May Be a Bloody Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
The great buying opportunity is spitting and sputtering at the open. Looks like the market has adjusted to the idea of a Trump presidency.

It looks like the markets hardly moved after the first 30 minutes, except for my biotech ETFs which are up significantly.

It looks like the markets hardly moved after the first 30 minutes, except for my biotech ETFs which are up significantly.

I sold off 2000 Gilead at $79.10 which I had bought for $73 to $75. A very nice little post election cha-ching. Make Fermion Rich Again!

The market is surprisingly resilient.

I guess after Brexit, people have learned not to sell in a panic, plus there are so many chomping at the bit getting ready to buy. So, the market has confounded us again.

Or am I speaking too soon? The day is still young...

metals (not exchange plans) are up, interest rates are up, heck the 10 year is almost at 2% - when was the last time it was over 2%?

My portfolio is up. So much for a buying opportunity. Maybe it's time to go for a nice long ride up?

Market is up nicely as I write this. So much for polls and predicting the future.

As the saying goes, "Nobody knows anything."

Doesn't prevent us from guessing though!

Things calmed down. Still almost two months of trading days until the end of 2016.

I anticipated post-election craziness in the markets. Looks to me like today is a yawner. After Monday's positive movement (S&P up 45) I decided to take the balance of my RMD on Tuesday (another up day) from my TSM IRA. It was not a bad move.

Perhaps interest rates are finally past their 30-year low.

Biotech seems to be the place to be. IBB up 3%
IBB up 7.7% as I write this. I have another one that's up 28%! Won't tell what it is, lest people call me a shill.

I'm actually up today. Starting to like the new guy.
Maybe all politicians are the same: all talk, and relatively harmless. I never understand why people are so emotional about any single person in a democracy. :) There's check and balance in place.

Here in the US, I would hate to see a single person being able to lift or depress the nation a lot, because it means the rest of the citizenry is powerless. It is only if we allow it to be.

Last edited:
This is why I do not even try to market time. All indications were that the market would tank, but here we are now up 225 Dow points. I did not take any action at all, but it's nice to be up.

I just sold an EM country-specific ETF. Been meaning to sell it for a while now, and should have done it earlier.

This had nothing to do with the US election, but this country is digging itself into trouble.

Other than that, no buying nor selling.

IBB up 7.7% as I write this. I have another one that's up 28%! Won't tell what it is, lest people call me a shill.

Maybe all politicians are the same: all talk, and relatively harmless. I never understand why people are so emotional about any single person in a democracy. :) There's check and balance in place.

Here in the US, I would hate to see a single person being able to lift or depress the nation a lot, because it means the rest of the citizenry is powerless. It is only if we allow it to be.

Agree. Politicians are over rated and usually over feared.

A comforting idea, but history says it is not true. The most certain thing in life is that change will be underestimated.

The US is like other places made up of people, and therefor US may be lucky, but even familiarity with our recent past suggests that we have similar vulnerabilities based on the reaity that we are humans.

Remember the idiotic learned writings after the USSR implosion about "the end of history"?

Didn't end did it?

Ha

Last edited:
Well the new guy is promising to do some of the same things and then some as the guy who was in charge in 2008.

Agree. Politicians are over rated and usually over feared.
... and overloved.

Dictators are indeed very scary. But if we allow that to happen, then it is not a democracy that we have and the problem is a lot deeper, and we would need to do something about that. Else, if not one dictator then another dictator would stumble upon the scene.

A comforting idea, but history says it is not true. The most certain thing in life is that change will be underestimated.

The US is like other places made up of people, and therefor US may be lucky, but even familiarity with our recent past suggests that we have similar vulnerabilities based on the reaity that we are humans.

Remember the idiotic writings after the USSR implosion about "the end of history"?

Didn't end did it?

Ha

Ha
The problem then runs a lot deeper. We may be obsessed with the manifestation, instead of trying to understand the root cause.

... and overloved.

Dictators are indeed very scary. But if we allow that to happen, then it is not a democracy that we have and the problem is a lot deeper, and we would need to do something about that. Else, if not one dictator then another dictator would stumble upon the scene.

Dictator??

Where's Porky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom