1 year FIRE anniversary

astromeria

Moderator Emeritus
I don't have anything all that poignant or illuminating to say about my first year of FIRE. I'm happy to report that the year didn't go by too fast--I was able to savor it well. It was certainly much easier to handle family events like my daughter's wedding and my mother's 80th birthday bash, my brother's hospitalization, volunteering, entertaining, and traveling while FIREd. I had all the time in the world to think, plan, and play whenever I pleased. It sure feels good!

I knew that my work was stressful, but it's much easier to see just how bad it was from my current vantage point. I sleep better and have more energy. I've found several ways to keep my mind and body happily engaged. I've spent a lot more time living in the moment and looking forward to the future than looking back at the past. I've noticed that my tendency to worry has decreased--I basically yawned in the face of the market downturn, pleased that I'm still up on the year. I said "Cool!" when my husband told me he'd like to fully retire sooner than he had planned. I figure I'll be able to cope with the health insurance issue--maybe if I eat less and exercise more I'll look better to an insurer (and myself ;)). I could see us living abroad or full-timing in an RV. I expect we'll make both of those happen at different points.

Early retirement is even better than I had imagined.

Congrats Astro. You sound like a happy woman.

Ha

My wife has been retired all of a couple months now and she is getting edgy that I am not retired. I have my countdown retirement counter set for Nov 07. It was like this while she was teaching, she would sometimes complain that I did not have enough time off which I would respond by pointing out that although I had less vacation time I could take my time off whenever I wanted and she couldn't, which always improved communications :-X
Now she wants to plan more travel and structured activities. IMHO what she really needs is a "slacker" advisor.

astromeria said:
Early retirement is even better than I had imagined.
Hey I like hearing how the ERS are doing. Especially after a day like today. The end is in sight!

Back
Top Bottom