New dog

gayl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well I inherited a dog from my grandson because he can no longer have Coda (13months) in his apartment. I had him neutered simply because I think there's far too many dogs running around. Not dogs that people want but there's over crowding at the shelters. And in that this is a mutt and won't be bred there's no reason for him to reproduce. So that happened on Monday. He stopped eating yesterday. I can encourage him to eat if I give him a meatball. He then eats his own food. But I'm a little concerned because he's gone from 14.8 pounds to 13 pounds. I removed the e collar as I thought that might be it. He perked up & he's willing to play, but he still not intrested in eating more than a bite or 2 of food. What do you add to your dog's food to keep him interested in it? When do I worry?

You're a good person for taking him. He might be missing his old home - they really are creatures of habit. Try adding beef broth to his food. Or some canned food, or cook a bunch of cheap hamburger and throw some on top of his food. They love cooked chicken (sans bones) too. He'll come around and realize how lucky he is.

You “took” him from his owner and had him neutered and you wonder why he’s a little down? He’ll be fine. It will take a little time, but a dog will eat. No worries.

There's always bacon

We add a dollop of yogurt and some canned green beans to our dogs' kibble.

I was surprised how much they like the beans. But, as I observed in another thread, there's no telling what dogs will tuck into that you wouldn't expect them to consider appetizing.

A spoonful of melted, unsalted butter on our old gal’s dry food does the trick when she’s feeling punky.

My Rottweiler is very overweight at 131 lbs. I sure wish she'd eat a little less. She takes up a whole couch when she sleeps, and she sleeps anywhere she wishes.

It could be something, it could be nothing.

I have a very small dog and sometimes she’ll not eat for 2 days and then we have to ”prime the pump” (as we call it) by putting some chicken or beef broth over her dry dog food.

I just saw he was neutered 2 days ago? It could be lingering effects of the anesthesia but I’d call the vet and ask him if he’s still not eating tomorrow. Was eating fine before the neutering?

You “took” him from his owner and had him neutered and you wonder why he’s a little down? He’ll be fine. It will take a little time, but a dog will eat. No worries.

I agree. Young dog, new home and new people cut my balls off.

And I'm supposed to be happy?

He'll get over it.

Thanks everyone... he's so little. Will try suggestions over his food. Grandsons boyfriend couldn't keep him in Boston anymore. He needed to move to a cheaper place that didn't permit dogs. (Law school's expensive) So GS went there, pick him up, and flew back to California. But then his landlord said it was a non pet apartment. So I got him back after having him last summer.

But his perspective: After tricking him to get into the car for the dog park 3 times last week I tricked him into the car and he was neutered. Then I stuck the stupid collar on him and that made it harder for him to do everything. Then I tell him to leave the sutures alone and he doesn't even get to go for his walks or play ball. I'm a meanie

Last edited:
We had the exact same situation when we adopted a rescue dog, who only weighed 11 pounds. He was too nervous to eat the first few days he was with us, but as he got more comfortable with us his appetite did come back. It’s a big adjustment for a dog to get used to a new home, and it’s not uncommon for them to act lethargic or depressed while they are adjusting.

Please call the Vet and just run it by them. May be nothing but dogs can dehydrate quickly if not eating. Hope he improves quickly!

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD

I would definitely check with the vet. While he may start eating on his own, it could have a more serious cause. For example renal failure causes lack of appetite.

Our dogs have always liked some fresh vegetables in their food. Bits of carrot, lettuce, peas, or green beans.

I would NOT entice the dog with special food. The dog will eat.

As soon as he's cleared for regular exercise by the vet, start walking him. Read Cesar Milan's book, and watch some Dog Whisperer videos. The best way to establish the proper dog-human relationship is by walking. Dogs love to walk with their humans. It balances them emotionally, psychologically, and gets them fit, and believe me, the dog will eat.

When you walk the dog, remember, you are walking the dog, not the other way around.

Good luck...enjoy your new dog! Dogs are great.

Have you tried having a nice talk with him?

Dogs are people too ya' know....

:)

He has separation anxiety. Our dog does it all the time when we board him. The boarding place told us they use baby food to add to his dry food to “prime the pump”. Works every time. I am told dogs can take up to 6 months to adjust to a new setting. Be patient, but maybe buy some baby food to stir into their food.

Kill two birds with one stone, call the vet. They have prescription food for dogs who are having problems. We had a Maltese who got into rat poison and afterwards he had a hard time eating.

Bless you for taking in your GS dog and getting him neutered! What a great Grandma you are.
I would check in with the vet also. We have recently had problems with our senior dog eating. I went to a local petco and the salesperson pointed me to "Instinct" brand raw boost mixers--little freeze dried nibs. I crunch up 3-4 on top of his food and he gobbles it down.
Of course, any human food would do the same for him!

Small dogs dehydrate fast so I would call the vet.

I've had dogs my whole life. They are remarkably resilient. They need love and attention. My dogs have always been over 60 lbs. Friends of ours, over the years, had dogs where they'd leave food out all day. When the dog is ready to eat, he/she eats. Yours has had some trauma and it's always good to get a vets opinion.

I have so many dog experiences but every dog is unique. Your little guy might be confused, might be mourning the loss of his first owner. He's so young.

Small dogs are very different than large dogs. It can be dangerous to wait.

I think I need a new vet. He says to put him in a crate for the next week so that the sutures heal and eventually he'll eat. I don't think it's fair to put him in jail. It's not his fault.

Last night the boys band apparently crashed in my livingroom. there was a plate of dried up pasta and one meatball in the fridge. So heated up the meatball and put it on Coda's food. He not only ate the meatball but also a cup of kibble and then had a cup of water. So I think what I need to do is make meatballs. Apparently he liked it. If thats what it takes to get him to eat, even though it may be setting up a lifetime pattern of him having something every night, it's what I'm going to deal with.

The crate can be a good idea. Our one dog often goes to her crate for a nap. If the dog was crated before, often for housebreaking, and is comfortable it's a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom