spouses' SS

runnerr

Recycles dryer sheets
I have a question about SS. Your wife is younger than you are but her SS will be much more than yours can you collect on hers if: you started collect yours already, have not yet started collecting yours. In addition, yes, you have been married more then 10 years and she dies.

We just went thru this situation. I have the larger of the two salaries but 12 years younger than my husband. He started collecting SS at 62 and I was sure he could collect on mine too. BUT when we sat down at the SS office with the person in charge of his claim explained that until I opened my claim he had to collect on only his SS. Once I open my account he can then have his recalculated to include any extra he would get from my SS.

Outtahere,
Thanks for the information. Isn’t it strange that after you retire you start to look at all aspects of what is most advantages for you.

Don't wait till you retire to look at those things, looking at them now can help you to RE :)

We just went thru this situation. I have the larger of the two salaries but 12 years younger than my husband. He started collecting SS at 62 and I was sure he could collect on mine too. BUT when we sat down at the SS office with the person in charge of his claim explained that until I opened my claim he had to collect on only his SS. Once I open my account he can then have his recalculated to include any extra he would get from my SS.

You need to be careful here. The benefits come in two parts. First will be the spouse's worker benefit, which can start at age 62. The spousal benefit is the balance due..So you cannot say it will be "totally" recalculated. Once you lock in the first part, you take a permanent reduction. You do not bounce back up when the spousal benefit begins..Therefore, you are locking in a permanent reduction on part of your benefit by starting at age 62.

That's true, dh will have a reduced amount even when mine kicks in.

Back
Top Bottom