.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #133

When we downsized we either gave away everything to friends or relatives or gave it to worthwhile organizations.

The only items we sold were items we could not, or did not want to give away that would cost us money to get hauled away. Got $80 for very old upright freezer that we did not want AND got is hauled away for us. Same with a few other items.

We have done this before. It is surprising how many inquiries you get on an item with a nominal price that one that is advertised for free. Go figure.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #134
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

"Losing Money When Decluttering?"

No, the money was lost when you cluttered.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #135

Heh, heh, I had some chemistry books I finally dumped a couple of years ago. There were only four elements at the time these were published (Air, Earth, Fire and Water). But seriously, I think they had only modeled the orbitals of the first 8 elements. Not my bailiwick, but I understand they can now model the orbital structure of molecules so...

Anyway, I try to avoid assuming any "stuff" I own has value. That way I'm never disappointed. We did do a big sale of stuff before our big move. Some stuff was surprisingly valuable. Most went for very little. The good news: We were rid of it. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
...the money was lost when you cluttered.
+1
Old 05-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

I just love decluttering. Makes us so happy to get rid of crap. Might never move but want to be more ready should the day ever come.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #138
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm glad I'm not alone having trouble donating the stuff that we paid a lot of $ for way back when. Technology and trends devalue everything. Remember beanie babies? Thank goodness I didn't invest heavily in that silly frenzy. But yes, it's hard to figure out what to spend the time to try to sell on Ebay or just donate. I did sell a typewriter recently on Ebay for $15 plus $30 shipping. It was hardly used but purchased in 1986. I was thankful to get something for it. Now that I'm over 60, I want to get rid of stuff, not collect stuff. Our kids (both in their late 20's) live 9 hours away in a high cost area (small quarters) and don't own homes yet so we can't even give stuff to them. They are also tending to become minimalist type millennials.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelfreek View Post
...it's hard to figure out what to spend the time to try to sell on Ebay or just donate.
Ebay is good for high dollar density objects (many dollars per pound), and "name brand" things, so your customers know exactly what they're getting. And it's not worth selling anything for less than 10 bucks or so, I'd say.

Then for the heavy/large items that don't ship well, have a more or less defined price range, and can be judged from a picture, Craig's List works.

For the rest, if you can trouble yourself with a garage sale, that's about your only other option except for donating. I did my last garage sale ever a few years ago (just wasn't worth the trouble). I set-up all the stuff for sale the day before and made a video. Then I typed everything (very roughly) into "It's Deductible" software, which gave me a "thrift store" price. If anybody was only offering 30% of thrift store, I'd say "I can get more by donating it and writing it off on my taxes" (I was W2 at the time, so the write-off worked).

Every item that didn't sell at the garage sale got donated and I took the write off for it. A lot of work, but we got rid of a ton of stuff.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:21 AM   #140
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
When we downsized we either gave away everything to friends or relatives or gave it to worthwhile organizations.

The only items we sold were items we could not, or did not want to give away that would cost us money to get hauled away. Got $80 for very old upright freezer that we did not want AND got is hauled away for us. Same with a few other items.

We have done this before. It is surprising how many inquiries you get on an item with a nominal price that one that is advertised for free. Go figure.
We always put a nominal price on CL items and expect offers for half that. Free is always interpreted as junk.