Sunday night gratitude

Just sitting here thinking back on when I was working Sunday nights were simply horrendous. I actually didn't "hate" my job , but the Sunday night dread of the week ahead--the awful small talk in the elevator on Monday morning " how was your weekend" , the boss and his "anything big coming up this week". The communal bathroom stalls , OMG ugh! List goes on and on.

Oh man, I'm sitting here :LOL: yet also cringing on how that would feel.

Immensely grateful that I planned right, got lucky, whatever.....I'm just so damn happy I'm not having to work any longer.
i had trouble going to sleep on Sunday nights not for the reasons stated by the OP but because of the workload. the phone call messages, the e-mail, complaints from the public, FOIA requests from defense attys and the inevitable personnel fires i would need to exinguish. i used to "dial in" (anyone remember that?) on weekends just to stay ahead of the e-mail but gave that up since I was working 7-days a week.

...and here's another great variant of Sunday night: DW and I went on a one week vacation a few months ago. On the last full day, I was NOT sad, 'coz when I would get home I'd still be on vacation!

I just walked past my first back-to-school sign at a local department store.

Oh, how nice it is to not give a hoot. :D

Since I saw the sign on a Sunday, it's a two-fer!!! :dance:

I try not to do any shopping on the weekends!

My best friend from childhood asks we book a restaurant for SATURDAY night. We do not worry about cost, but the girls need to wear that expensive jewelry etc.

I HATE crowds on the weekend and all the tech boys book out the really top end restaurants well in advance. I really tried 6 different places ($300/seat) and as Tony B used to say, NO RESERVATIONs. We will go mid class, nice but wear shorts, and try to book something great on WEDNESDAY night as well.

Why in the world some people still think Saturday night is the night to go out I have no clue. I like my weekend on Wed!!!:popcorn:

Went to a Sunday afternoon backyard get together and drank like a fish.
Really relished waking up at 7am on Monday to prep for my weekly yelling from my project sponsor... not!

Only 40 weeks to go. Serenity now. :yuk:

Feeling sundays hard these days. 10 yrs to go. Working waay too much lately...Sunday anxiety is strong...subsides a little as the week goes on. so crazy. Kids, sick family, working too much just adds to it.

I’m surprised to find that Monday Is probably my favorite day now. The traffic and stores are less crowded, and the neighborhood is more peaceful for walking.

UGH.... Now its Monday morning.... and facing 72 hours at work over the next 5 days...
Come on Jan 1st!!!!!

had to bump this one up because once in awhile I get a flashback to the cringe worthy angst I used to experience on Sunday nights while working. It's important for me to acknowledge this. Life is so much better now. We are all very lucky to have this life.

Just took an amazing hot bath with lavender epsom salts...gonna sleep well....hit the pool tomorrow and read my book......I'm so grateful.

Getting rid of having to work a full day on Monday was one of my biggest scheduling priorities during the last 7 years of my career when I worked part-time and sometimes from home.

The first 2 years of my part-time era (2001-2008), I worked from home for 4 hours on Mondays, in 2-hour shifts starting at 10 AM. So, Sunday nights were not awful any more because I could sleep in and had a commute from my bed to my PC and didn't have to start with breakfast until 9 AM or so.

The WFH deal ended in late 2003, so I had to go to the office 3 days a week to fulfill my hours, returning some of the horrors of my commute. For the next 3 1/2 years, I worked 3 days a week. But I rarely worked on Mondays, mostly for 2 reasons. The first was hating those Sunday nights. The other was my square dance session on Monday nights. If I tried to dance after working the whole day with the awful commute, I was too worn out to dance.

The last Monday I worked was in 2005, a day when I had no dancing that night.

Back-to-school? Back-to-work? Those are burdens for the mass of others out there!

About 8 years ago, I started switching up my work schedule a bit, where I'd take a half day on Wednesday. Just that little change made a big difference in my mood. Monday could still be a bit stressful, but it managed to blend the pessimism of Monday with the optimism of Thursday. Tuesday felt kind of like a Friday. Wednesday felt like euphoria. And then Thursday/Friday felt about like they normally do. Then, for a couple years, I started taking Wednesdays off completely.

Back then, I only worked about 2.5 miles from my house, so rush hour congestion really didn't affect me much. But then after I moved in 2018, now about 18 miles out, it was more noticeable. I started staggering my work hours where I'd stay late Mon/Tues/Thurs and leave around noon on Weds/Fri. Some people might take exception to even bother going in for 4-5 hours a day, but I found I liked having two short days more than having one whole day off.

Once Covid hit, and we started working from home, suddenly it didn't seem like it mattered anymore, and I feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a limbo, between working and retired. Monday doesn't bother me much at all anymore, and Sunday doesn't have that Monday dread hanging over it anymore. And sometimes, during the work week, I will lose track of what day of the week it is. It's not like being fully retired (or summer vacation as a kid) where the weekdays and weekend days all blur together. And I still take short days/days off here and there, and switch them up. As long as we have coverage at work, they're fine with it.

One one hand, I don't look forward to the weekend as much, but on the other, I don't dread the work week as much as I used to!

My housemate has been working a Tues-Sat shift since something like 2001. So for him, Saturday feels like Friday evening. Sunday feels like a Saturday, and he gets his "Sunday blahs" on Monday. Although, one advantage to a schedule like that, is when you're running around on Monday, vs Saturday or Sunday, you can get more done because most people are at work.

Back-to-school? Back-to-work? Those are burdens for the mass of others out there!

Heh, heh I still occasionally have one of those dreams where I didn't take a test at university - and didn't pass a course - and didn't graduate. The "w*rk" dreams have mostly faded, thank goodness, but once in a while I still have one.

So, no more Sunday blues, but the occasional "bad dream" about college or Megacorp disturb my sleep.

My whole weekend/workday mindset has been a bit blurred these past few years, where I don't get as excited for the weekend as I used to, but at the same time don't dread the work week so much, thanks to working from home/flexible schedule and such.

However, one vestige of childhood that seems burned into my mindset, and will probably never go away, is the whole idea of summer vacation. I still get excited in the spring when the days get longer, weather gets nicer, and the traditional "summer vacation" time sets in. And, right about this point, I start to turn a bit, mood wise. For me the "peak of summer vacation" is always the weekend that I go to the all Chrysler car show in Carlisle PA, which was just this past weekend. It just "feels" like summer, if that makes sense. Frozen in time for a moment. Hot, sunny, relaxing. Not a care in the world. Kicked back in a lawn chair behind the car with a few friends, drinking beer.

But then, it's over. And suddenly it seems like the rest of summer vacation goes by in a blur. One thing I noticed I used to get when I was younger, and still do to an extent, is "the August blahs". Sort of like "the Sunday blahs", just over a whole month.

My whole weekend/workday mindset has been a bit blurred these past few years, where I don't get as excited for the weekend as I used to, but at the same time don't dread the work week so much, thanks to working from home/flexible schedule and such.

However, one vestige of childhood that seems burned into my mindset, and will probably never go away, is the whole idea of summer vacation. I still get excited in the spring when the days get longer, weather gets nicer, and the traditional "summer vacation" time sets in. And, right about this point, I start to turn a bit, mood wise. For me the "peak of summer vacation" is always the weekend that I go to the all Chrysler car show in Carlisle PA, which was just this past weekend. It just "feels" like summer, if that makes sense. Frozen in time for a moment. Hot, sunny, relaxing. Not a care in the world. Kicked back in a lawn chair behind the car with a few friends, drinking beer.

But then, it's over. And suddenly it seems like the rest of summer vacation goes by in a blur. One thing I noticed I used to get when I was younger, and still do to an extent, is "the August blahs". Sort of like "the Sunday blahs", just over a whole month.

Yeah, I always hated Fall because it meant winter was coming. There were shorter days. It was going to be cold and rainy and then cold and snowy. Now, at 21 degrees N. Lat, the days never get real long or real short. I do hate sunset at 5:30 PM in December, but it's still warm out, so there's that.

About 8 years ago, I started switching up my work schedule a bit, where I'd take a half day on Wednesday. Just that little change made a big difference in my mood. Monday could still be a bit stressful, but it managed to blend the pessimism of Monday with the optimism of Thursday. Tuesday felt kind of like a Friday. Wednesday felt like euphoria. And then Thursday/Friday felt about like they normally do. Then, for a couple years, I started taking Wednesdays off completely.

Back then, I only worked about 2.5 miles from my house, so rush hour congestion really didn't affect me much. But then after I moved in 2018, now about 18 miles out, it was more noticeable. I started staggering my work hours where I'd stay late Mon/Tues/Thurs and leave around noon on Weds/Fri. Some people might take exception to even bother going in for 4-5 hours a day, but I found I liked having two short days more than having one whole day off.

Once Covid hit, and we started working from home, suddenly it didn't seem like it mattered anymore, and I feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a limbo, between working and retired. Monday doesn't bother me much at all anymore, and Sunday doesn't have that Monday dread hanging over it anymore. And sometimes, during the work week, I will lose track of what day of the week it is. It's not like being fully retired (or summer vacation as a kid) where the weekdays and weekend days all blur together. And I still take short days/days off here and there, and switch them up. As long as we have coverage at work, they're fine with it.

One one hand, I don't look forward to the weekend as much, but on the other, I don't dread the work week as much as I used to!

My housemate has been working a Tues-Sat shift since something like 2001. So for him, Saturday feels like Friday evening. Sunday feels like a Saturday, and he gets his "Sunday blahs" on Monday. Although, one advantage to a schedule like that, is when you're running around on Monday, vs Saturday or Sunday, you can get more done because most people are at work.

Your Wednesday schedule change reminded me of what I did back in 2000, the last calendar year I worked full-time. Because it was my 15th year employed there, I received a 4th week of vacation time. Because I wasn't going out of town on vacation that year, I didn't have any specific plans to use them (and they had a limit of one week of unquestioned carryover days). So, during the summer, I took off every other Wednesday, just to break up the long week. This made it seem like I worked a pair of 2-day weeks, with Tuesday feeling like a Friday, so I could go to sleep late and sleep in the next morning. I did errands on those Wednesdays, sometimes went to my co-op's pool (which closed for the day on weekdays before I could get there after the long day and commute), and sometimes did extra cooking for dinner because I wasn't burdened with getting home at 6:30 PM all worn out.

Those little perks gave me a preview of how I would use those weekdays off the following year when I was able to switch to working part-time and mostly from home, a PT arrangement I would enjoy in one form or another for the next 7 years. After ERing, all those freebie Wednesdays became the norm, with the added benefit of being able to spread out those personal tasks. :cool:

I now look forward to Monday mornings! :D

Do not miss “Sunday night angst” at all. DH and I still marvel at the idea that we live the same or better lifestyle but without having to work. Taking naps still feel like a luxury, but we are getting used to it (retired in 2016).
Life is good!!!!

Monday mornings are outright glorious!

Not retired, few more years, maybe. Have taken a few Mondays off just cuz and it's almost better than taking Friday off.

No one is around and can go just about anywhere without tripping over anyone. Get my choice of 10,000 lakes to myself, score!

Back
Top Bottom