So, um, the dollar?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Nobody noticed the USD gapping down on Friday? My commodities and foreign bond funds when ape-poopy while I was busy stuffing myself taking DD to a children's museum...

I don't understand what "ape-poopy" means. Did your funds go up or down?

Forget the dollar. Did anybody notice REIT's (as measured by VGSIX) were up 6% last week.

Attachments

• currency..jpg
    currency..jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 8
  • currency..jpg_thumb
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
Delawaredave said:
I'm guessing dollar's going to weaken a little more against Euro and a lot more against Asian currencies.

If you have the courage of your convictions and some spare ducats, I draw your attention to: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAB-WT

They are exchange traded Asian curency warrants that IIRC expire in Jan. 2008 and are roughly at-the-money. I haven't quite had the gazungas to buy any of these things, but I suppose I could be convinced. Obviously speculative, though.

I wouldn't worry about the holiday Friday. Monday will fix whatever was out of wack.

I have never understood why anyone would want to own a Euro. The self-righteous Europeans are debasing their currency worse than anything DC could imagine. It just doesn't seem to impact their exchange rate as much.

Interesting but currency warrants are a game I can't even pretend to understand....

I like the "Buffett approach" of buying stocks / funds in international companies whose earnings will "magnify" well when converting back to dollars.

We are talking about doing a European vacation next year. I couldn't afford Europe a couple years ago at $1.20. Imagine if it goes to $1.40 - $1.50..........

FIRE'd@51 said:
Forget the dollar. Did anybody notice REIT's (as measured by VGSIX) were up 6% last week.

Most of that is due to the private equity buyout offer on EOP which makes up a large part of the index

Delawaredave said:
We are talking about doing a European vacation next year. I couldn't afford Europe a couple years ago at $1.20. Imagine if it goes to $1.40 - $1.50..........

If you decide definitely to go to Europe, you could start buying some Euro traveller's checks every month in advance to protect yourself against a huge swing just before you go. DCA.

FIRE'd@51 said:

Yeah, I noticed. I belatedly rebalanced my portfolio and sold off almost a third of my VGSIX. It went up 4.5% over the next two days! But I wasn't trying to time things, so that's just the way things go.

bpp said:
If you decide definitely to go to Europe, you could start buying some Euro traveller's checks every month in advance to protect yourself against a huge swing just before you go. DCA.

Interesting idea. I guess that should be obvious to someone investing via DCA, but I don't think I would ever have thought of DCA'ing into a foreign trip. Neat trick!

bpp said:

or buy some FXE if you have a brokerage account and want some interest on your Euros rather than let them sit in your drawer.

Back
Top Bottom