Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Winning!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm actually up today. Starting to like the new guy.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #63

I hope we have a bunch of these bloody days... +0.40% so far.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 11-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I anticipated post-election craziness in the markets. Looks to me like today is a yawner. After Monday's positive movement (S&P up 45) I decided to take the balance of my RMD on Tuesday (another up day) from my TSM IRA. It was not a bad move.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #65

Perhaps interest rates are finally past their 30-year low.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Biotech seems to be the place to be. IBB up 3%
IBB up 7.7% as I write this. I have another one that's up 28%! Won't tell what it is, lest people call me a shill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I'm actually up today. Starting to like the new guy.
Maybe all politicians are the same: all talk, and relatively harmless. I never understand why people are so emotional about any single person in a democracy. There's check and balance in place.

Here in the US, I would hate to see a single person being able to lift or depress the nation a lot, because it means the rest of the citizenry is powerless. It is only if we allow it to be.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought ITA - aerospace and defense at the open.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #68

This is why I do not even try to market time. All indications were that the market would tank, but here we are now up 225 Dow points. I did not take any action at all, but it's nice to be up.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I just sold an EM country-specific ETF. Been meaning to sell it for a while now, and should have done it earlier.

This had nothing to do with the US election, but this country is digging itself into trouble.

Other than that, no buying nor selling.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
IBB up 7.7% as I write this. I have another one that's up 28%! Won't tell what it is, lest people call me a shill.

Maybe all politicians are the same: all talk, and relatively harmless. I never understand why people are so emotional about any single person in a democracy. There's check and balance in place.

Here in the US, I would hate to see a single person being able to lift or depress the nation a lot, because it means the rest of the citizenry is powerless. It is only if we allow it to be.
Agree. Politicians are over rated and usually over feared.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A comforting idea, but history says it is not true. The most certain thing in life is that change will be underestimated.

The US is like other places made up of people, and therefor US may be lucky, but even familiarity with our recent past suggests that we have similar vulnerabilities based on the reaity that we are humans.

Remember the idiotic learned writings after the USSR implosion about "the end of history"?

Didn't end did it?

Ha
Old 11-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #72

Well the new guy is promising to do some of the same things and then some as the guy who was in charge in 2008.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Agree. Politicians are over rated and usually over feared.
... and overloved.

Dictators are indeed very scary. But if we allow that to happen, then it is not a democracy that we have and the problem is a lot deeper, and we would need to do something about that. Else, if not one dictator then another dictator would stumble upon the scene.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
A comforting idea, but history says it is not true. The most certain thing in life is that change will be underestimated.

The US is like other places made up of people, and therefor US may be lucky, but even familiarity with our recent past suggests that we have similar vulnerabilities based on the reaity that we are humans.

Remember the idiotic writings after the USSR implosion about "the end of history"?

Didn't end did it?

Ha

Ha
The problem then runs a lot deeper. We may be obsessed with the manifestation, instead of trying to understand the root cause.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #75
gone traveling

Quote:
... and overloved.

Dictators are indeed very scary. But if we allow that to happen, then it is not a democracy that we have and the problem is a lot deeper, and we would need to do something about that. Else, if not one dictator then another dictator would stumble upon the scene.
Dictator??

Where's Porky.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

What? Where? Who? OMG!

I just said we still have a democracy. Do we have a president-for-life now? What changed since the last time I looked?
Old 11-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #77

I set up some buy orders before I went to work this morning after seeing what was going on in the Asia markets. After seeing the Dow futures, I thought for sure the market would tank...not! Came home to no new acquisitions but a hefty boost to my stock account. Don't you love the markets!
Old 11-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Made a killing in biotech today.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Glad to see you still hanging around, Fired.

Quote:
IBB up 7.7% as I write this. I have another one that's up 28%! Won't tell what it is, lest people call me a shill...
I did not make a killing. Total portfolio not setting a new high or anything, but I take what I can.

My biotech holdings are up from 6.37% (GILD) to 9.09% for IBB, to 18% and 33% (the nameless ones).

That's not surprising. What is more interesting is something else that also goes up.

Energy sector is just so so, but how about industrial metal and mining companies and Caterpillar (8+%)?

Tech stocks are flat or down. Perhaps it's because they have been doing well relative to market, and now suffer from sector rotation.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Giddy over equities, bonds not so much, but I have to remind myself that bonds are for ballast.