Social Security & Windfall Elim.--Spousal Benefit Reduced?

Accidental Retiree

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know there are quite a few public sector retirees on the forum, and I just know one of you can answer the question I have about Social Security and the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP).

Specifically, I am curious about how WEP will affect DH's spousal benefits if I file and suspend until age 70, as I plan to do when the time comes.

I thought it might be a good idea to let my SS amount build up for that extra 4 years, not only for longevity insurance but also for some offset of the WEP.

(That, or I could w*ork for 9 more years to get up to the 30 years needed so I would not be subject to WEP.):nonono:

When I file and suspend at age 66 and 2 years, I would then have DH, who is 2 years older and was the higher earner, take the spousal benefit from my SS for a couple of years until HE turns 70. Then he can file for SS on his record.

(And yes, I know about the GPO offset if I draw on his benefits. One thing at a time!)

When he takes a spousal benefit based on MY record, is his spousal benefit also going to be reduced because of the WEP?

Take your time. I have 9 years to figure this out!

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

When he takes a spousal benefit based on MY record, is his spousal benefit also going to be reduced because of the WEP?

not directly, but since WEP affects your PIA and your spouse's spousal benefit is based on your PIA, your spouse's benefit will be affected by the WEP effect on your benefit (PIA)

Back
Top Bottom