Sunday nights are amazing

I love this thread!!!

Regarding Sunday nights; near the end of my pre-FIRE existence I actually developed this strange affection for Monday mornings, as it let me cross one more week off my countdown schedule.

It makes me laugh when the "kids" over on Bogleheads post comments suggesting that FIRE is vastly overrated and that people in our situations will be miserable and bored. Reviewing this thread, I'm just not seeing it!

+1

And as a former teacher I can say with 100% honesty, how wonderful it is to see all the Back To School signs and sales and not care one little bit.
I left teaching for another field over 35 years ago, but I still remember driving one warm September day (after resigning), with the window down and noticing how perfect the weather was. "Why have I always hated September-it's a beautiful month" I wondered.....then I figured it out....

I have a friend who calls retirement, "the Friday night of life," when every night we go to bed and the next day is Saturday!

I like this one!! Can't wait til I'm retired to live by this.

I love this thread!!!

Regarding Sunday nights; near the end of my pre-FIRE existence I actually developed this strange affection for Monday mornings, as it let me cross one more week off my countdown schedule.

It makes me laugh when the "kids" over on Bogleheads post comments suggesting that FIRE is vastly overrated and that people in our situations will be miserable and bored. Reviewing this thread, I'm just not seeing it!

Ha I hear you...I remember the last couple of weeks working I kind of relished the experience of the whole "going to work" morning routine knowing it was ending soon...I do regret not making a little video of when I walked out of office.....I swear I was walking on air and just giggling to myself....one of the best days of my life ....

My absolute best time of the week? Monday morning about 6! The dog has been walked and fed. We are both hanging on the deck while I drink coffee and watch the serfs head to the fields.

We walk the dog later in the morning, and only DW drinks coffee (tea for me), but +1 on the rest!

I was fortunate enough to have a "Non-9-to-5-Monday-Friday" J.O.B. for 30 some years.

It is only the last 3 years of retirement that has given any real "meaning" to the days of the week.

So far, I like ALL of them....

:)

Last edited:
I just want to say that out loud as I know this forum is a safe place to do it. I have a couple of friends who today expressed high anxiety about their week work ahead. Man, I'm 31 months in and my adoration for Sunday nights and Monday mornings continues to grow. I'm so so grateful and thankful that I created a situation where this is possible at a young age ( I turned 53 yesterday).

This. The funny thing is that almost all friends/ family who still work made double or more the $ than I did, and continue to chase the dollars to fund their lives.

I have a hard time remembering what day it even is anymore.......they're all equally awesome :)

Me too- and it has been just shy of 3 yrs.!

What I hated worst about Sundays was travel.

On average about once per month, I had to fly out to be somewhere Monday morning. (I know many have / had much heavier travel schedules!)

Every Sunday afternoon / evening I don't spend in an airport is heavenly.

I did the same amount of travel, which generally blew an entire week including half of 2 weekends. I still avoid air travel on a Friday or a Sunday. Their are still certain airports I will not go through, and certain airlines I will not fly.

In my later years, email catchup was expected on Sunday. This way, you could do "real work" on Monday.

Oh it is nice to be free.

Yep. And it was only my last 2 years that I refused to take the laptop or welcome phone calls while on vacation or on weekends. We hike, and on purpose selected place remote enough that wifi & cell svc. were spotty at best.

Also one of the reasons we travel very little in retirement.

We still take at least 2 9+ day vacas & 3-4 long weekenders, but that is plenty & I've no desire at all to go back over the pond yet- maybe at some point.

I had to talk my DH into retiring early. After a few months he said, "This is amazing - I should have done this decades earlier!" (he was 56 when he retired, he couldn't have retired any earlier, LOL).

He now refers to himself as "gainfully unemployed."

My BIL gave me a day of the week clock for my retirement. Five years in, I have to look at it often. 😀

Sunday evening and Monday are my favorite times of the week now, knowing how anxious I used to be at those times before retiring.

Ha I hear you...I remember the last couple of weeks working I kind of relished the experience of the whole "going to work" morning routine knowing it was ending soon...I do regret not making a little video of when I walked out of office.....I swear I was walking on air and just giggling to myself....one of the best days of my life ....

Good times! Same here, thanks for the reminder. Class of 2015.

Honestly, it took me at least 3 years to settle in, but I’ve been accused of being a slow learner. Was envious of folks claiming to acclimate in months. All’s great now and getting better every day!

This. The funny thing is that almost all friends/ family who still work made double or more the $ than I did, and continue to chase the dollars to fund their lives.

Me too- and it has been just shy of 3 yrs.!

I did the same amount of travel, which generally blew an entire week including half of 2 weekends. I still avoid air travel on a Friday or a Sunday. Their are still certain airports I will not go through, and certain airlines I will not fly.

Yep. And it was only my last 2 years that I refused to take the laptop or welcome phone calls while on vacation or on weekends. We hike, and on purpose selected place remote enough that wifi & cell svc. were spotty at best.

We still take at least 2 9+ day vacas & 3-4 long weekenders, but that is plenty & I've no desire at all to go back over the pond yet- maybe at some point.

Ditto. Years of long haul in the short, cheap seats out to the Rim fixing messes and making a few of my own. It had it’s time, but glad it’s over now.

Cancelled Mediterranean trip slated for this fall. Just hanging out here, enjoying the best season of the year. Haven’t been on a plane since I Fired 5 almost 5 years ago.

Ditto

I just want to say that out loud as I know this forum is a safe place to do it. I have a couple of friends who today expressed high anxiety about their week work ahead. Man, I'm 31 months in and my adoration for Sunday nights and Monday mornings continues to grow. I'm so so grateful and thankful that I created a situation where this is possible at a young age ( I turned 53 yesterday).

Everyday is Saturday!

Heh, this reminded me of an boss I once had. He went to Alaska on vacation a couple times a year to fish, where he had no cell service way out in the middle of nowhere. Had pix of him landing "big ones" on his office wall.

At his retirement party I asked him if he was still going to fish in Alaska when retired... and he confessed to me he only went to Alaska the first year. All the dozens of other times he was "in Alaska" he was vacationing at the beach, out west, Florida, you name it. But he was able to unplug from work 100% with nobody the wiser. Genius.

Heh, this reminded me of an boss I once had. He went to Alaska on vacation a couple times a year to fish, where he had no cell service way out in the middle of nowhere. Had pix of him landing "big ones" on his office wall.

At his retirement party I asked him if he was still going to fish in Alaska when retired... and he confessed to me he only went to Alaska the first year. All the dozens of other times he was "in Alaska" he was vacationing at the beach, out west, Florida, you name it. But he was able to unplug from work 100% with nobody the wiser. Genius.
+1. I usually go places with no/intermittent cell phone connectivity. My favorites are liveaboard dive boats. I tell everyone I won't have cell phone access or email for 10 days! Looking forward to not having to tell anyone that next year!

Relaxing and watching a movie. We'd NEVER do that while working. Gotta get a head start on email, ya know.
For those of you not already FIRED (like me), balance in everything. I set up a home theater, with a 10-foot screen, and watch movies several nights a week, even while w#rking. Don't wait until you FIRE to maintain a work-life balance, IMHO. Be efficient and take time for yourself and your family!

Great thread! I am 8 months in, and dreaded Sundays, as 10pm til 2am twice a month was implementation of production system changes Sunday evening. Now I rejoice in Sunday, like all the days of the week. Pure bliss! For those not FIRE'd, the stress savings alone from not having to w**k and face the blues of Monday is incredible, and can add years to your life. [emoji16]

I have 16 Sundays nights to go until I retire.

I can't wait to lose track of days. My DH is already retired and is getting tired of waiting for me to RE.

Three years in after FIREing at 57. Finally planning a solo trip (unfortunately never married) to Japan in late October for Halloween. Heard it was kind of fun and crazy so what the heck take off and staying for a couple of weeks thru November too. I've never taken a trip like this before but I've watched a ton of YouTube videos on Japan. I found myself trying to schedule the flights on the weekend when I realized what the heck, take off on a relaxing Tuesday morning with Uber to the airport and come back on a Tuesday morning in November. Hope I'll have a great time. Don't know a blasted soul there but I'll enjoy the crazy costumes, see some sights, wonder the back alleys is that beautiful city and take a few naps too in Tokyo. :)

Like others here, we rarely know the date much less the day of the week. It is a problem as I miss trash day fairly regularly so had to set a day alarm on my computer to remind myself to put it out. The only other day I have to remember is the 11th when I must read all the meters to input the values online to make payment. Here in Hungary they physically read the meters once a year (for verification) and you input the values monthly yourself. But, we do live in a world where others have a work schedule so I tend to avoid shopping on weekends.

When I woke up the first Saturday after I retired, my mind instinctively raced to the typical chores I do on most Saturdays. Then it hit me, I’ll wake up on Monday and it’ll be Saturday again. What s great feeling!

It's the Monday morning traffic report for me. The best part is no commute.

Back
Top Bottom