Join Early Retirement Today

Question for military Reservists: "Can you earn points after you're retired?"
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Question for military Reservists: "Can you earn points after you're retired?"

I think the answer to this question is "No", but our crack military research team is having a darn hard time coming up with the reference. We probably know the answer, but we haven't been able to prove it.

Here's the question:
When a Reservist is retired awaiting pay (known as "gray area"), can they earn still more retirement points for online courses, or for anything else?

A reader is planning to take the courses anyway, and he's wondering if he can get more points for them.

Another example would be providing military honors for servicemembers & veteran's funerals. Someone might prefer to do only that activity, and it might be important enough to them to do it even if they're retired. So as long as they're doing it anyway, could they get points?

Of course this benefit would require that the Reserve HQ re-open a retirement file and start adding points to it. Earning points might also be a privilege only for those who are willing to risk being mobilized. (And before you point out the Inactive Ready Reserve, I personally know of two IRRs who were mobilized after 9/11.) The bureaucratic inconvenience is the main reason that we experts think the answer is "No."

I've asked several local Reservists (including a Reserve recruiter) and a few gray-area Reservists, and I've e-mailed AUSN.org-- but nobody's heard of anything like this.

Have any of you servicemembers or veterans ever heard of any Reservist who was able to do this? Better still, any idea where we'd look up the service or DoD instruction for it?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

1. www.armyg1.army.mil/rso/docs/ARReserveRetirementGuide.doc
Not quite as good as a DODI, but I'm afraid if he's in the "Retired Reserve", the answer is indeed "no". Page 8.

Some branches do allow grey-area retirees with enough points to teach high school ROTC for a pretty decent salary. One way to sort of get back on the uniformed pay scale after retirement....

R/
LB
leftbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Agreed. Done is done. A transfer to the IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve) would keep point earning cabability but with the that status comes increased chance to be recalled.

Retirees may only do voluntary training after being recalled (page 33):
http://ra.defense.gov/documents/publ...20sep%2005.pdf
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
Agreed. Done is done. A transfer to the IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve) would keep point earning cabability but with the that status comes increased chance to be recalled.

Retirees may only do voluntary training after being recalled (page 33):
http://ra.defense.gov/documents/publ...20sep%2005.pdf
Thanks for this - I've done 27+ years combined active and reserve and never seen it described as clearly as in this document. I will be using it for some of my presentations.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #5

I looked into it a while ago since I have low points due to no active duty time (it was all Guard). I didn't find any way either.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent-- thanks for all the references.

That DoD RA document is like the Rosetta Stone...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 11-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #7

As a retired reservist...I'm leaning hard towards "No". If anybody comes up with a way to make it a "yes", I'd be very interested to learn how! More points is always better... I have 5 years before I start getting paid, and woud LOVE to be able to earn some additional points. However, it wouldn't really make sense. How would it benefit the service for you to take more courses, points or no points. Now that I'm retired, I wish I'd done more extra-curricular stuff to earn points when I was in. I retired with 4000 points.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Now that I'm retired, I wish I'd done more extra-curricular stuff to earn points when I was in. I retired with 4000 points.
When spouse was in the Reserves, we discussed doing more correspondence courses. At the time, though, we were all pretty darn busy with the rest of our lives.

Now if we could get points for reading murder/spy/thriller novels, I'd be into five digits.

I e-mailed the answer (and the references) to the reader who asked the question, and I'll write this up in a week or two.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

As martyb says, there would need to be a benefit to the military for you to continue to receive points while in the grey zone. I can't think of any benefits; my research says no. The only way to get points would be to provide information for correcting your point record, such as Midshipmen cruises (USNA not eligible) not previously credited, etc.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Once a reservist reaches age 60 and begins receiving retired pay, he is no longer in the reserves according to DEERS. You would have the same status as any other retired member.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote