Join Early Retirement Today

Making the Pie Larger
Old 03-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #241
Recycles dryer sheets

Making the Pie Larger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The economy, whether on an individual country or world-wide level, does not have to be a zero-sum game. People keep forgetting that!

Any transaction could and should be structured in such a way that everybody becomes better off. Nobody has to be a victim.
+1

I firmly believe that goods and services produced and consumed make the pie larger not simply re-slice the same pie. By adding value to the economy not only do I have more pie but I've helped increase the size of the pie. It's the proverbial "win-win."

I'll rephrase my earlier sentiments - if your portion of the pie is getting smaller and you're concerned that other people have too much pie (i.e. wealth inequality) there is only one person to blame! Look in the mirror.

Yes, this is an oversimplification but it rings true in many situations. I see it in my own circle of family and friends.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
What does your comment have to do with my post? I made no reference to "tax increases folks are talking about" whatsoever.
Sorry my bad. I was getting confused with one of the other threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
If you think that only increasing taxes on the so-called rich "a few percentage points" fixes our issues with jobs and income for our rapidly expanding population, I think you're wrong.
Well many other countries both have slightly higher tax rates which they use to fund social programs (e.g., education, etc.) resulting in greater social/economic mobility than the U.S.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #243
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
The people with money conspire to keep that from happening. ....the evidence is everywhere.
Must type faster, I think I hear the black helicopters closing in...
Old 04-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #244
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Must type faster, I think I hear the black helicopters closing in...
And they're coming for Wikipedia first. Free education? Off with their ISP!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #245
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I'll rephrase my earlier sentiments - if your portion of the pie is getting smaller and you're concerned that other people have too much pie (i.e. wealth inequality) there is only one person to blame! Look in the mirror.
I have to agree. It seems that we (as a nation) look to others to fill our needs, be it parents who support their "adult children" or the position of an ever increasing society (world-wide) that believes "the government" is there to supply their every want/need.

Personal responsibility is lacking and becoming more of a problem, IMHO. Sure, if you're born in a 3rd world country and scratching for food/shelter each day, that's one thing. But if you're lucky enough to be born in a 1st world country but unwilling to put forth the effort to make a good life for yourself and your family (succeed or not), than you have only yourself to blame...
Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #246
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I have to agree. It seems that we (as a nation) look to others to fill our needs, be it parents who support their "adult children" or the position of an ever increasing society (world-wide) that believes "the government" is there to supply their every want/need.

Personal responsibility is lacking and becoming more of a problem, IMHO. Sure, if you're born in a 3rd world country and scratching for food/shelter each day, that's one thing. But if you're lucky enough to be born in a 1st world country but unwilling to put forth the effort to make a good life for yourself and your family (succeed or not), than you have only yourself to blame...
Old 04-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #247
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Yeah, but the peas still suck ...

Hey, it a texture thing (for those confused, search for my name in another thread)...
I have a rich friend in Canada who has squishy peas for a treat when he has us over for dinner (I knew he was comfortable but then he just donated $1 million to a local university!) and I enjoy the peas as a reminder of the kind I used to get at home before frozen peas were available.