55+ housing: condo or other?

Hey Playaman--
We looked at the Del Webb neighborhood too--gorgeous! I love that area, too. We're a few years out from moving again though. So, do you have to do your own yardwork?

Leslie

Last edited:
Leslie --

The house is yet to be built, but when we do move in sometime in late spring, I plan to have someone else do the mowing, edging, and grass cleanup. I enjoy working in flower beds, though, and plan to continue doing that myself. "Piddlin' in the yard" has always been a pleasant timekiller for me.

Let me know if you choose to become a neighbor.

The Atlanta newspaper had an article about Levitt 55+ communities. There were supposed to be three in North Georgia, but Levitt has decided not to go ahead with the third one. They are at the point of bankruptcy. Supposedly has to do with the general housing/financial crisis. They are unable to pay their sub/contractors. People who were supposed to close had the moving van on the road and then were told they wouldn't be closing. One community that has sold about 25% of the potential homes still doesn't have the clubhouse built after a year---and the enormous (excuse me---I guess to be current I should say ginormous!) clubhouse with all the amenities is one of the major reasons why people buy in these communities.

I don't know how this will play out. Don't know whether this doesn't bode well for over 55 communities. I do think Levitt builds homes other than for 55+.

My advise would be to buy after the development has been in existence 10 years. By that time contractor short-cuts should be evident, the home owner's assn mature so you can examine the financials.

Same opinion on condo buildings.

Back
Top Bottom