Join Early Retirement Today

post or pre tax first ?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

post or pre tax first ?

Retiring next week. Should withdrawals be made first from a post tax account (i.e. Roth IRA) until its at zero and then go to pre-tax withdrawals (conventional IRA) ?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swodo View Post
Retiring next week. Should withdrawals be made first from a post tax account (i.e. Roth IRA) until its at zero and then go to pre-tax withdrawals (conventional IRA) ?
This depends on your circumstances, but I would lay off the Roth until you are forced to raid it.

Walkinwood posted an article about this topic today.

Aside from leaving the Roth undisturbed, you have pre-tax funds, taxable accounts, and (eventually) social security. IMO there is a lot of bad advice around on these topics. Factors are married or not, amount in various accounts, cash needs and other income, and SS payments at various ages.

The article cited suggests withdrawing pretax funds first (IRA, 401K, etc.)provided you have reached age 59 1/2, putting off SS until age 70 (especially if you are married or female, and leaving post tax funds and Roths alone.

If you are below 59 1/2, there are various fancy withdrawal ideas, I think one called 72T. These are discussed from time to time around here

Old 11-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swodo View Post
As haha suggests, take a look at this thread and artlicle on withdrawal strategies

Tax consideration for taxable, IRA & SS revenue streams
Old 11-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
IMO there is a lot of bad advice around on these topics. Factors are married or not, amount in various accounts, cash needs and other income, and SS payments at various ages.
I agree with Ha's statement, there is a lot of bad advice on this topic, and especially the very simplistic advice that has been gospel for years is "leave you pre-tax money to grow as long as possible." That seems dead wrong because it's the only account that has forced withdrawal rules. If you grow it till you are 70.5 you will suddenly be forced to take a potentially large income that will be taxed as ordinary income. But, even the article that is linked has some flawed logic, at least to my way of thinking! It really seems to be a topic that has no "one size fits all" answer.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The linked article is a decent start. Your answer depends heavily on your specific circumstances, and taxes are the main driver. You generally want to minimize taxes over your retirement. That probably leads to using the regular IRA to fill up your lowest tax bracket and the Roth to meet any additional income requirements. That way you are paying the lowest taxes possible on your IRA. The article describes how Social Security taxation modifies that simple case. You may also be able to convert some of the IRA to a Roth during early retirement if you can live off non-retirement accounts without generating taxable income. Find all the ideas you can and see if they apply to your case.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

What Animorph said. This calculator which has been referenced before uses this approach.

Optimal Retirement Calculator and Retirement Decision Support System