What doesn't Medicare cover

Roger_R

Recycles dryer sheets
I visited a couple of Medicare sites trying to figure this one out.  Sorting through things, I can see what is covered, but have a little difficulty in seeing what isn't covered.  I know prescription medication is one.  When my folks were in their eighties, they carried supplemental policies that ran around $300 each.  Other than prescription medications, for all intents all of their medical fees were covered.  I'm curious what these types of supplemental policies cover beyond Medicare and part B Medicare?  

If I recall from when my father was ill, the supplemental policies primarily cover the medicare deductable, some blood and extra days of hospital care. Medicare has significant limits on how many days of hospital care it will fully cover, 60 if I remember correctly.

Medigap can also cover, depending on the policy, things like drugs, preventive care and costs over the annual medicare maximums. I think there is other coverage as well that can be bought to cover "gaps" in medicare A and B.

Medicare recently covered my father's hospice care. The group involved was most kind and compassionate to all of us. I hightly recommend it when those situations arise.

Medicare has significant limits on how many days of hospital care it will fully cover, 60 if I remember correctly.

It might be longer if you choose the Medicare HMO option.

It might be longer if you choose the Medicare HMO option.

If you chose the HMO option, it replaces the medigap insurance. However, there are a number of downsides to the HMO so be sure to investigage thoroughly before buying in.

Back
Top Bottom