Aging out of retirement

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This article is about an upcoming documentary by Sari Gilman called King's Point. She has some interesting observations about life after retirement. Since many of us retired early, we tend to focus on travel, sports and other activities in retirement. This focuses on what happens later in life.

I related many of the points discussed here to my mother in law. She and my father in law retired in a community with many other retirees. Sadly he died shortly after they retired leaving her alone. I remember the intense competition among the women for the scarce supply of men. Still, she was mostly happy, very healthy and fiercely independent.

She lived alone and had a full life for about 10 years before a stroke took away her ability to take care of herself. The last 15 years of her life were a spent living with her daughter then, when her need for care became overwhelming, a series of assisted living and nursing home facilities. She was very unhappy being dependent on others and often became depressed.

My husband and I had a close relationship with her and saw her often during all the stages of her life after retirement. Her experience had a tremendous impact on us and influenced many of our decisions such as retiring early and purchasing long term care insurance.

'Kings Point': Aging out of retirement - CNN.com

Gaaah! This is what makes me unwilling to even consider living in a retirement community - the notion that an old lady with an old man somehow "outranks" an old lady on her own. I refused to compete for men when I was younger, and I won't do it when I'm old.

I remember the intense competition among the women for the scarce supply of men.

M

I read the article and watched the short. Looks like it is a well done effort in this area.

I probably won't watch the film. It looks like people there were maybe in their late 70's and up.

At 64 I don't want to deal with this sort of thing just yet. Bad attitude ... maybe. I'd rather watch the Olympics and plan my distance running strategy for the 2016 games ;).

Back
Top Bottom