May Be a Bloody Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buffet says if the market is on sale, buy. If it drops even more, buy. And if it drops again, buy.
And if you do not have money left, buy on margin?

Mortgage your house, get a Heloc? :)

That's whats holding me up. How much do I put in now? And how much do I keep available for future opportunity?

Hmmm - tax loss harvesting? At least on the funds with the larger projected cap gains.

Did the markets recover fully after Brexit?

Pound Sterling hasn't. Led to higher priced imports which will hit pocketbooks.

We may have fiscal, tax and regulatory policies like those before the Financial Crisis. Reason to be bullish?

I met a Brit a few days ago. He encouraged me and others to visit as it was really cheap right now. It's possible the markets are likely to be down for a couple of years, then come back. That article was an interesting read. We've had a long bull market.

Biotech seems to be the place to be. IBB up 3%

Yea it may be time to buy but not VTI :) since this may have long term negative consequences on US economy.

More like VXUS.

Hmmm - tax loss harvesting? At least on the funds with the larger projected cap gains.
Might not be a bad time for it.

I have about $20K in an inherited IRA in a trust after my mom's passing last month. I was thinking I would have to liquidate the IRA and pay a lot of taxes, cut a bunch of K-1 forms and such, but it looks like between the sale of the house (after step up in basis there will be a loss equal to the cost of sale) and perhaps the other Vanguard account still in trust that I haven't been able to liquidate yet, I may have enough capital losses to offset the $20K in income from liquidating the IRA and distributing it to beneficiaries. At least that would mean no income on the K-1 forms from the trust. I might have to do it $3K at a time, though.

Always a silver lining somewhere. :)

Last edited:
I met a Brit a few days ago. He encouraged me and others to visit as it was really cheap right now.

Only in terms of the dollar being very strong against the pound right now. London has never been "cheap" and never will be.

This is crossing my mind too but just checking now, the worst lot that I have in a taxable account has a 7% gain and most others are higher. Not much cash to put in play either.

Yea it may be time to buy but not VTI :) since this may have long term negative consequences on US economy.

More like VXUS.

Sold my VTI position Monday afternoon, so maybe a good buy for me today.

Looks like the futures are settling down to a bit over -1%.

That's whats holding me up. How much do I put in now? And how much do I keep available for future opportunity?

I have 41% in cash. What do I buy, and when do I buy? A bit here and there, and a bit now and then.

Even if people do not have cash, well, they've got something other than their house to sell to raise cash, like bonds, right?

Looking to do a Roth conversion today!

Interesting idea... not sure what the benefit of converting today vs yesterday would be other than it transfers a smidgen more percentage wise from tax-deferred to taxable (assuming an eventual rebound). Am I missing something?

I think my cash percentage is about to self-adjust... But sticking to my rebalance bands, as always.

Interesting idea... not sure what the benefit of converting today vs yesterday would be other than it transfers a smidgen more percentage wise from tax-deferred to taxable (assuming an eventual rebound). Am I missing something?

Doing a conversion today would be based on sharply lower stock prices. So converting 100 shares today would likely incur a smaller tax hit than converting 100 shares yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom