RV Expenses

The Aliners look neat.
I've never seen them before.
Do you have much trouble getting the panels lined up and in place during set up? Seems to me I heard people complain about the trailer having to be almost perfectly leveled on some hard sided pop ups. This was not the Aliner brand though.
Just happens to be a dealer up your way firedreamer. Of course they appear to have lots of other campers to look at.

2008 ALiner Aliner Classic HIGHWALL Folding Pop-Up Campers at Bankston Motor Homes Huntsville Alabama Bankston Motor Homes

I added a link to the factory site in my post above.

Set up is a breeze. They claim 30 seconds, but I think that's optimistic unless you're other job is on the pit crew of an Indy car team. I'd say 3 - 4 mins if we're staying connected to the TV (just stopping for a meal or to catch some sleep). And maybe 10 minutes if we're unhooking from the TV and leveling the Aliner independently.

Aligning the walls is pretty much automatic. The end walls (the ones that are at an angle) are on torsion bars and rise into place with only a little urging once unlatched. You push up the side walls to vertical to attach to the end walls and, so far, everything always goes exactly where it needs to be. Everything is very solid, no wobbling or jiggling involved.

While we intended the Aliner to be used for base camping while paddling and maybe a few short sight seeing excursions, we discovered the owners club and many folks that use them for longer trips. So we're going to try a 2 week trip to New Hampshire in October with some other club members to see how that goes.

It's best to use yer imagination instead of yer teef.....
smiley-sick011.gif

Especially now that this poor retiree doesn't have dental insurance. ;)

Being from the south east I have seen it done that way but not with this hill billy's teef.:D

FD....this may be too small for y'all, but I had to post the link since it said Frugal......:)

If you like the idea of the frugal adventure RV lifestyle that I describe on this site and you’re looking for an RV that best fits the bill to take you to the places I’m suggesting, then I recommend you look for a small motorhome.

A Small Motorhome Is Your Best Choice

FD....this may be too small for y'all, but I had to post the link since it said Frugal......:)

If you like the idea of the frugal adventure RV lifestyle that I describe on this site and you’re looking for an RV that best fits the bill to take you to the places I’m suggesting, then I recommend you look for a small motorhome.

A Small Motorhome Is Your Best Choice

Actually bbbamI, the RV I have been looking at is pretty much an updated version of the one pictured in your link. Not much larger, if at all.

1903.jpg

That is just adorable! :smitten: I wonder if you could rent one and see if it will fit well in your plans....

That is just adorable! :smitten: I wonder if you could rent one and see if it will fit well in your plans....

I would definitely try to rent one if possible. But I am shocked at RV rental rates!

Well Firedreamer, as you can see we've been keeping this thread running.
I think we have placed you in everything from a sleeping bag to a Greyhound bus. :LOL:
Steve

Actually, I have way more experience RVing in Europe than I do in the US. RVing is probably the single best way to explore Europe in my opinion.

FD, can you elaborate? Cost wise, I would think that the high gas prices would put a serious damper into RVing in Europe. I suppose the distances are relatively shorter than in the States.

I'm assuming that European RVers stay on the outskirts of cities? Wouldn't it be difficult to park the RV a good distance away from sights/city centers? Some of the interesting small towns have such small streets that I had trouble getting through with even a sub-compact!

I can understand the benefit to not eating out every single meal, especially when you have kids. However, we just came back from a 3.5 week vacation and really enjoyed trying out different restaurants. In my case I think I would probably eat out the vast majority of the time, especially in culinary destinations such as many European countries.

FD, can you elaborate? Cost wise, I would think that the high gas prices would put a serious damper into RVing in Europe. I suppose the distances are relatively shorter than in the States.

I'm assuming that European RVers stay on the outskirts of cities? Wouldn't it be difficult to park the RV a good distance away from sights/city centers? Some of the interesting small towns have such small streets that I had trouble getting through with even a sub-compact!

I can understand the benefit to not eating out every single meal, especially when you have kids. However, we just came back from a 3.5 week vacation and really enjoyed trying out different restaurants. In my case I think I would probably eat out the vast majority of the time, especially in culinary destinations such as many European countries.

This was a typical summer vacation for my family when I was a kid:

1) Pick a location, usually a campground in a small village with a few amenities such as a supermarket or weekly open-air market, post office, bank, bar/restaurant. This location should be central to the region's main attractions.

2) Once the trailer is set at the campground (travel trailers are more popular in Europe than motor homes), use bicycles or the tow vehicle to explore the area. Usually, we would use the trailer as our base and organize day trips to visit nearby cities or attractions.

3) Once the area has been thoroughly explored, just move the trailer to a new location, rinse and repeat.

It's a fairly cheap way to travel in Europe (I would say it's the middle class' way of vacationing in Europe). Note: Europeans do not eat out nearly as much as Americans do. We would only eat out once or twice a week to enjoy some local specialty.

I suppose the distances are relatively shorter than in the States.

Much.

The entire country of France is nearly identical in area to the state of Texas. Personally, I wouldn't have any trouble at all spending an entire year exploring France. To be charitable, lets just say I'd have a tougher time doing that in Texas.

The European public transportation systems are also generally better than those of the U.S. And there is no reason you can't rent a hotel room for a couple of nights in cities where you want to do that.

Much.

The entire country of France is nearly identical in area to the state of Texas. Personally, I wouldn't have any trouble at all spending an entire year exploring France. To be charitable, lets just say I'd have a tougher time doing that in Texas.

The European public transportation systems are also generally better than those of the U.S. And there is no reason you can't rent a hotel room for a couple of nights in cities where you want to do that.

True. You can drive across France on less than 2 tanks of gas (assuming you are not towing a trailer) and in less than a day. And France is the largest country in the EU!

Thank you. It is a 2008 210 Versatile.

That's a really nice looking vehicle, Ron. I've been looking at that, the PleasureWay and the Sportsmobile. Actually, I've been checking out most all of the class b's.

Lately though, I've been thinking of buying a regular Ford or Chevy van and combining that with hotels. It would be easier to maintain, I wouldn't have to dump the poo and I could park it anywhere.

The food part is important. I really wouldn't want to eat out every meal, so that is a draw back to the regular van idea.

I am just under three years away from retirement so I don't need to decide what to buy right away.

One of my concerns is what are the RV parks like? How do you find them and do you need advance reservations? What are the average rates per night? Do the people who stay there interact a lot with each other?

It might be kind of lonely with just me and my partner traveling and staying in hotels or in the boondogles. RV parks may offer more socialization.

Then again another idea we've had is to rent an apartment or a house for a month or two at a time and travel between destinations.

There are so many choices ....

One of my concerns is what are the RV parks like? How do you find them and do you need advance reservations? What are the average rates per night? Do the people who stay there interact a lot with each other?

It might be kind of lonely with just me and my partner traveling and staying in hotels or in the boondogles. RV parks may offer more socialization.

RV parks are like hotels and motels - they vary from run-down places you don't want to stay to luxurious resorts with amazing amenities. There are all sorts of resources on the net to locate RV parks and provide info. One I particularly like is RV Park Reviews which provides user reviews of thousands of RV parks all over North America. There are many other web resources to help you find parks and almost all parks have websites - like this one: Tallahassee RV Park

As to reservations, it is usually a good idea but not always necessary depending on the park, the season, the location, etc. Rates range from $10 or so in Corps of Engineer parks to $100 in "exclusive" locations such as Disney World parks. The average runs around $30.

You will find as much or as little interaction as you want at these parks, some more than others. The RV crowd is, in general, a social bunch. Also there are many RV organizations you can join that apparently have only one purpose - having a good time. An example is the Texas Boomers organization over on a sister forum, iRV2.

Edit to add: The "dumping the poo" process really isn't a big deal. Truth is you are much less exposed to the sight and smell of human waste when you dump your tanks than when you use the toilet. Systems and equipment have been designed to make this task simple and uneventful.

Oh, and here is one other bit of information to help you decide between a hotel room and your own RV (and your own bed): Bedbugs gaining ground - CNN.com

RV parks are like hotels and motels - they vary from run-down places you don't want to stay to luxurious resorts with amazing amenities. There are all sorts of resources on the net to locate RV parks and provide info. One I particularly like is RV Park Reviews which provides user reviews of thousands of RV parks all over North America. There are many other web resources to help you find parks and almost all parks have websites - like this one: Tallahassee RV Park

As to reservations, it is usually a good idea but not always necessary depending on the park, the season, the location, etc. Rates range from $10 or so in Corps of Engineer parks to $100 in "exclusive" locations such as Disney World parks. The average runs around $30.

You will find as much or as little interaction as you want at these parks, some more than others. The RV crowd is, in general, a social bunch. Also there are many RV organizations you can join that apparently have only one purpose - having a good time. An example is the Texas Boomers organization over on a sister forum, iRV2.

Edit to add: The "dumping the poo" process really isn't a big deal. Truth is you are much less exposed to the sight and smell of human waste when you dump your tanks than when you use the toilet. Systems and equipment have been designed to make this task simple and uneventful.

Oh, and here is one other bit of information to help you decide between a hotel room and your own RV (and your own bed): Bedbugs gaining ground - CNN.com

+1

We've used a combination of RV Park Reviews :: Home and a Trailer Life campground directory to find sites. So far, we haven't had a bad experience in ~90 days of continuous camping.

If you're outgoing people, I don't think you'll have any problem making friends on the road. Many of the private campgrounds run weekly events, which could include a Sunday morning brunch, a Saturday nigh karaoke competition, or really anything in between.

Helen, there are bags of web pages where people describe the conversions they have done on their full size vans. Dig around and you will find all kinds of creative ideas. To get you started, there are a few in here: Cheaprvliving.com

Here's my RV. Once I ER I'll be bicycle touring a lot and the first trip will be across the USA. I can't wait to get going. I have everything I need on the bike, sleeping bag and pad, tent, cooking equipment etc. Fuel consists of donuts, bacon etc and the daily costs above that are minimal. Campsites are free if I just stop at the side of the road or can be $5 to $15 a night. I sometimes stop at motels when I've had a hard day, but for an extended trip I budget $50/day.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 11
Here's my RV. Once I ER I'll be bicycle touring a lot and the first trip will be across the USA. I can't wait to get going. I have everything I need on the bike, sleeping bag and pad, tent, cooking equipment etc. Fuel consists of donuts, bacon etc and the daily costs above that are minimal. Campsites are free if I just stop at the side of the road...
When I was 20, maybe. Now, no way.

I agree with everything... well said.

RV parks are like hotels and motels - they vary from run-down places you don't want to stay to luxurious resorts with amazing amenities. There are all sorts of resources on the net to locate RV parks and provide info

We have found that if the bathrooms/showers are nice the park will be nice. If not, then the park as a whole will be worse than terrible. The best place for this data (without actual inspection) is two directories -- Woodalls or Travel Life Directory (which is also available in a "Streets & Trips"-like version). If the Restroom Rating is 8 or above, the park will be very acceptable.

We rarely spend more than one night in a park so do not make reservations. In the hundreds of times we have just "shown up," we have only once been turned away and that time we found a park two miles away that was even better. On this same subject, we have found, lately, that the only park in a town has gone out of business. This is very irritating if the next town is an hour away. I guess, if I planned on staying at a park for several day or weeks, I would make a reservation just to make sure.

Rates are a certainly "across the board." Jackson Hole, Harpers Ferry, Key West are examples of high rates year round. The most we have ever spent is $65 (a night). We are members of the Good Sam Club (10% discount), Escapees (15%-50%), Passport America (50%) CampClubUSA (50%) and KOA (10%). We stay at so many parks that the cost of these programs are more than off-set. Therefore, our "average" is around $20-$25 a night.

A "Social Bunch"!! What an understatement. These are the happiest, friendliest group of people I have ever been around. On the other hand, in the off-season most of the "residents" are local workers and they are as friendly as your neighbors at home -- glad to say "Hello" but have no time for socializing.

FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) is an example of a "Social Group" that one should consider joining because they have affinity groups for any activity you may be intereted in. (We belong so that we can be members of Roadtrek International.) Escapees (mentioned above) is actually more of a "Social" organization than a discount club -- Good Sam Club also. These types of organizations are invaluable of you enjoy traveling in a caravan.

This is extremely important. I would guess that this imaginary concern prevents almost everyone from seriously considering the RV life. The Macerator system in our Roadtrek is so easy peasy that one doesn't need to wear gloves and would not even have to wash your hands afterwards except for the road dust on the hose. (You don't have to wear googles, rubber suit or a gas mask either.)

Here's my RV. Once I ER I'll be bicycle touring a lot and the first trip will be across the USA. I can't wait to get going. I have everything I need on the bike, sleeping bag and pad, tent, cooking equipment etc. Fuel consists of donuts, bacon etc and the daily costs above that are minimal. Campsites are free if I just stop at the side of the road or can be $5 to $15 a night. I sometimes stop at motels when I've had a hard day, but for an extended trip I budget $50/day.

Good for you nun! That shows how basic an RV can be.

And as brewer said, there are many possibilities with van conversions.

The food part is important. I really wouldn't want to eat out every meal, so that is a draw back to the regular van idea.

Helen, We travel with a conversion van and carry a two burner camp stove, a portable BBQ and a tub of pans, utensils and dishes. It's a bit more work, but for around $200 we have the tools to fix fabulous meals when we camp. As a bonus, we get to take advantage of fresh local produce. You don't need a self contained RV to do some top notch cookin' on the road :greetings10:

Helen, We travel with a conversion van and carry a two burner camp stove, a portable BBQ and a tub of pans, utensils and dishes. It's a bit more work, but for around $200 we have the tools to fix fabulous meals when we camp. As a bonus, we get to take advantage of fresh local produce. You don't need a self contained RV to do some top notch cookin' on the road

And refrigeration? and water (including bathroom facilities)?

On the other hand, I have seen a great number of folks in RV Parks in nothing more than a four door car (the kind with the lift-up back hatch). A couple of weeks ago, a car parked beside us, after dark, and they spent about an hour taking all the stuff out and "setting up." (An incredible amount of stuff, in fact.) The next morning, the lady spent about an hour making breakfast for the two of them. She had four burners going and it included eggs and bacon, some pancake-like things, a pot of some stew/soup-like stuff, etc. She had the entire top of the park's picknic table covered with stuff leaving only the smallest of areas for them to sit at.

While she was doing that, the guy (I'm guessing they were in their 60's) was tearing the bed down -- a large roll-up peice of that memory foam stuff -- putting every thing back into vehicle and into a carrier they had on top. (They had removed the rear seats.) He even had a fairly large ladder to help with the top loading. I sat there eating my breakfast inside (it was somewhat too nippy for me) watching out the window in amazement at how much "stuff" they had -- all of it useful to the camping world (in my opinion).

When he was finished putting everything away, there was only room in the vehicle for them up front. I don't think they could have put a tooth pick in anywhere else.

I was sorely disappointed when they suddenly drove off without my speaking with them.

Helen, We travel with a conversion van and carry a two burner camp stove, a portable BBQ and a tub of pans, utensils and dishes. It's a bit more work, but for around $200 we have the tools to fix fabulous meals when we camp. As a bonus, we get to take advantage of fresh local produce. You don't need a self contained RV to do some top notch cookin' on the road :greetings10:

Excellent point.

I agree that having 100% of your meals in restaurants while traveling would be a drag and expensive....... for us anyway. But you don't need a full kitchen to eat well while on the go. We have little trouble eating well for a week while traveling by canoe and carrying only the aparatus and food we are comfortable carrying over portages........ and that ain't much! Back packers carry even less.

It's all just a matter of what you're doing, how you enjoy yourself, what you want to accomplish, the experiences you want to have, etc. All very personal decisions. Those expressing the view that the way they're traveling is the only "right way," probably actually mean it's the only "right way for themselves." ;)

Back
Top Bottom