Accessing the internet while travelling overseas

I can plug into any Windows machine and have my own environment. When the key is removed, there is no trace of my having been there.

Unless there is a hardware keylogger on the system.

I have a Sony Mylo for accessing the net via WI-FI hotspots when travelling. It's great. :D It's the way to go if you don't want a laptop or any kind of monthly fee.

http://laptopmag.com/Review/Sony-Mylo.htm

Sony%20MyLo%20COM-1B_i.jpg

Hi Trek, That is the way I want to do it, too. I plan to get a more general PDA with a bit larger screen. Do you find the QVGA (320x200) sufficiently useful for web surfing? Can you access brokerage and bank accounts? It looks like Vanguard now allows mobile access, I just tried it on my Treo (they had turned it off for awhile).

I really like the idea that you can carry it with you and have it be hidden in your pocket, a huge advantage over a laptop. Also, the cost is less so you don't have to worry about it getting stolen as much. I will probably get one without a keyboard and then carry a bluetooth keyboard in my pack -- they fold up and weigh just a few ounces.

Here are ideas I had for a Wi-Fi capable PDA on the road:

* Web surfing and email, including brokerage account access (brokerage access hopefully rare)
* e-book reading (There is a lot of content now, much of it free, and I just got feedback from Lonely Planet and they are hoping to have some of their travel guidebooks out for testing in an e-book format early next year)
* Public transport database ( http://nanika.net/Metro/ )
* Language translation (dictionary,flash-cards, there is a "pictionary" like program with useful pictures for rapid visual communication, they also speak and understand but this is more primitive and not there yet, you can even get a scanner to scan in menus that comes with translation software and get an instant translation but again not there yet -- but someday!)
* Playback movies (you preformat these at home and then put them on your web site and/or memory sticks)
* Store my music and audio books for my cheap MP3 clip-on
* GPS (you can get full GPS now with maps, but I am not willing to pay the extra that this costs unless the price comes down)
* Skype, of course!! You can receive calls, too, at your Skype-in number.
* Videogames/crosswords/sudoku
* RSS feeds and off-line reading content (can aggregate internet content then read later off-line)
* Showing and previewing my pictures!

Another note -- some of these devices can get bandwidth via bluetooth -- so conceivably, at an internet cafe which does not have Wi-Fi (all too common), you can buy one of those little bluetooth sticks that go in the USB slot of the PC you are using at the internet cafe and surf the web at full speed on your PDA using that PC's bandwidth. This works on the Treo (Palm OS). But I don't know if it works on Windows Mobile 5 (my preferred OS and the most common now for these devices).

The nice thing about content aggregation is that you can just find any wi-fi hotspot out there during the day, download your stuff in a few minutes, and read it later back at your Wi-Fi-less hotel/hostel. You can also read and reply to emails off-line, etc., and then send them when you are connected again.

Kramer

kramer said:
Do you find the QVGA (320x200) sufficiently useful for web surfing? Can you access brokerage and bank accounts?

Kramer

Screen is very clear and sharp. You can zoom in and out on the page if the text isn't large enough. It's not a huge screen so after some time your eyes would get tired of looking at but it's not really designed as a tool for hours of websurfing. I have no trouble accessing my bank/brokerage accounts with it at all.

I also got a bigger memory card for it and load it up with TV shows and movies along with tons of MP3's for long plane flights. Great battery life.

One comment on using WiFi. In our provsioning business, we offer Spam filtering and we have discovered that anyone who uses a WiFi connection from their laptop immediately starts receiving Spam to their email ID.

There must be some "sniffers" and a business of selling the lists. I assume this would also apply to PDAs using WiFi. We have not proven this as it is just a cause and effect observation so far. But I wanted to post it as a warning.

Note this is not a system compromise or ID theft, just email harvesting. But those sniffers might be capable of other things?

I have had no increase in spam to my email and I've used WI-FI access for several years now.

Regarding keylogging, I have an account with a bank in Europe. To access my account online I have to enter a user ID, a permanent password and then a random number generated by a PIN calculator issued to me by the bank. This way, one could log your ID and passwords, but it would do them no good as the third number is invalid after each use.

I wish American banks would adopt this policy. It is much more secure.

Also, use Mozilla's Firefox browser, not Internet Explorer. Firefox is a much more secure browser as well as more user friendly.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Is Firefox more secure than Internet Explorer?

Yes, Firefox and all other Mozilla-based products are more secure. Why? Here is a list of the most important reasons:

* It is not integrated with Windows, which helps prevent viruses and hackers from causing damage if they somehow manage to compromise Firefox.
* There is no support for VBScript and ActiveX, two technologies which are the reasons for many IE security holes.
* No spyware/adware software can automatically install in Firefox just by visiting a web site.
* Firefox doesn't use Microsoft's Java VM, which has a history of more flaws than other Java VMs.
* You have complete control over cookies.

A couple other neat features:

Phishing Protection

Phishing Protection takes Firefox’s security to a new level, helping to safeguard your financial information and protect you from identity theft. When you encounter a Web site that is a suspected forgery (known as a “phishing” site) Firefox will warn you and offer to take you to a search page so you can find the real Web site you were looking for.

Clear Private Data

Firefox offers the ability to clear all your private Web browsing data with just one click with the “Clear Private Data” tool. You can be confident that when you clear your private data in Firefox it’s gone - whether you are using your own computer or one at the library.

I have a friend that works in a local county government office in Estonia and Firefox is the only browser allowed to be used on their official computers to it's security.

Trek said:
I have had no increase in spam to my email and I've used WI-FI access for several years now.

Regarding keylogging, I have an account with a bank in Europe. To access my account online I have to enter a user ID, a permanent password and then a random number generated by a PIN calculator issued to me by the bank. This way, one could log your ID and passwords, but it would do them no good as the third number is invalid after each use.

I wish American banks would adopt this policy. It is much more secure.

E*Trade for one, already does.

Back
Top Bottom