Poll:Is your ZIP in the Super ZIP's?

From your ZIP code and the Washington Post link, what is your rank?

• 90 to 100

Votes: 76 36.0%
  • 80 to 89

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • 70 to 79

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • 60 to 69

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • 50 to 59

Votes: 18 8.5%
  • 40 to 49

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • 30 to 39

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • 20 to 29

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • 10 to 19

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • 1 to 9

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The Washington Post has a map where you can input your ZIP code and find out what percentile your ZIP ranks for income and college education. The link to the application is here: Washington: A world apart | The Washington Post

To do the poll just use the Post application in the link and find your rank.

Last edited:
87. That's why I have to drive to a poorer town to shop.

64 on the poor side of Stepfordville, but 95 a few miles away...

Hometown: 10...

Last edited:
DS is higher then us at 89 even though he lives in a very modest apartment in San Diego and we live a nice section of town in a large house. So I guess ZIP isn't everything.

Top 100, income more than others but college graduates are lower. I am amazed at the income level. We are pulling it way down but we helped with the college graduates. Oh wait. They are ranking percentage wise not numerically. Duh. 99. No thanks to us.

Last edited:
Oh DEAR!:blush:
Have gone from 60540 to a 43 rating.

But... that works out perfectly for us. We live 76 miles from our previous home... from a town with an average income of $106,000... to one that has an average income of $51,000... More in keeping with a social and economic structure where we are comfortable, and perhaps 10 years behind the front edge of a society that is beyond our aging needs.

Interesting. Our current home is at 58. The property we sold (that we decided not to build on) was at 96. We're happy with the choice we made. We did save over $100k by choosing to buy this house versus build on the other property, FWIW.

36 in Appalachia. Not surprising, and not bothersome.

97 (San Francisco). Expected, though I would have guessed a higher median household income. More surprising is the fact that our retirement location in the deep south scores in the 90s as well.

Last edited:
90. In the Denver foothills. Where I was looking at about retiring in New Mexico is 26. Where DW was looking in NM is an 89. And they are adjacent zip codes. Hmmm?

Oh, another thing. In the area where we live now which is 58 this is a semi-rural area. The zip code covers a huge area. It says the median income is $68600. First, the area varies widely. We live in a gated subdivision where I would highly expect the median income to be closer to or higher than the $120k median income in the old zip code. We own one of the less expensive houses and, even so, couldn't have qualified for a mortgage at that type of income. I would expect the demographics of our subdivision and the nearby subdivisions to be much closer to the 96 zip code at the property we sold.

Second, I believe that a higher proportion of people in this area are retired compared to our old area so I'm not sure that median income necessarily means that much (ie think of all the people on this board with substantial assets who manage not have much income each year).

43, small town Wisconsin. Low crime AND low cost of living. It would be a great place to live if the winters weren't soooo brutal.

What is a good number for a FIRE location?

I live in an 83 but my house is really in an community that's part of the 95 next to us. The zip codes are not layed out by community. It's how the Post Office set it up several decades ago.

What is a good number for a FIRE location?
Good question. One doesn't really care about income when FIRE'd.

Our location is very scenic, good restaurants, good services and has lots of access to metro areas. But the number isn't all that high -- 75. Things are spotty as there are plenty of apartments in the area right next to fancy homes and nice mid-income homes. I'd guess the apartments people don't have the incomes of the fancy house people. Not to say they aren't good people and happy in life.

A couple of the towns we lived in growing up are in 50th and lower percentiles. Our location today evolved into its higher percentile in the time we have lived here. It looks like the bigger the zip code, the lower the percentile. Parts of other zip codes near us would rank much higher if they were split off.

Mine was 26, I live 4 miles away from 90. It's amazing how different areas that are so close can be.

We are in an urban 95 but the median house size probably compares to a suburban 50.

Ugh. 95

Love the safety.

Love the schools.

Love the stable traditional family units. (Ironically, that is a common trait in many super-zips, but i'm sure it's just a coincidence)

Hate the NorthFaceBMWAcuraCoachLuisVutton snobbery but decided i'm willing to pay that price in return for the other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom